• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowest Highest Graded Copies in the Census

70 posts in this topic

high census; 2 3.5's and a 3.0 fill out the unrestored roster.

mmen7.jpg

Rather surprised at this one here.

Although the early Fox books are generally tougher to find, I thought there would be much higher graded copies of this particular book as it is part of the Mystery Men run which probably their most popular series.

Looks like this is the first Blue Beetle cover in the run! :cloud9:

This is the only copy of this book on the census. Not low grade but still more room for a higher graded copy., All of the other (few)copies i have seen have been low to low mid grade. ForbiddenLove3_zps8285b54d.jpg

That is such a wonderful book!

Most GA books in the Census have a positively skewed distribution of grades, with the highest grade often 9.0 or higher. However, there are two types of rare books that have much lower highest graded copies. The first is the book that is genuinely rare in any grade and higher grade copies probably don't exist. The Famous Gang Book of Comics was the first Firestone giveaway comic in 1942 and used a paper cover and probably had limited distribution. Accordingly, it is not surprising that the highest graded copy in the Census is a 6.5.

The other type of rarity involves a book like the Donald Duck Paint Book Large Feature Comic #20 where much nicer copies exist that simply are not in the Census.. This is generally accepted as one of the rarest Donald Duck comics and the highest graded copy is a 5.5 in the Census. It was probably a low publication book during the war, was painted and drawn on by children, and put in the paper drives. This is an interesting comic because it shows once again that not all comics are in the Census. Like many senior collectors, I do not usually submit books to the Census unless I want to sell them, and I know other long-time collectors who feel the same way. My copy of this book is attached and I think it would probably be graded at least an 8.0 and probably higher.

These are just two examples of books where the lowest highest graded copy is 5 or 6. I think such conditions are exciting because finding a high grade copy of such a comic enables you to go up several points in the Census, not just a tenth of a point, which I think is close to chance variation.

Famous%20Gang%20Book%20of%20Comics%201942%20front%20cover.jpg :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thank you for sharing. I am obsessed with finding a copy of this book! Absolutely FACINATING (to me anyway)that this is the same 'title' that changed into the 'Donald and Mickey Christmas' giveaways. What happened? Did the Warners lot (still upstarts at this time)seem not as 'alluring as the Disney staple and Disney gave Firestone a 'better' offer? More exposure(at that time)?

And the fact that even Overstreet designated it 'rare' makes it even more of a big game hunt to me. I'm hunting 'wabbit' indeed!

I have never seen that one either and there are some interesting things going on with that book, I am very surprised that Schlesinger did the cover even though it has his very distinctive version of Bugs but front and center is Sniffles who was Chuck Jones' first creation from a couple years earlier.

Most GA books in the Census have a positively skewed distribution of grades, with the highest grade often 9.0 or higher. However, there are two types of rare books that have much lower highest graded copies. The first is the book that is genuinely rare in any grade and higher grade copies probably don't exist. The Famous Gang Book of Comics was the first Firestone giveaway comic in 1942 and used a paper cover and probably had limited distribution. Accordingly, it is not surprising that the highest graded copy in the Census is a 6.5.

The other type of rarity involves a book like the Donald Duck Paint Book Large Feature Comic #20 where much nicer copies exist that simply are not in the Census.. This is generally accepted as one of the rarest Donald Duck comics and the highest graded copy is a 5.5 in the Census. It was probably a low publication book during the war, was painted and drawn on by children, and put in the paper drives. This is an interesting comic because it shows once again that not all comics are in the Census. Like many senior collectors, I do not usually submit books to the Census unless I want to sell them, and I know other long-time collectors who feel the same way. My copy of this book is attached and I think it would probably be graded at least an 8.0 and probably higher.

These are just two examples of books where the lowest highest graded copy is 5 or 6. I think such conditions are exciting because finding a high grade copy of such a comic enables you to go up several points in the Census, not just a tenth of a point, which I think is close to chance variation.

Famous%20Gang%20Book%20of%20Comics%201942%20front%20cover.jpg :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thank you for sharing. I am obsessed with finding a copy of this book! Absolutely FACINATING (to me anyway)that this is the same 'title' that changed into the 'Donald and Mickey Christmas' giveaways. What happened? Did the Warners lot (still upstarts at this time)seem not as 'alluring as the Disney staple and Disney gave Firestone a 'better' offer? More exposure(at that time)?

And the fact that even Overstreet designated it 'rare' makes it even more of a big game hunt to me. I'm hunting 'wabbit' indeed!

I have never seen that one either and there are some interesting things going on with that book, I am very surprised that Schlesinger did the cover even though it has his very distinctive version of Bugs but front and center is Sniffles who was Chuck Jones' first creation from a couple years earlier.

Can't say it enough: just an interesting piece of comic book/animation/promo history.

How about the Cap and Marvel annuals. I don't think there is much if anything graded over 6.5?

If it were "graded" this might be the lowest graded copy. But I'm stoked to even have one at all. I've always thought about getting it restored but at the end of the day, I figure it's best to just leave it as is.

captamericaannual_zpse9d47bfc.jpg

How about the Cap and Marvel annuals. I don't think there is much if anything graded over 6.5?

If it were "graded" this might be the lowest graded copy. But I'm stoked to even have one at all. I've always thought about getting it restored but at the end of the day, I figure it's best to just leave it as is.

Since the highest one of those is a 5.0 with only 4 below it that copy would be in good company, great book to own in any condition. :takeit:

I love the wear on that book! I wouldn't restore it if I owned it.

A good friend who was a poet was visiting one time and after looking at part of my collection, he asked, "What is wrong with something old looking old?" I have books of all different grades and I like them all for different reasons.

One and only copy of this on the census. Not a comic, although it's got a nice Disney cover and a couple of pages of interior Disney art.

s-l1600_zpsxk8p92sz.jpg

THAT is all kinds of cool! :applause: I like it a lot!

Thanks. It really evokes 1930s Disney for me.

I don't think I realized Disney had a radio program. Makes you wonder how well animated characters would have done on radio. hm

high census; 2 3.5's and a 3.0 fill out the unrestored roster.

mmen7.jpg

Graded copies of Mystery Men start getting real scarce from about 6 on (tough books in just about any grade). (shrug)

This is currently the highest universal grade copy of #10 (There are only eight in the census & two of those are restored!)...

23efddfb-1054-4c92-a191-84b66879f9f4_zpsba10ce00.jpg