• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,434 posts in this topic

Another Blue Label [uncle Scrooge #6] should be coming soon. :wishluck:

:popcorn:

Tell us more.

I'm thinking a 7.0 if I'm lucky, a bit higher if I'm really lucky. No way it breaks the 9.0 barrier but I would be happy with a 7.0. I will post it when it gets back from spring break in a month ... or two ... three.

I thought I'd add some thoughts to this. I got my slabbed 6.5 in hand. Here it is cracked out (yes, we're back to only 3 blue label copies of this book):

Scrooge_006_zpsodjwlfc8.jpg

The overhang at the top, which is the usual state for this book, is rolled back towards the outer edge and there are a few colour breaks as a result. It'd be hard for that not to happen and the book would have to live an especially charmed life.

I'd say that it's possible, but pretty unlikely that there'd be a 9.x of this book for that reason.

Agreed. Here is my copy which is the best one I've ever seen in person.

US6fc.jpg

Here is a purchase I think I will enjoy and it was nothing more than timing. I had an ebay bucks certificate for $500 to spend this Wednesday and I had been recently looking all over ebay for some book to buy with my free money. Well I went a little deeper and now I have a well loved copy of WDC&S #1 with nice eye appeal (to me anyway). Funny its a book I never owned and always wanted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-BISHOP-ESTATE-WALT-DISNEY-039-S-COMICS-AND-STORIES-1-Dell-1940-NO-RES-/301572385125?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4jrCV1zcHxbrKAAjE7PTp2Zxzzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Really cool provenance on this. :applause: Great book and congratulations! :)

I thought I'd add some thoughts to this. I got my slabbed 6.5 in hand. Here it is cracked out (yes, we're back to only 3 blue label copies of this book):

Scrooge_006_zpsodjwlfc8.jpg

The overhang at the top, which is the usual state for this book, is rolled back towards the outer edge and there are a few colour breaks as a result. It'd be hard for that not to happen and the book would have to live an especially charmed life.

I'd say that it's possible, but pretty unlikely that there'd be a 9.x of this book for that reason.

Agreed. Here is my copy which is the best one I've ever seen in person.

US6fc.jpg

Wow, very nice! :applause:

Thank you. Its interesting how books with huge print runs, over a million copies? (shrug) , can be so scarce in high-grade. There are at least 12 copies on eBay, right now, and the highest grade might be a fn/vf.

Now I just need to find a 9.2 or higher Donald Duck #26. :insane:

Thank you. Its interesting how books with huge print runs, over a million copies? (shrug) , can be so scarce in high-grade. There are at least 12 copies on eBay, right now, and the highest grade might be a fn/vf.

Oh no, another competitor :-).

It's funny, after many years of hunting down the rarest, most beautiful Disney comics, a considerable fraction of my want list consists of inconspicuous, mid-run issues that you'd never guess would be so hard to find.

Oh no, another competitor :-).

It's funny, after many years of hunting down the rarest, most beautiful Disney comics, a considerable fraction of my want list consists of inconspicuous, mid-run issues that you'd never guess would be so hard to find.

:devil:

:foryou:

I was the under bidder when it last sold around 2008. I bid with some frustration after having lost almost everything else in the prior 18 months when prices went crazy. That result might go down in history as one of the most absurd from the Great Duck Bubble of 2006-08. It is a beautiful book, though. Many copies of this issue have a printing flaw with annoying white streaks that ruin the blue background for me.

I was the under bidder when it last sold around 2008. I bid with some frustration after having lost almost everything else in the prior 18 months when prices went crazy. That result might go down in history as one of the most absurd from the Great Duck Bubble of 2006-08. It is a beautiful book, though. Many copies of this issue have a printing flaw with annoying white streaks that ruin the blue background for me.

I thought of you when I saw this and figured you'd have noticed it.

That bubble was a little before my time as a born again collector, but it must have been crazy. I have a midgrade WDC&S 37 I paid $330 for that previously sold for $2,700. That's an even bigger multiplier than this copy saw. That said, $15k for that book won't be seen again any time soon.

Who was driving that duck bubble? Maybe Uncle Scrooge was shorting Disney books!