• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 40 page on Ebay

50 posts in this topic

I think a big factor in prelim collectibility is the level of detail. The Swamp cover was fairly detailed. This page is fairly sketchy. But it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it.

Considering you can get an actual inked published double splash page of Romita for $8500 that price is way out of whack. I say it's worth maybe $1,000. Maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-John-Romita-sr-Marvel-Spider-man-Family-Peter-Parker-Gwen-Mary-Jane-/351567517845?hash=item51db0e9895:g:uLQAAOSwEeFU~Hjb

Why even make this comment about a fellow board member's item?

Because I knew it would cause others to defend the price and back it up with data. Thus helping him sell the item.

I would have to think that the most desirable and most heavily-collected prelims are those Bolland did for Killing Joke. I believe those go for $1-5k each depending on content and how tightly they were finished. And these are prelims for published pages that go for $50-100k each.

I would have to think that the most desirable and most heavily-collected prelims are those Bolland did for Killing Joke. I believe those go for $1-5k each depending on content and how tightly they were finished. And these are prelims for published pages that go for $50-100k each.

Id say top of market is 10-15k? As gsx1 cover prelim did 7k quite a while ago now and I'm sure the KJ cover prelim and others would do well.

Another way to look at it is they normally do 5-10% of the final, maybe 20% in exceptional cases. I wouldn't see any reason for these to do more than the 5-10%

I'd rather have a double portrait than an entire book of prelims. Prelims don't do much for me.

To each his own. But 1k won't fetch a 9.4 copy of the published book or one percent of the highest priced ASM cover recreation. Best we can do with unique items is determine whether we think it's cool and then just how cool we think it is, compared to other common items which have a similar coolness and more sales and established price points.

I sold this exact penciled asm 40 page that is on ebay. i sold it 5-10 years ago privately...i think i sold it for around 8-10K but I cant remember. it's certainly worth alot more today! So the 1k price is not very realistic. I have the unpublished (and half inked) ASM 43 splash on ebay on my site.... (This has probably the 2nd EVER INKED drawing of MJ on it...so it's historic in its own right) I have it for sale for 14.5k without any takers right now. So who knows the true value of any comic art pieces...especially unpublished art?..... but like anything else in our hobby..... something is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. :)

Well I learned something in this thread-I never realized prelims could be so valuable. I would see all kinds of Buscema prelims etc on ebay go for $150 so I figured they weren't worth much.

Well I learned something in this thread-I never realized prelims could be so valuable.

Small painted prelims by Frank Frazetta are prized and fetch good money.

I have the Marshall Rogers painted cover prelim for Harlan Ellison's 1980s graphic novel adaptation of his award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand. Quite detailed and polished. Harlan reportedly owns the finished cover, so it's the next best thing for me. Paid $600 for it, earlier this year, and it's something I treasure (I'm a big fan of the OL episode).

Well I learned something in this thread-I never realized prelims could be so valuable.

Yes although in fairness I think those tiny fritz prelims are losing ground relative to other artwork, frazetta or not.

I have the Marshall Rogers painted cover prelim for Harlan Ellison's 1980s graphic novel adaptation of his award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand. Quite detailed and polished. Harlan reportedly owns the finished cover, so it's the next best thing for me. Paid $600 for it, earlier this year, and it's something I treasure (I'm a big fan of the OL episode).

That was my favorite episode also as a kid. Little did I know when I grew up my hand would come to resemble the guy's before he acquired all the brain lobe fingers.

That was one of Harlan's best works, and he would probably like it pointed out that it was also the inspiration for the "Terminator" franchise.

That was one of Harlan's best works, and he would probably like it pointed out that it was also the inspiration for the "Terminator" franchise.

Terminator was 'inspired' (to put it diplomatically) by a combination of Ellison's two OL teleplays, the other being 'Soldier'.

Terminator was 'inspired' (to put it diplomatically) by a combination of Ellison's two OL teleplays, the other being 'Soldier'.

You're right. The Soldier featured Charles Bronson, as I recall

There was also a Saberhagen short story where a berserker robot was sent back in time to doom mankind somehow and was defeated by sherlock holmes but the robot's mind ray reduced the intelligence of the soldier sent back in time to stop him and he became Dr Watson.

You're right. The Soldier featured Charles Bronson, as I recall

:gossip: Michael Ansara.