• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AJD said:

The #6 in the photo was a VG+ I bought from Mr Bedrock. I think it was trimmed, but it presented pretty well. Now I have a de-slabbed 6.5 As I'm sure you know because you asked that question, it's a very tough book in grade! Here's the upgrade. I'd really like a nice bright 8.0, but wouldn't we all? lol

large.Scrooge_006.jpg.142738b5e0912686583f0b8daf954cfa.jpg

You are the only one, besides me, that has a 6.5. Looks like there is a 7 and a couple of 8s on the census. Imagine the feeding frenzy if one of those came up for sale.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

You are the only one, besides me, that has a 6.5. Looks like there is a 7 and a couple of 8s on the census. Imagine the feeding frenzy if one of those came up for sale.

I think it would fetch a pretty solid price. A few years ago I tried to let Overstreet know about the scarcity of this one in high grade, with the usual result. meh It lists #6 at $775 in 9.2 - yeah, ok, I'll take one at that price.

Even Duck books aren’t immune to Collectiblepalooza 2020-21 it seems...

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Speaking of duck prices, did anyone else notice this outlier at Heritage recently? A 9.2 sold for less last year!

381603838_WDCS46sale.thumb.JPG.01dc022ffab28f6c60a04912a553af79.JPG

1 hour ago, AJD said:

@dikran1 Heritage sold a FC series 1 #4 in May last year for $5,280. It was a 5.5, also with light tan to offwhite pages. Given that I think a price around $4,000 - $4,500 would be a reasonable estimate. But that's a year ago, so it's probably now a $30k book. lol

Ah yes! I had bought my FC 178 in that auction! 

11 hours ago, AJD said:

Speaking of duck prices, did anyone else notice this outlier at Heritage recently? A 9.2 sold for less last year!

381603838_WDCS46sale.thumb.JPG.01dc022ffab28f6c60a04912a553af79.JPG

Its a great cover but whaaaa? Saudi oil money I guess.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, dikran1 said:

ComicLink has a FC 4 Cgc 4.5 coming up in a couple days, any predictions on final price? 
Can't remember if there’s been one for auction in the last year...

C0237DAE-B2A9-40AB-A4B7-FBCED8BAE63B.jpeg

Well, the final price will be in the order of 4k I guess, but the copy is under CGC slab since 2010: I'm rather suspicious of the real conditions after 11y. I read the slab can slightly damage the comic when it has already some defects and some comics "regraded" after a few years, were downgraded by CGC (apparently CGC was larger in grading a few years ago). I buy CGC only if within the last 5y (although I prefer no-slabbed copies, to be able to read them).

Edited by DavideD
Some precisions added to the message

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I had to buy this copy. Mid-grade with white pages! :x

wdc&s_69_front.jpg

I'm not normally a huge fan of the Kelly WDC&S covers; at least compared to most of Kelly's work.  What makes him stand out normally gets lost in his adherence to staying on model and not having room to, for lack of a better term, animate the characters.

But the expression on the bee is just classic Kelly, as is the cork in the pistol.  I may need to track down a copy of this one.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:45 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm not normally a huge fan of the Kelly WDC&S covers; at least compared to most of Kelly's work.  What makes him stand out normally gets lost in his adherence to staying on model and not having room to, for lack of a better term, animate the characters.

But the expression on the bee is just classic Kelly, as is the cork in the pistol.  I may need to track down a copy of this one.

I actually think Buettner was a better duck cover artist. Some of his covers are really just fantastic. This WDCS though is one of Kelly's best and I bet it sold like proverbial hot cakes.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I actually think Buettner was a better duck cover artist. Some of his covers are really just fantastic. This WDCS though is one of Kelly's best and I bet it sold like proverbial hot cakes.

It sure did if the number of copies for sale on eBay is any indication. Makes me believe that their circulation really was above a million copies.

Edited by Badger