• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those that scan 100 comics at once...what dpi do you scan at?

35 posts in this topic

I have an HP scan jet 8250 and I have my dpi set a 260 to keep the size down.

I don't scan a 100 at a time though but would still use this setting if I did.

How does this look.

Somehow I lost my settings and like a i d i o t, I didn't save them so I tried to duplicate as best I can. The 2nd image is what I have now..Not as good as the first image but it will have to do.

cYz0D1L.jpg

Zaaj9Pz.jpg

How can you make the image to fit the whole width of the page?

Here are a couple examples from my HP 8300 at 600 dpi. I'm using vuescan standard and a Mac.

X-Men%20%20266%20front_zpsfipr2dpp.jpg

Blue%20Ribbon%20%209%20front_zpsu9g4qnp8.jpg

Can anybody help me get the scans a bit more crisp? I already have the sharpen and descreen options on.

I would prefer not to have to adjust the scans in another separate step, but rather get it all the way I want it right off the scanner so to speak.

I've always found 300 dpi to be the sweet spot for time and clarity.

This book was scanned on an Epson Perfection V600 into Photoshop, resized to 700 pixels across (approximately "actual size" on my monitor), then saved for the web with no compression. I ran the stopwatch from the moment I pressed SCAN until the scanner completely stopped.

72 dpi - 10.95 sec, file size 866.8k

AA01-072.jpg

90 dpi - 11.00 sec, file size 956.5k

AA01-090.jpg

100 dpi - 10.91 sec, file size 1033.9k

AA01-100.jpg

300 dpi - 12.80 sec, file size 938.2k

AA01-300.jpg

600 dpi - 24.31 sec, file size 936.9k

AA01-600.jpg

Here are a couple examples from my HP 8300 at 600 dpi. I'm using vuescan standard and a Mac.

X-Men%20%20266%20front_zpsfipr2dpp.jpg

Blue%20Ribbon%20%209%20front_zpsu9g4qnp8.jpg

Can anybody help me get the scans a bit more crisp? I already have the sharpen and descreen options on.

I would prefer not to have to adjust the scans in another separate step, but rather get it all the way I want it right off the scanner so to speak.

Shutting OFF descreen and sharpen would help get an unaltered image of the book. Which is what most people would want.

It really depends what you are going to do with them. If you are going to just post here, on ebay or post on a computer, 72 dpi is fine. That is all the resolution you are going to get on a computer monitor.

Can anyone really see any difference in Strong guy's Amazing Adventure #1 scans?

If you want to print them out, that is a different story. The higher dpi the better.

It really depends what you are going to do with them. If you are going to just post here, on ebay or post on a computer, 72 dpi is fine. That is all the resolution you are going to get on a computer monitor.

Can anyone really see any difference in Strong guy's Amazing Adventure #1 scans?

If you want to print them out, that is a different story. The higher dpi the better.

I was just about to say that they all looked the same to me.

How does this look.

Somehow I lost my settings and like a i d i o t, I didn't save them so I tried to duplicate as best I can. The 2nd image is what I have now..Not as good as the first image but it will have to do.

cYz0D1L.jpg

Zaaj9Pz.jpg

I guess you just have to crop it. Is this what you're asking?

I had my HP 8300 scanner do the scanning at 200 to 300 dpi depend what I check on screen each time. If I don't like it, I go to 300 dpi re-scan again. And yes, I have done from 50 to 100 books before, usually take me 1-2 hours,

How does this look.

cYz0D1L.jpg

Zaaj9Pz.jpg

I guess you just have to crop it. Is this what you're asking?

No. What I mean is that your scan fit the whole screen, from left to right, but mine doesn't. How do you adjust that? Basically your scans looks bigger (even if scanned with a lower resolution).

Here is what I do + a nerdy explanation on scan size + resolution.

On big batches of scans, I do it at 100 DPI because is almost as fast as the minimum (75 DPI) on my scanner.

200 takes almost double the time and I don´t have a 150DPI option. The problem at 100 is that is not large enough to get a good zoom on Ebay for example.

Because of that I use an automatic batch process to increase the dpi from 100 to 150 for all images after I scan them (takes about a minute in PaintShop Pro for 100 images). You can use batch processes to increase/decrease to any DPI you want.

This said, once you upload to a web software, each one will treat the image differently.

Most sites will adjust to 72 DPI while proportionally increasing dimensions. Some will convert EVERYTHING to the same size defeating the purpose of scan resolution.

The first is a scan that was taken at 100 DPI, the second is the first one, converted to 150 using software. Both have 18 X 26 cm in my computer.

Once uploaded to Imgur the first one will be converted to 72 DPI and increase to 25 X 37 Cm

Once uploaded to Imgur the second one will be converted to 72 DPI and increase to 37 X 55 Cm

On photobucket both images were converted to 72 DPI and increased to 24 X 36 Cm

100 VS 150 on IMGUR

dBxnzVy.jpg

UsFTDPV.jpg

100 VS 150 on PHOTOBUCKET

Alias%2024%20100_zpsbuqgmx4f.jpg

Alias%2024%20180_zpsvqhy9n6u.jpg

I scan all my books for the purpose of posting on eBay, and upload them to Photobucket. I always thought 300 dpi was the way to go, but I think I need to try out 100 or less if it's quicker. I just hope my Mac/scanner doesn't do anything funky with the image sizes.

600 dpi, cropped and resized to 50% directly within the HP software. The files come out under 7mb in about 15 seconds ready to upload to eBay. I have a new epson CCD on the way, that should take care of any of the blur I get (notice the back cover overhang on the top right corner of the front cover scan).

Examples - Click for full size:

8PoTcYMl.jpg g0PvvUbl.jpg

I recently switched from 600 to 400 using my relatively new to me HP 8300. It's very fast. I use an old Mac with VueScan standard to process the images. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in the scan going from 600 to 400 dpi. I just sharpen the image once with VueScan as the scan itself is taken and then sharpen again in Preview which is what my Mac uses to view the scan once its complete.

X-Men%20%20101%20front_zps79c359iw.jpg

I think I'm getting pretty darn good scans of raw books at this point. And I believe they are an accurate representation of the book itself.

I'd still love to get some more tips from those with more experience however. I'm probably 2/3 done with scanning my fairly small collection of probably 1,400 books or so.