• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I haven't seen that one; would love to get a copy some day.

Me neither until I stumbled across it. So I grabbed it. Nice mid-gradish; tough for treasury size. This is actually a little taller, but the cover stock is a bit thicker than Marvel/DC treasuries, at least going by hand feel.

21 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

How do you get a previous image to show up in a reply in the new system?

If the image is in the post you are directly replying to, the image should be in the reply.  If the image is in a post that the post you are replying to replied to, then you have to highlight both posts and click on "Quote this" when it appears.

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If the image is in the post you are directly replying to, the image should be in the reply.  If the image is in a post that the post you are replying to replied to, then you have to highlight both posts and click on "Quote this" when it appears.

Thanks that will take a bit of practice!

On 2/11/2017 at 5:32 AM, Sqeggs said:

Definitely not as easy as it was with the old software. 

On 2/11/2017 at 5:32 AM, Sqeggs said:

Definitely not as easy as it was with the old software. 

Boy navigating the new site is certainly not as friendly. Anyone find a thread with tips?

Here are a couple of books that turned up in a care package from Heritage yesterday. The 82nd and 83rd of the first 100. Both nice solid books with just enough issues to be easily affordable. Great PQ on both too - offwhite/white at worst, which is nice for books 73 years old.

I've picked up two more since then, but they remain a large ocean away for now.

large.5972a3cbabce2_wdcs_042.jpg.89e60785796a03944c47451662c14c61.jpg

large.5972a3d02af4d_wdcs_043.jpg.bfd85aaafd16c2cdb5ec82ac0683c696.jpg

8 hours ago, AJD said:

Here are a couple of books that turned up in a care package from Heritage yesterday. The 82nd and 83rd of the first 100. Both nice solid books with just enough issues to be easily affordable. Great PQ on both too - offwhite/white at worst, which is nice for books 73 years old.

WDCS_042_zpsrsexbwj2.jpg

WDCS_043_zpsnzuxamvs.jpg

Congrats Andrew :applause:

12 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Great finds!  The Barks books from #31-#50 seem as hard to find as any in the series except #2, which I feel has always been the most difficult and the key to completing the set.

Thanks Rich. I haven't seriously been looking for 1-5 (yet?) but I have noted that #2 is tough in any reasonable shape. I'd have guessed that #3 is similarly difficult though? #4 up seem relatively easy, though some don't seem to come up in mid-grade or better very often.

The others I need (in case anyone is interested) are 10, 11, 14, 18, 21, 34, 35, 36, 41, 45 and 48. Of those I'd say that 14, 21 and 48 seem the hardest in VG or better, though it might just be a statistical fluctuation in the sample I've looked at. Anyone with leads on any of those books is welcome to drop me a PM!

Hmm... (takes off socks and shoes to count)... yes, that's right. 84 of 100 down.

11 hours ago, sagii said:

Congrats Andrew :applause:

Thanks Corey. I don't know if I'm going to ever get those first five, but I feel good about the other 95 now.

Edited by AJD
still can't spell

17 hours ago, AJD said:

WDCS_042_zpsrsexbwj2.jpg

WDCS_043_zpsnzuxamvs.jpg

Nice books.  Seems as if someone's WDC&S collection has been slowly sold off during the HA Sunday night auctions.  Or are they Monday morning auctions for you? :)

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice books.  Seems as if someone's WDC&S collection has been slowly sold off during the HA Sunday night auctions.  Or are they Monday morning auctions for you? :)

Monday afternoon. At work. :whistle:

27 minutes ago, AJD said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Monday afternoon. At work. :whistle:

A man needs a little break during the day if he's going to be productive! :sumo:

Just now, thehumantorch said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

One of the best and one of the few stories where Barks's editors bothered to ask him for changes. 

What changes did they ask for?

He had to redraw the opening splash (deemed too scary in those pre-code days) and cut a couple of sequences in the body of the story.  One for being too scary and one for being too sexy.  Luckily the original art survived and the story appears as Barks originally intended in the recent Fantagraphics reprint.