• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, gadzukes said:

Looks like with a press it'll grade higher than the current high grade of 5.0.  Pretty cool to see items like this are still out there.

I went and saw this book in person. I offered her $3500 cash on spot, but she didn't take it. I looked over the book and it in my opinion is pushing a 6.5 - 7.0 as is. Inside pages looked amazing.

Then she pulled out an Four Color (1939 Series 1) #21 - Tracy cover that looked NM. I would give it a 9.4 - 9.6 easily. I have never seen a golden age book look so crisp. 
I offered her cash for that also but no go.

Then she pulled out a Donald Duck Large Feature Comic (1941) #16 that is sitting in the 7.0 - 7.5 range. Offered her cash once again, but no go again.
All of these books are her husbands that she found in her garage. Anyway, the other two were not  listed because she couldn't find what issues or prices they were going for.
She didn't know what she had, so I told her what the last one went for the one she had listed. She was going to keep it on ebay anyway and let it ride out.

The other two I told her what they were worth and she is going to take my advice and send them out to get graded before she lists them. I told her that the Large Feature needs a press to command top dollar, but don't know if she is going to do a press as she knows nothing about comics. I offered my services to her because she is a very nice older lady and we have each others contact info if she needs any help.

At least I got to hold the book in my hand!!!! lol.

2 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

I went and saw this book in person. I offered her $3500 cash on spot, but she didn't take it. I looked over the book and it in my opinion is pushing a 6.5 - 7.0 as is. Inside pages looked amazing.

Then she pulled out an Four Color (1939 Series 1) #21 - Tracy cover that looked NM. I would give it a 9.4 - 9.6 easily. I have never seen a golden age book look so crisp. 
I offered her cash for that also but no go.

Then she pulled out a Donald Duck Large Feature Comic (1941) #16 that is sitting in the 7.0 - 7.5 range. Offered her cash once again, but no go again.
All of these books are her husbands that she found in her garage. Anyway, the other two were not  listed because she couldn't find what issues or prices they were going for.
She didn't know what she had, so I told her what the last one went for the one she had listed. She was going to keep it on ebay anyway and let it ride out.

The other two I told her what they were worth and she is going to take my advice and send them out to get graded before she lists them. I told her that the Large Feature needs a press to command top dollar, but don't know if she is going to do a press as she knows nothing about comics. I offered my services to her because she is a very nice older lady and we have each others contact info if she needs any help.

At least I got to hold the book in my hand!!!! lol.

So awesome of you to offer her good advice.  Maybe that Karma will come back to you and she'll offer them up to you.

My experience with her was very similar, and I gave her virtually the same advice.  I am sure she will have the books graded but she seemed less certain about having them pressed.  Her husband had good taste and left her a nice surprise.  However, her experience does point out the need for the collector and the spouse to discuss the collection and how to dispose of it while the opportunity exists. 

I wanted to add that one of the frames in the LFC #20 was expanded, colored, and became the cover for WDC+S #19.  The same thing happened with the creation of the cover for WDC+S #9 but I can't remember in which book I saw the original frame, but it had to be one of those very early ones, either the Bubble Pipe or LFC #16.

14 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

I wanted to add that one of the frames in the LFC #20 was expanded, colored, and became the cover for WDC+S #19.  The same thing happened with the creation of the cover for WDC+S #9 but I can't remember in which book I saw the original frame, but it had to be one of those very early ones, either the Bubble Pipe or LFC #16.

I noticed the cover of WDCS 19 in LFC 20.  I like the cover.  Overstreet mentioned that the pictures in the Large Feature Paint Book were enlarged from the Sunday strip.

26634164858_e4972f5004_c.jpg26634157208_a9031c1e22_c.jpg

On 2/26/2018 at 5:25 PM, BB-Gun said:

I noticed the cover of WDCS 19 in LFC 20.  I like the cover.  Overstreet mentioned that the pictures in the Large Feature Paint Book were enlarged from the Sunday strip.

26634164858_e4972f5004_c.jpg26634157208_a9031c1e22_c.jpg

Interesting in that the image was redrawn as a swipe but not a trace. All of the little details are all just a bit different. I think the Donald in the LFC is slightly better.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Interesting in that the image was redrawn as a swipe but not a trace. All of the little details are all just a bit different. I think the Donald in the LFC is slightly better.

The rooster story is based on the cartoon "Golden Egg".  I wonder if it was inspired by Barks' chicken farm experience.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, BB-Gun said:

The rooster story is based on the cartoon "Golden Egg".  I wonder if it was inspired by Barks' chicken farm experience.

His and probably others at the studio. Most people today (and nor do I other than tales of my old relatives) have no concept of the agrarian roots of our country.

14 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

His and probably others at the studio. Most people today (and nor do I other than tales of my old relatives) have no concept of the agrarian roots of our country.

I think there is mention in Barks' biography that he was a failed chicken farmer.  I don't have the dates or the location.  I know my wife used to complain about collecting eggs as a youth when visiting family on their farm.  Chickens protected the eggs when they could. 

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I think there is mention in Barks' biography that he was a failed chicken farmer.  I don't have the dates or the location.  I know my wife used to complain about collecting eggs as a youth when visiting family on their farm.  Chickens protected the eggs when they could. 

Yes. I believe he chicken farmed in Oregon or in the Midwest. The difficulty made him take up cartooning as a better way to make a living.

While we live in suburban LA we get fresh eggs twenty miles east in the Pomona Chino area where one can still find chicken farms. Nasty smelly business!

Working through four magazine size boxes of Duck books, Four Color, WDC & S, Dell, Gold Key, which are predominantly from the Golden Age...original owner books with many featuring subscription stamps, or subscription creases, & all in various conditions...

IMG_20180321_070804~2.jpg

IMG_20180321_070741~2.jpg

Edited by First Upgrade
typo

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

Working through four magazine boxes of Duck books, Four Color, WDC & S, Dell, Gold Key, which are predominantly from the Golden Age...original owner books with many featuring subscription stamps, or subscription creasrs, & all in various conditions...

Cool

9 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Working through four magazine size boxes of Duck books, Four Color, WDC & S, Dell, Gold Key, which are predominantly from the Golden Age...original owner books with many featuring subscription stamps, or subscription creases, & all in various conditions...

That's a trove of duck treasure right there! Great find! Looks like some giants in that pile too.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

I was surprised that an FC 178 9.2 OW-W sold for $8,200 on CC tonight.  Seems high.  I was thinking it would sell for closer to $5K.  No recent sales on GPA, though, so maybe it was an unusual opportunity to score a high-grade copy and a couple of people extended themselves for it.