• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age Readers + $ 2 Ikea Frames = Happy Kids

20 posts in this topic

Spruced up empty wall at bottom of steps leading to my children's play room with some old Bronze Age Readers in cheap Ikea frames. Chose the poorest condition books of their favorite heroes. They were ecstatic especially my daughter to see "Girl heroes" ..... No, I do not read or collect Lois Lanes. My sister read them as a kid.

2n0lmxg.jpg

2zgbtaa.jpg

UPDATE: My son insisted he gets a mini shrine in his room. Thats it. Wife cut me off.

2nqbi8k.jpg

Props to the IKEA Hack guy: http://www.yousephtanha.com/blog/2011/05/02/ikea-comic-book-photo-frame-hack/

Hope she's not too freaked out by that WW207.

Ha! I actually second guessed that one! But I thought about it and if it were superman and batman instead, I wouldn't question a thing so I kept it. That and it was missing the back cover so I couldn't resist.

Well done dad! Looks great! (thumbs u

Hey, about those IKEA frames - I have also some and I noticed the clear plastic fronts look kind of "murky" when I put a book in them - nowhere near as clear as your pics show. Did you use the clear plastic fronts that come with them or did you just leave them off?

Hey, about those IKEA frames - I have also some and I noticed the clear plastic fronts look kind of "murky" when I put a book in them - nowhere near as clear as your pics show. Did you use the clear plastic fronts that come with them or did you just leave them off?

There is a protective film on both sides of the fronts that you have to peel off. (Took me the first few books until I figured that out myself).

Thanks all!

There is a protective film on both sides of the fronts that you have to peel off. (Took me the first few books until I figured that out myself).

Oh. Wow.

WOW.

:tonofbricks::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

Thanks! :cool:

I just got a bunch of these frames and plan to display books at my office as well as the house.

A couple of Framing questions

I primarily have black frames as well as black card stock. Do you remove the white backing board?

Do you tape or otherwise affix the bag to the cardstock so the book is centered or simply let it rest on the bottom of the frame?

DIsplaying reader copies or any comic book without much value is what I've done too, it's great to see that nostalgic / vintage look with originals (as opposed to copies or printouts of the cover) without any regard to the current or future value knowing they're pretty much assured to be worth less (not worthless) to the marketplace than as a piece of art.

You figure a nice poster costs you $6-10 unframed. By buying an inexpensive frame and low cost comic boo, you might be all-in between $5-10 for a framed piece of "art" that adds character and decor.

Many people, non-comic collectors see the old $0.10, $0.12, and $0.15 cover priced comics on the walls thinking they're worth lots of $ - - not knowing much about how condition is a key correlation to value. I sometimes need to assure folks they're not, in part to not seem too crazy and also so there's no gossip about any treasure trove on open display ('tho in truth, I'd almost find it funny if a thief broke in and took the junky comics off the wall thinking they're a goldmine).

It's great for a kid's room or anyone who likes quirky pop culture decor.

I just got a bunch of these frames and plan to display books at my office as well as the house.

A couple of Framing questions

I primarily have black frames as well as black card stock. Do you remove the white backing board?

Do you tape or otherwise affix the bag to the cardstock so the book is centered or simply let it rest on the bottom of the frame?

No tape and no resting on bottom of the frame. It seals very tight, so books stay in place. I left the board in some bags and took it out in others depending on condition. Some of those books were even missing pieces of the back cover. Because of the general bad shape these books are in, I really didn't do much in terms of preservation. It was all about presentation.

Many people, non-comic collectors see the old $0.10, $0.12, and $0.15 cover priced comics on the walls thinking they're worth lots of $ - - not knowing much about how condition is a key correlation to value. I sometimes need to assure folks they're not, in part to not seem too crazy and also so there's no gossip about any treasure trove on open display ('tho in truth, I'd almost find it funny if a thief broke in and took the junky comics off the wall thinking they're a goldmine).

That's funny. I have to reassure some of the parents of my children's friends that the books aren't worth much in their condition. Happened twice already. "These are probably worth a lot" or "you should get these appraised" really puts a smile on my face. What is funny is that my wife and I have been out for dinner quite a few times and hung out with parents of my daughter's classmate for about two years now and it turned out he was a collector. It never came up until he saw the wall.

Little bump for this one

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80301792/

If you want to go a little more to $4.99 (£3 in the UK) then these are pretty nice. They close shut via a magnet and the only piece held in place by those annoying black tabs is the acrylic screen. They are a little deep but that means you can bag and board them and create a mount around them without squishing it all in. Might need a little tape if it does slide. Just a nice easy way of taking them out if need be.

Im waiting for some mounting board to come so I can finish mine off. I'm using them for sketch covers which are that little thicker and bulge the $2 frames a little.