• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

I bought the first Barks HC and loved it.  Not sure if I want to collect the individual issues, but i'm hooked now.

Enjoy the Barks Crack! 

(hm that doesn't sound right; too street for Barks.  Barks Pop?  Barks Chocolate?  mmm, Barks chocolate.)

Just now, Pirate said:

Now trying 1st HC of Rosa's Uncle Scrooge.  Guess i'm all over the place reading the stuff.

Rosa's Uncle Scrooge is excellent!  He is the reason I started collecting Scrooge books back in the 80s.:whee:

do you suggest i read one library at a time or switch around?  I know the stories are chronological, but do they necessarily have to be read in order?

52 minutes ago, Pirate said:

do you suggest i read one library at a time or switch around?  I know the stories are chronological, but do they necessarily have to be read in order?

You can jump around on the Barks stuff especially the Walt Disney Comics and stories gems.  Rosa is best read in order especially the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.  I would read Barks before Rosa to get the full flavor of Rosa's detail but it is not required.

I was over at the Disney studio tonight and found myself walking through the Legends Plaza where the great movers and shakers of the Disney universe get immortalized in plaque form. I knew that Carl Barks had been given this honor so I thought it would be fun to find his plaque. Here's the closest you can get to shaking Carl's hands these days and he also happens to be in good Disney company!

tn_BarksLegendAward.JPG

7 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Very cool, I was not aware of this area.  Are there any other comic greats in the area?  Gottfredson for example.  Thanks for sharing.

Rich, Gottfredson was there but I didn't snap a picture. I did not see Al Taliaferro though whom you would think would rate a plaque next to Clarence Nash who was there. And oddly in the past I remember seeing Kay Kaymen but despite looking at all the plaques I didn't see him last night so I must have somehow missed him. The Legends plaza has been there since the early nineties and is located under the Team Disney building that Michael Eisner had built. That's the building with the Seven Dwarves holding up the upper portion of the building. Here's a picture and you can see the plaques all around.

Legendsplaza.jpg

Frank,

Next time you visit the area, please take pictures of all of the plaques.  It would be interesting to see who made the Disney Hall of Fame.  This is so cool--is it open to the public?

Rich

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Frank,

Next time you visit the area, please take pictures of all of the plaques.  It would be interesting to see who made the Disney Hall of Fame.  This is so cool--is it open to the public?

Rich

Rich, no you need to have business on the lot to see this area. Although business on the lot sometimes includes weekend movie screenings with guests! If you watch the movie, A Reluctant Dragon you can see how the studio looked right after it opened. The original parts of the lot look pretty much the same today. The new buildings have been built up around the old buildings. The old Animation building was built to be a hospital in case the studio failed. That didn't happen and Saint Joseph's Hospital was built across the street. That's where Walt passed away.

if you haven't read the book The Disney Version by Richard Schickel you might want to get it. This book was written in the mid sixties and has a good history of the development of the studio. I read it long ago but it was fascinating.

Frank,

Thank goodness for Google.  I looked up Disney Legends and everything you could want is on the internet.  You can see who is added each year since its inception in 1987 and the list is both long and impressive.  I started to count them and gave up as it looked like there might be around 250 people.  It would make a great book with the plaque and the person's contribution on each page.

Rich

2 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Frank,

Thank goodness for Google.  I looked up Disney Legends and everything you could want is on the internet.  You can see who is added each year since its inception in 1987 and the list is both long and impressive.  I started to count them and gave up as it looked like there might be around 250 people.  It would make a great book with the plaque and the person's contribution on each page.

Rich

Barks was a very early entry.  Not sure why the award was started or why Fred MacMurray was the first recipient.  The second class of recipients were a mentor of Roy Disney and the girl actor from the "Alice" cartoons.  The third class is where it got serious, with Ub Iwerks and the Nine Old Men.  The next class honored the Sherman borthers and key imagineers.  The fifth class featured a very deserving group, including Carl, Julie Andrews, Fess Parker, Mary Blair, Sterling Holloway, etc.  At the induction ceremony, Carl famously said (too much laughter):

“I want to thank all the kids that bought my comic books for a dime and are now selling them for $2,000.”

Can someone please explain to me how this auction description (and CGC label note) makes sense:

Four Color #328 Donald Duck (Dell, 1951) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages. This copy of "Donald Duck in Old California", with story and art by Carl Barks, is tied for CGC's highest grade for the issue with one other copy. This issue is widely considered to be issue #2 of the Donald Duck series. Overstreet 2018 NM- 9.2 value = $1,150. CGC census 7/18: 2 in 9.6, none higher.    

The numbering of Donald Duck started with No. 26.  Maybe you can correspond that to someone failing to count the Four Color's correctly, but how do you get FC 328 to be DD No. 2?  

