• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

War...War never changes... (The Fallout 4 Thread)

34 posts in this topic

I got it on Xbox One. I've logged 5-6 hours so far. I got to be honest there is a lot of things about it that aren't great. Apparently a common issue on consoles (Xbox in particular) is a stutter/frame rate drop. I get it often.

The graphics aren't super. Some aspects of the game look great and at other times you ask "is this a game made for 2015 or 2005?". Character models and animation being the worst.

Speaking of characters, npc characters have terrible AI, especially pathing. Seeing an npc or companion get stuck over and over gets old.

The UI is bad for a modern game. All of the menus to interact with inventory and what not. It's just not done well.

Otherwise it's a fun setting and narrative and I'm sure I'll get my $60 worth. I'd say it's a 3 stars out of 5.

The graphics aren't super. Some aspects of the game look great and at other times you ask "is this a game made for 2015 or 2005?". Character models and animation being the worst.

Apparently, it's using an updated version of the Skyrim, PS3-era engine.

I got it on Xbox One. I've logged 5-6 hours so far. I got to be honest there is a lot of things about it that aren't great. Apparently a common issue on consoles (Xbox in particular) is a stutter/frame rate drop. I get it often.

Speaking of characters, npc characters have terrible AI, especially pathing. Seeing an npc or companion get stuck over and over gets old.

The UI is bad for a modern game. All of the menus to interact with inventory and what not. It's just not done well.

Otherwise it's a fun setting and narrative and I'm sure I'll get my $60 worth. I'd say it's a 3 stars out of 5.

I played a few hours this morning, and I wasn't all that impressed. It felt like more of the same. The intro was cool.

I was tempted to wait and sort of felt like I should have. I also hate how you pretty much have to buy the season pass these days.

All in all, I bet I'm back to doing the Raid on Destiny tomorrow.

PC version is great...then again I didn't play Fallout 3 or New Vegas for very long....so for me it's fun. Companions are glitchy but there's work arounds for that. I thought the story inside the Vault was well done...pretty shocking.

I agree with all of the comments regarding the look of the game and the AI, the appeal of Bethesda games has always been about the story though and I am enjoying that part. I doubt that they will be able to pull off a commercially viable game using the same old engine again however. With the power inherent in XB1/PS4 they can and should provide a better visual product.

I agree with all of the comments regarding the look of the game and the AI, the appeal of Bethesda games has always been about the story though and I am enjoying that part. I doubt that they will be able to pull off a commercially viable game using the same old engine again however. With the power inherent in XB1/PS4 they can and should provide a better visual product.

I agree, I expect a new game engine for the next iteration. But since Bethesda took over the franchise, the Fallout series never looks as good as the Elder Scrolls games, most likely due to their respective settings. Grassy fields, waterfalls cascading over snowy mountains, etc. tend to look nicer than a city destroyed by a nuke. lol

But I'm having fun playing, and haven't experienced any glitches yet. My dog jumping in my line of fire is pretty annoying. I'm not a fan of cpu controlled followers, they tend to be annoying.

Fun fact: you can take the Lone Wanderer perk, which boosts your defense and carrying capacity if you don't have a companion, and still have it work if you roll with Dogmeat.

As someone who hates cpu companions, this is pretty cool. You can still use the dog as a pack mule while reaping the benefits of a great perk.

As someone who likes to sneak around, however, Dogmeat is me off. As I was sneaking up on a raider camp, this happened:

Me: Dogmeat, stay here

Dogmeat: bark!

Raiders: what was that?! *blam blam blam*

Me: :censored: you Dogmeat! :facepalm:

Apparently, it's using an updated version of the Skyrim, PS3-era engine.

Yeah, I was showing the game to a friend last night who doesn't own a current gen console, and he asked me if all games looked "like that" because it "didn't look any better" than the last gen (360, PS3). I explained that most games look amazing, but this one has been taking a lot of criticism for its graphics. To my eye, there's no question that it looks much smoother and better than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I do understand that compared to most current gen games, it is a little lacking. That being said, as I explained to him, I don't play these games for the graphics, I play them for the storytelling. And on that front, I'm engrossed. I'm only about 14 hours in, Level 10, but I'm having a ball.

I figured I'd bump this thread to see if anyone is having as much fun building settlements as I am. I no longer care about finding my lost son, avenging my dead wife, or helping/destroying the Brotherhood or the Institute. All I want to do is pick up garbage and build stuff with it. lol

I've been having fun with the light box setups, making little animated signs you can see across the Comonwealth. They take a ton of copper to make, though. Maybe I'll make a giant Wolverine like this guy did

wolverine-fallout-4-billboard.jpg