• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is a good place to start with GA

43 posts in this topic

I have good knowledge in Silver Age Marvel (DC not so much), and was wondering what a good starting point is for GA stuff. You do not have to stick to superhero. So what are basically good GA starter books that will not break the bank, for the inexperienced.

Decide what you like (GGA, Horror, Superhero, romance, etc) and go for mid-grade copies is my preference.

I think I would lean towards the old Sci Fi and Horror stufff. When I think of old GA stuff other than early superhero, I think EC, but I know there is tons more out there. In general, I think I am looking for great art more than great stories.

Someone here (sorry, can't remember who at this point) had the neat idea to look at ebay's Sold listings filtered by 'highest price first'. I've done that at the link below, specific to the Horror/Sci-Fi category. You won't see stuff that fits your budget (nor mine, generally), but with so many directions to go, it's a nice way to get a quick snapshot of the kinds of books considered to be the cream of the crop, and see what kinds of things tickle your fancy. At a quick glance I see Frazetta's Famous Funnies covers, classic horror covers, Schomburg airbrush covers... all great stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Horror-SciFi-/70/i.html?_nkw=&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

In terms of bang for the buck, I second the suggestion of ECs... top-notch art and stories, cover to cover. Planet Comics is another fun series with some wonderful covers.

All kidding aside, a lot of good suggestions here. The Photo Journal books are a great suggestion. Although I have a ton of "men in tights" books, Horror, Crime and Good Girl art have always been my passion. EC's are simply the best books ever produced in my opinion. Other than a few of them, they are real obtainable and a blast to collect. Start where your passion lies.

Thanks for all the responses and support. I have plenty superhero stuff as it is, and looked at GA in other genres is just a way to keep things interesting. Both EC and Planetary look promising.

Edited by drotto

I think most GA collectors are "cover" collectors (and most of the stories are tame by today's standards, except for pre-code horror, sci-fi, and crime like ECs)...and if you are going to collect covers, the photojournals will show you most of them. Just make a list from those books and see what you can find and what you can afford if you do find them. There are a lot of genre's to select from...esoteric, superhero, horror, sci-fi, crime, adventure, humor, romance, esoteric romance, jungle, GGA, Disney, etc. Or, you can start by just looking at the 37 GA books in my Sig-line below. Most of those will be tough to find though... hm

Also, you could look at my GA album on flickr, it shows a good selection of my GA books...and illustrates how my interests are all over the place... :banana:

Edited by tricolorbrian

Don't overlook romance books. A lot of them are junk but the books from St John in the early 1950s with Dana Dutch stories and Matt Baker art are some of the most interesting and sophisticated stuff ever published.

I'm also partial to the late 1940s-early 1950s Carl Barks duck books, but you probably already know about them.

I think most GA collectors are "cover" collectors (and most of the stories are tame by today's standards, except for pre-code horror, sci-fi, and crime like ECs)...and if you are going to collect covers, the photojournals will show you most of them. Just make a list from those books and see what you can find and what you can afford if you do find them. There are a lot of genre's to select from...esoteric, superhero, horror, sci-fi, crime, adventure, humor, romance, esoteric romance, jungle, GGA, Disney, etc. Or, you can start by just looking at the 37 GA books in my Sig-line below. Most of those will be tough to find though... hm

Also, you could look at my GA album on flickr, it shows a good selection of my GA books...and illustrates how my interests are all over the place confused and disoriented I am... :banana:

FTFY

Also, you could look at my GA album on flickr, it shows a good selection of my GA books...and illustrates how my interests are all over the place confused and disoriented I am... :banana:

FTFY

:roflmao: So TRUE... but at least my mother's maiden name wasn't Crapenstein...

Edited by tricolorbrian

I have good knowledge in Silver Age Marvel (DC not so much), and was wondering what a good starting point is for GA stuff. You do not have to stick to superhero. So what are basically good GA starter books that will not break the bank, for the inexperienced.

Personally, I familiarized myself with the great stuff in comic books from the Golden Age by subscribing to the DCM (Digital Comics Museum) and downloading a sample of the various titles.

Of course, this goes for material which is not still copyrighted, but aside from Timely and DCs you have a great overall view before you decide to start bvuying. :)

Buy brand new Gerber Photojournals...and buy them on eBay as cheap as you can...then look at them...just look at them until something grabs your attention. Out of 22,000 pics, I'm sure something will grab you...

Definitely the route that I would start with as opposed to throwing a lot of cash on real in-your hands GA books on just a trial and error basis. (thumbs u

- EC

- The Spirit by Will Eisner

- Plastic Man by Jack Cole

All available as comicbook reprints or Archive hardcovers.

Go look for mid-grade Disney books by Barks! For the money, its great entertainment. :)

Oh yeah, and go buy the Gerber photojournals. They will break your heart when you find books you must have and then find out that everybody else must have them too! :roflmao:

Go look for mid-grade Disney books by Barks! For the money, its great entertainment. :)

Oh yeah, and go buy the Gerber photojournals. They will break your heart when you find books you must have and then find out that everybody else must have them too! :roflmao:

Problem I am quickly seeing in GA is that the supply demand equation for the best stuff really stinks. I am looking at pictures, then looking at number of copies around the internet, and looking at prices, it does not always make for a nice equation. I am also sure the same covers that look great to me are cover almost any collector would want.

Problem I am quickly seeing in GA is that the supply demand equation for the best stuff really stinks. I am looking at pictures, then looking at number of copies around the internet, and looking at prices, it does not always make for a nice equation. I am also sure the same covers that look great to me are cover almost any collector would want.

But that's the fun of it too. Like a giant scavenger hunt! Much more of a challenge than silver age... and that much more of a rush when you finally land some elusive book.