I'm wondering if this is a "copyright protecting error" that CGC and Heritage use.  Or am I missing a bunch of DD four colors after FC 328?  For that matter, what FC is DD 1?

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Can someone please explain to me how this auction description (and CGC label note) makes sense:

The numbering of Donald Duck started with No. 26.  Maybe you can correspond that to someone failing to count the Four Color's correctly, but how do you get FC 328 to be DD No. 2?  

I'm wondering if this is a "copyright protecting error" that CGC and Heritage use.  Or am I missing a bunch of DD four colors after FC 328?  For that matter, what FC is DD 1?

If you look at the top left-hand corner of FC 318 and 328 you will see the marking DD 1 and DD 2 respectively.

41983450160_d66540929a_b.jpgO

If you count the number of WDDD four colors you will see there are 25.  Perhaps they gave up on the above numbering system and started with 26 because there were 25 WDDDs already published.

27053589292_484443f1f1_b.jpg

26544332383_8b2e91ac67_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

From gcd

"The Donald Duck issues of Four Color (Dell, 1942 series), #147, 159, 178, 189, 199, 203, 223, 238, 256, 263, 275, 282, 291, 300, 308, 318, 328, 339, 348, 356, 367, 379, 394, 408 & 422, are considered by Dell as the first 25 issues of this series."  FC 4 (first series),  FC9, FC29, FC 62,  FC 108 don't count in the run.

Thanks for the two explanations.  So Dell was going to start the numbering of the DD series with 318, but changed gears and instead went with numbering that took into account the prior DD "one-shots," albeit with an incorrect count.  Personally, I would not be shocked if the right answer is that Barks supplied the DD numbers, ignoring the books for which he did no interior stories after he started working on the "one-shots" (which would leave out FC 339, 348, 356, 379, and 394, right?).  E.g., sticking to the Barks' canon (and with respect to Al Talafiero).

Ducks did well at Heritage today.  FC 367 9.6 up an incredible over 40% from a year ago, FC 62 9.0 also up around 40% from two years ago, FC 199 9.2 up about 14% from a year ago, FC 328 9.6 also up from the sale of the exact same book a mere year ago, FC 159 9.0  up from a year ago.  Only a contrary indicator is FC 147 9.2 down from a year ago.

22 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

From gcd

"The Donald Duck issues of Four Color (Dell, 1942 series), #147, 159, 178, 189, 199, 203, 223, 238, 256, 263, 275, 282, 291, 300, 308, 318, 328, 339, 348, 356, 367, 379, 394, 408 & 422, are considered by Dell as the first 25 issues of this series."  FC 4 (first series),  FC9, FC29, FC 62,  FC 108 don't count in the run.

I think we had a long discussion of this in another thread.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to start the numbering with 147, other than that makes 25 issues before DD 26.  I looked up in Overstreet how they did it with other characters that began in FC and then graduated to their own series.  Iirc (and I probably don't!), the most common approach they used was to throw out the FCs and restart the numbering with issue 1.  When there were only a few FCs (like Uncle Scrooge), then they started the numbering with the correct issue (e.g., US 4).  But some of the other characters with long runs also started their own series with a number that wasn't consistent with the count of FC issues.

My guess on DD, is that they just pulled the number 26 out of a hat.  It's evident how little thought they gave to the comic collecting audience (probably negligible for these books at the time), that they didn't consider a possible sales bounce from labeling an issue as Donald Duck 1.  Of course, maybe they were also evading the requirement to put down another deposit for a second-class mailing permit with a new book. 

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Thanks for the two explanations.  So Dell was going to start the numbering of the DD series with 318, but changed gears and instead went with numbering that took into account the prior DD "one-shots," albeit with an incorrect count.  Personally, I would not be shocked if the right answer is that Barks supplied the DD numbers, ignoring the books for which he did no interior stories after he started working on the "one-shots" (which would leave out FC 339, 348, 356, 379, and 394, right?).  E.g., sticking to the Barks' canon (and with respect to Al Talafiero).

Possible, although from what I understand, Barks had little or no editorial input. 

I try to peck away at my stack of old comics to read every Sunday if I can. I've got a pretty eclectic mix of books stacked up, Secret Orgins #1 from 1960, some Kitchen Spirit reprints, an early Looney Tunes (#3 I think), some Gold Key Magnus, some early sixties Mads and even a Help Magazine. Well today I was happy to see I had yet to read a copy of WDCS #79 that I had picked up at Wonder Con in the spring. Nothing like reading a good Barks' tale and it is one I had never read before! Donald's nephews sabotage a springtime picnic that Donald plans for Daisy. Of course the usual back up features like Bucky Bug and Lil Bad Wolf are there and the Mickey serial was good too! Great way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon!

tn_WDCS79.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs