• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Ha I was just kidding! Is that actually from Bullet Valley! I'll have to look up a reprint!!

I think it’s the story with the ski lodge and the avalanche or is that yet another country song? 😂

8 hours ago, dikran1 said:

I think it’s the story with the ski lodge and the avalanche or is that yet another country song? 😂

That's the one. A 10 pages from WDC&S 137 known as the "screaming cowboy".

Lovely books Rich, but the first one looks like Taliaferro artwork to me - I wouldn't be surprised if it's from a daily. Definitely Kelly on the totem pole cover though.

I don't have any MoC books, but I wish I did.

7 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

The recent interest in Barks Donald Duck books outside of the Four Color series prompted me to take a look at my collection.  I had forgotten how much I liked the March of Comics issues after #4, 20, and 41.  The next two issues, #56 and #69 each had covers by Walt Kelly and a small amount of art by Barks on the back cover .  I thought Kelly's cover on #69 was especially striking.  

DD MOD 56 Kelly front cover.jpg

DD MOD 56 Barks back cover.jpg

DD MOD 69 Kelly front cover.jpg

DD MOD 69 Barks back cover.jpg

Those are books you simply never see Rich. I've seen pictures of the first but never the second to my recollection and certainly not the back covers! Kelly's duck covers are inconsistent and some are really great and others he seems to miss the mark. Buettner on the other hand always seemed to nail his duck covers and some of my favorites are by him. Of course no one holds a candle to Barks' stories or characters! Thanks for posting these Rich. I am actually going to a small comic show tomorrow. First one in 16 months! Hope to snag a fun Dell!

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Those are books you simply never see Rich. I've seen pictures of the first but never the second to my recollection and certainly not the back covers! Kelly's duck covers are inconsistent and some are really great and others he seems to miss the mark. Buettner on the other hand always seemed to nail his duck covers and some of my favorites are by him. Of course no one holds a candle to Barks' stories or characters! Thanks for posting these Rich. I am actually going to a small comic show tomorrow. First one in 16 months! Hope to snag a fun Dell!

Walt Kelly is one of my all-time favorite comic artists, along with Sheldon Mayer.  But I tend to think his Duck covers are hit or miss as well; I think part of the issue is he was almost TOO professional in doing them.  He stayed perfectly on model and couldn't bring his own style to them a lot of the time.  But when given an element that he could work his magic on, like the totem pole, or the bug on the classic "Donald shooting the bug on his beak" cover, and he did some great ones as well.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:00 AM, Yellow Kid said:

I thought Kelly's cover on #69 was especially striking.  

DD MOD 69 Kelly front cover.jpg

You learn something new every day!  FC 263 is a sentimental favorite for me, and I didn't know about this Totem pole cover.

1 hour ago, AJD said:

I had a lot of Dell WDC&S issues between 100 and 263 in about VG. They were taking up a lot of space and not really doing it for me, so I sold them all off and used the funds to buy a smaller number of higher grade issues. Though I'm not getting nosebleed high grade copies, I'm happy with the results. Here are some new ones in.

large.1647459987_WDCS251.jpg.cb3507604879ab2b12bcd5749773f436.jpg

large.1782746625_WDCS222.jpg.2d46485688ce647a417a625a9e904bad.jpg

large.664467538_WDCS121.jpg.7df1c3993358deacae5ed56b66d8a475.jpg

Those look purty high grade to me! Nice books!

Lovely books, Andrew. The plain bold colours on the covers are a delight and it's interesting that as the title continued the covers managed to have reduced copy/blurb and of course no word balloons.

Right up until Gold Key took over doh!

15 hours ago, AJD said:

I had a lot of Dell WDC&S issues between 100 and 263 in about VG. They were taking up a lot of space and not really doing it for me, so I sold them all off and used the funds to buy a smaller number of higher grade issues. Though I'm not getting nosebleed high grade copies, I'm happy with the results. Here are some new ones in.

large.1647459987_WDCS251.jpg.cb3507604879ab2b12bcd5749773f436.jpg

large.1782746625_WDCS222.jpg.2d46485688ce647a417a625a9e904bad.jpg

large.664467538_WDCS121.jpg.7df1c3993358deacae5ed56b66d8a475.jpg

Interesting idea; I've got piles of those too also not in great shape. Where did you sell them and about how much were you able to get for a copy. Certainly some great reading in them.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’ve often thought of finishing up cheap runs of the Barks ones and having them bound. Not worth much anyway and would be fun to read a bunch of them easily. 

If shipping wasn't so expensive you could put an inexpensive low grade run together on EBay in a month or two! Probably would only be tough for the first twenty or so Barks issues but even those show up in lower grades often enough.