• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2017 at 8:57 AM, sfcityduck said:

Love your US No. 1.  I really want one.  Here's my US No. 2.  I'm dying of impatience waiting for my "fast track" grade for this FC 456:

image.jpeg.2f4370623a9f98701741280ce1efa

Anyone got a US No. 3 to post?

That is a beauty! My copy is ragged but I love it as I bought it in 1974 in the pre-Internet days when finding ducks was tough business. Paid too much but I sure wanted it and it is still one of my favorites!

Third Uncle Scrooge cover and second Barks Uncle Scrooge cover (great example of Barks' skill in conveying emotions through the facial expressions of his ducks) :

11032016.JPG.f575b0ce44652b990e10bf32e68bd92f.JPG

I'm now 3/5ths of the way through the mini-run of Uncle Scrooge's first five cover appearances in decent grade with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th in hand.

37 minutes ago, GermanFan said:

Its great that Barks ducks are not in very high demand and Dell had high print runs. So that group of books is cheap to obtain.

Easy to find readers, harder than you might think to find nice copies.  But, absolute classics no matter what.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Third Uncle Scrooge cover and second Barks Uncle Scrooge cover (great example of Barks' skill in conveying emotions through the facial expressions of his ducks) :

11032016.JPG.f575b0ce44652b990e10bf32e68bd92f.JPG

I'm now 3/5ths of the way through the mini-run of Uncle Scrooge's first five cover appearances in decent grade with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th in hand.

That issue also has the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose, one of Barks's best characters.  After Scrooge, maybe the best character Barks introduced.

32 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That issue also has the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose, one of Barks's best characters.  After Scrooge, maybe the best character Barks introduced.

Well, Barks may not have introduced Huey, Dewey, and Louis, but he did introduce the Junior Woodchucks!  And I'd rate them higher on my chart than Gyro.  First appearance of Junior Woodchucks:

15083104.JPG.1ed4e08f01fceb71d1928b9836e58235.JPG

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Well, Barks may not have introduced Huey, Dewey, and Louis, but he did introduce the Junior Woodchucks!  And I'd rate them higher on my chart than Gyro.  First appearance of Junior Woodchucks:

15083104.JPG.1ed4e08f01fceb71d1928b9836e58235.JPG

Good point. I'd rank them above Gyro, as well, although I'm not sure they count as characters separate from H, D, & L.  I'd definitely rank Gyro above Grandma Duck and Gladstone.  Probably also rank him above the Beagle Boys and Magica.

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Good point. I'd rank them above Gyro, as well, although I'm not sure they count as characters separate from H, D, & L.  I'd definitely rank Gyro above Grandma Duck and Gladstone.  Probably also rank him above the Beagle Boys and Magica.

Gladstone was in many ways more interesting than Gyro. He had more range for storytelling than Gyro and was featured much more often.

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Gladstone was in many ways more interesting than Gyro. He had more range for storytelling than Gyro and was featured much more often.

Gladstone was a foil for Donald and his presence nearly always meant there would be an interesting and exciting story.  Gyro was very cool but he was an adjunct who was available to help Donald but rarely made the stories more exciting.  I can remember Luck of the North much more vividly than any story with Gyro in it.

14 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Gladstone was a foil for Donald and his presence nearly always meant there would be an interesting and exciting story.  Gyro was very cool but he was an adjunct who was available to help Donald but rarely made the stories more exciting.  I can remember Luck of the North much more vividly than any story with Gyro in it.

That's well put and sum up my feelings on the characters as well.

My 11 year old nephew and 9 year old niece each just finished reading my 11 volumes of the new Fantagraphics Barks books (took them about 3 weeks and they absolutely loved them).

I asked my nephew his 5 favorite stories and he listed one with Gladstone and one with Gyro.