• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2017 at 6:49 AM, Yellow Kid said:

As all duck collectors know, a lot of people think that Trail of the Unicorn was so good that it should have been a cover story.

You mean like this? I remember buying this comic in 1971 and loving the story. (Scan from Ausreprints)

D179.PNG.0b77734c6b0f7a9033793e40e8ab72b2.PNG

23 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Last night I saw this thread and posted a photo (very poor quality photo) of some early Four Color Donalds.

To my great surprise I actually received 4 likes.

Since a few of you actually liked that IPhone photo, I decided to pull out the next 50 books and snap another photo (again with the I phone).

Hopefully, someone will enjoy this group shot (again, please forgive this poor quality of the photo)....

Next Ducks (2).jpeg

Nice Hudson. I love Duck's Action's are so hard to find these Ducks are great to buy.

Chuck speculated that part of the collection had been thrown away, as the other part of the basement was mostly empty. He points to a few scattered funny animal books in the MH stash, and a few gaps in the runs that were there are being suggestive of a bit of mixing between the two parts. Bottom line is that we'll never know, and there are almost no funny animal MHs.

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This might be a d*mb question, but are there any Mile High Comics and Stories?  There are none on the Comic Book Pedigree site...so, did Church not buy Disney's?  or is someone hoarding all of the Mile High copies?

This might be a d*mb question, but any relation?

image.png.cfdc3c2b166ce56c6d7acdb6315206e7.png

23 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
On 11/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This might be a d*mb question, but are there any Mile High Comics and Stories?  There are none on the Comic Book Pedigree site...so, did Church not buy Disney's?  or is someone hoarding all of the Mile High copies?

This might be a d*mb question, but any relation?

image.png.cfdc3c2b166ce56c6d7acdb6315206e7.png

The source of his vast fortune exposed at last!

On 11/7/2017 at 3:23 PM, AJD said:

Chuck speculated that part of the collection had been thrown away, as the other part of the basement was mostly empty. He points to a few scattered funny animal books in the MH stash, and a few gaps in the runs that were there are being suggestive of a bit of mixing between the two parts. Bottom line is that we'll never know, and there are almost no funny animal MHs.

I think Chuck's reasoning makes sense because it's hard to think of a reason why Edgar would have avoided most funny animal books, while buying just the few that were found.  Or why there are some random gaps in his other runs.  The idea that he had the funny animal books and other books separated and accidentally mixed a few from each group and that his family pitched the funny animal books (along with the few non-f.a. books included with them) accounts for both anomalies. 

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think Chuck's reasoning makes sense because it's hard to think of a reason why Edgar would have avoided most funny animal books, while buying just the few that were found.  Or why there are some random gaps in his other runs.  The idea that he had the funny animal books and other books separated and accidentally mixed a few from each group and that his family pitched the funny animal books (along with the few non-f.a. books included with them) accounts for both anomalies. 

I always thought it more that he was buying books with more realistic art for reference for his own work. He really didn't do cartooning from what I have seen so why would he want to buy funny animal work?

On 11/9/2017 at 3:30 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On 11/8/2017 at 4:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

I always thought it more that he was buying books with more realistic art for reference for his own work. He really didn't do cartooning from what I have seen so why would he want to buy funny animal work?

Didn't Church have a failed cartoon strip?  I thought I saw some OA from that at one point.

I think Chuck saw some empty space that he assumed had at one time held comics.  Wasn't the Church family in the process of throwing stuff out when he offered to buy the comics?  I'd have to go back and reread Chuck's account.  

And I think Church's behavior had become (or maybe was from the start) compulsive because there's no indication he opened most of the books, so he wasn't actually using them as reference works.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, Hudson said:

Last night I saw this thread and posted a photo (very poor quality photo) of some early Four Color Donalds.

To my great surprise I actually received 4 likes.

Since a few of you actually liked that IPhone photo, I decided to pull out the next 50 books and snap another photo (again with the I phone).

Hopefully, someone will enjoy this group shot (again, please forgive this poor quality of the photo)....

Next Ducks (2).jpeg

What an awesome GROUP SHOT !!  :applause: