• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,435 posts in this topic

(actually there are many when he did the story but not the cover....). most of the early ones.

Someone else will have better info more readily than me, but I'd say #189 is the first barks cover. This would be the last of the non barks covers.

I used to think the early ones were barks too just because I'd never heard any different, and I used to wonder why they looked different than his normal style. There was the best of reasons, he didn't do them! lol They are mostly Buettner. as far as I can remember and tell from a 15 second google image search, only 189up are barks covers.

I think I actually knew that at one time and was definitely having a doh! moment.

With help from our friends at GCD, these are non-Barks covers

Interestingly, 178 was by Dan Gormley rather than Buettner. I'm not otherwise familiar with Gormley, although I like the 178 cover. In my view, Buettner was actually a good artist who ended up being overshadowed by Barks among duck fans.

absolutely, buettner was very good. just not quite as good, and obviously not nearly with the same body of work.

Please to have acquired an upgrade to MMM V5.12. My under copy is a woeful 1.0, so for me this is a big improvement!

I've always loved this issue

MMM%20V5-12_zpsetez7a5x.jpg

Those things are neat.....my Mom loved them. I would like to one day have a copy of my favorite, not sure of the number, but it has Mickey and a large Phonograph player on the cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Please to have acquired an upgrade to MMM V5.12. My under copy is a woeful 1.0, so for me this is a big improvement!

I've always loved this issue

MMM%20V5-12_zpsetez7a5x.jpg

I love it, too. Nice pickup.

I'm heading to Wonder Con this weekend and expect to find a paucity of Barks material. The stuff must not sell at shows because dealers rarely seem to have much stock. On the other hand you can occasionally find a nice deal on the odd duck book as most dealers don't seem to know how to price it anyway.

Anyone else find this the case.

If Metro is there they will have the worlds nicest copy of FC 62 (supposedly a Dell file copy) which sits unsold on their rack year after year.

Some great books above and the cover examples are a good reminder. The Kelly WDCS covers are probably equal in appeal to Barks but also very different.

The competition for me on eBay lately for MMM has been fierce. One copy sold for well over top guide and it was probably VFish

That's surprising; I wonder who is pushing the envelope on those? Maybe classic Disney covers closing in on being a ninety year old collectible?

Given their age and the paper collection drives of WW II, it is amazing that any high grade copies of MMM still exist. Of course this just makes tb's incredible collection of MMM all the more fantastic. I think I remember that he posted that he now had them all at 9.0 or higher!

The truly observant among you might've noticed the turtle crawl along a little lately. Here's the 70th and 71st steps:

wdcamps_037_zpszvqhpzdq.jpg

This one hasn't come to live with me yet, but will be liberated from its plastic tomb when it does. Very happy with the eye appeal to $ ratio on this. My second single digit WDC&S.

WDCampS_007_zpslss0wlqd.jpeg

The truly observant among you might've noticed the turtle crawl along a little lately. Here's the 70th and 71st steps:

This one hasn't come to live with me yet, but will be liberated from its plastic tomb when it does. Very happy with the eye appeal to $ ratio on this. My second single digit WDC&S.

Congrats!

I'm only putting 1 - 50 together for now, as my collection is pretty broad. Limiting runs to sub sets, or favorite issues is about all I can handle any more

Given their age and the paper collection drives of WW II, it is amazing that any high grade copies of MMM still exist. Of course this just makes tb's incredible collection of MMM all the more fantastic. I think I remember that he posted that he now had them all at 9.0 or higher!

I wish, but I'll never reach that goal as most of the issues from the first year probably don't exist in that grade (I only have 3 of 12 in 9.0). It is the average grade of my run that is very close to 9.0.

(actually there are many when he did the story but not the cover....). most of the early ones.

Someone else will have better info more readily than me, but I'd say #189 is the first barks cover. This would be the last of the non barks covers.

I used to think the early ones were barks too just because I'd never heard any different, and I used to wonder why they looked different than his normal style. There was the best of reasons, he didn't do them! lol They are mostly Buettner. as far as I can remember and tell from a 15 second google image search, only 189up are barks covers.

I think I actually knew that at one time and was definitely having a doh! moment.

With help from our friends at GCD, these are non-Barks covers

Interestingly, 178 was by Dan Gormley rather than Buettner. I'm not otherwise familiar with Gormley, although I like the 178 cover. In my view, Buettner was actually a good artist who ended up being overshadowed by Barks among duck fans.

I think Gormley drew Andy Panda and Howdy Doody covers as well. He did this drawings for a coloring book, I think. I have an early Centaur, The Arrow, with stories he drew.

6714145295_dfea95a14f_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Scrooge_6_zpsa40a2718.jpeg

I'm convinced that no truly high-grade copy of that book exists. Does anyone know of one?

I thought I'd add some thoughts to this. I got my slabbed 6.5 in hand. Here it is cracked out (yes, we're back to only 3 blue label copies of this book):

Scrooge_006_zpsodjwlfc8.jpg

The overhang at the top, which is the usual state for this book, is rolled back towards the outer edge and there are a few colour breaks as a result. It'd be hard for that not to happen and the book would have to live an especially charmed life.

I'd say that it's possible, but pretty unlikely that there'd be a 9.x of this book for that reason.

Congrats!

Your WDCS #7 is a very nice copy! Congratulations!

I'm only putting 1 - 50 together for now, as my collection is pretty broad. Limiting runs to sub sets, or favorite issues is about all I can handle any more

Scrooge_6_zpsa40a2718.jpeg

I'm convinced that no truly high-grade copy of that book exists. Does anyone know of one?

I thought I'd add some thoughts to this. I got my slabbed 6.5 in hand. Here it is cracked out (yes, we're back to only 3 blue label copies of this book):

Scrooge_006_zpsodjwlfc8.jpg

The overhang at the top, which is the usual state for this book, is rolled back towards the outer edge and there are a few colour breaks as a result. It'd be hard for that not to happen and the book would have to live an especially charmed life.

I'd say that it's possible, but pretty unlikely that there'd be a 9.x of this book for that reason.

Another Blue Label should be coming soon. :wishluck: