• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Wall Streeters on the boards?

100 posts in this topic

Besides, Suicidal Tendencies opened for them, so how bad could it have been?

headbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gif The Suicides rocked, although by the 1990s they were a shell of their original thrash rock selves!

All I wanted was a Pepsi!!!

Is that a Shug Knight mugshot?

Yes.

Listening to too much of what my stepson affectionately refers to as "hate rap" combined with the rantings of Bill Hicks has done strange things to my fragile little mind. insane.gif

I think it's time to switch the CDs in my car to Barry Manilow ones.

A Pedigree do you listen to underground hip hop? If so I definitely recommend Juice, he's from Chicago, and is a genuis with flows. Also try Immortal Technique, he's political but is a master lyricist...

As you may be able to tell, cheesy heavy metal is my first love. Always has been, always will be. However, in recent years I have been finding myself drawn more and more to the lyrical poetry of rap/hip hop/whatever it's called nowadays. Unfortunately, my experience with the genre is sorely lacking -- I'm mostly stuck in the NWA/Dr. Dre/Tupac mainstream. There's too much music out there to try and learn about it all, but I'm slowly getting there. Maybe I need a hip hop mentor....

And with that, this thread is officially sign-offtopic.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That was back when they were doing the whole Operation: Mindcrime album live. It was kind of a required viewing for us card carrying members of the Metal Mafia. You must have missed that memo.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime: greatest album of all time. Discuss. gossip.gif

And, no, I'm not joking. 893whatthe.gif

headbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gif The Suicides rocked, although by the 1990s they were a shell of their original thrash rock selves!

AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

headbang.gif

That was back when they were doing the whole Operation: Mindcrime album live. It was kind of a required viewing for us card carrying members of the Metal Mafia. You must have missed that memo.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime: greatest album of all time. Discuss. gossip.gif

Mmmm ... top five, maybe top three even. But #1? Leatherwolf's S/T (1987). headbang.gif

And I'm convinced that Nikki killed Sister Mary, not Dr. X as was implied in all the videos. From The Needle Lies: "Carved my cure with the blade that left me in scars." Discuss. laugh.gif

headbang.gif

You continually amaze me, Scott.

I knew there was a reason I liked you. In that manly, viking way, of course! laugh.gif

What

no Ratt, -- Bought Out of the Cellar when I was 9 years old! 893whatthe.gif My first non-KISS heavy metal album!

no Cinderella, -- Tom Keifer always bugged me as a vocalist. I did enjoy the album "Still Climbing," though.

no Jackal, -- Always loved Jackyl (and the European band, Jackal, but I'm sure that's not who you meant here) and loved how they were one of the hair bands that staved off grunge for a bit in the early '90s.

no Mr. Big, -- Even loved 'em when they went to #1!

no Skid Row, -- Sebastian Bach is a sociopath rivaled only by Axl, but one of the best frontmen next to DLR and the best vocalist next to Jim Gillette. Gotta love the Skids!

no Twisted Sister, -- "Whaddayou wanna do with yer life?!!?!" All-time classic.

no Def Leppard, -- As commercialized as they became, if you listened to Hysteria right when it came out you heard something very cool there. But one too many airings of "Rocket" and "Animal" and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" just became grating after awhile.

no Ozzy, -- I won Tribute on vinyl the week it came out from 103.1 WVVX!

no Slaughter, -- Loved Mark ever since he was in Vinnie Vincent Invasion. I even have the two X-Cursion albums he did! 893whatthe.gif

no Whitesnake, -- Gotta love Whitesnake the band (Rudy Sarzo, Vivian Cambell, and DC), but Coverdale will always be Deep Purple Mark III to me.

no Tesla, -- meh. They never really did anything for me.

no GNR -- Like Leppard, every time I hear "Sweet Child 'o Mine" I want to vomit. But I still remember hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" on Z-Rock in August of 1987 and signing the chorus all day. It was that catchy of a tune.

I'm disappointed you didn't mention Icon, Y&T, Babylon AD, Fifth Angel, Judas Priest, or the granddaddy of 'em all, QUIET RIOT!

headbang.gifheadbang.gif

headbang.gif

What are you trying to say, I'm crazy? When I went to your schools, I went to your churches, I went to your institutional learning facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?

headbang.gif

I knew there was a reason I liked you. In that manly, viking way, of course! laugh.gif

Translated: Wow Scott, I always thought you had totally wussy tastes in music, it's cool that you actually like some real rock too! poke2.gif

no Def Leppard, -- As commercialized as they became, if you listened to Hysteria right when it came out you heard something very cool there. But one too many airings of "Rocket" and "Animal" and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" just became grating after awhile.

Def Leppard rooled on their first three albums, as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. But after Pyromania, they decided that it was better to appeal to 12 year old girls and they came out with that piece of pop pablum called Hysteria. Big thumbs down on that album and every album thereafter.

Coverdale will always be Deep Purple Mark III to me.

Coverdale will always be the death of Deep Purple to me. Just an Ian Gillian wannabe.

no GNR -- Like Leppard, every time I hear "Sweet Child 'o Mine" I want to vomit. But I still remember hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" on Z-Rock in August of 1987 and signing the chorus all day. It was that catchy of a tune.

Dude, Appetite for Destruction was the best rock album of the 1980s! The rise of GNR and Metallica signaled the death of the hair bands that you appeared to love so well. headbang.gif

headbang.gif

I have pretty wide ranging taste in rock music. Everything from James Taylor to the Moody Blues to Rush to Led Zeppelin to Iron Maiden to more current stuff like Disturbed and Mudvayne. I've seen Disturbed five times since 2000 and have been to four Mudvayne shows. cloud9.gif

Def Leppard rooled on their first three albums, as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. But after Pyromania, they decided that it was better to appeal to 12 year old girls and they came out with that piece of pop pablum called Hysteria. Big thumbs down on that album and every album thereafter.

I agree, the later albums were catchy, but more AOR than Heavy Metal, "High & Dry" was a near-perfect album, short powerful songs with ACDC-riffage

Coverdale will always be the death of Deep Purple to me. Just an Ian Gillian wannabe.

Ah Coverdale, once a hairdresser, always a hairdresser...

Dude, Appetite for Destruction was the best rock album of the 1980s! The rise of GNR and Metallica signaled the death of the hair bands that you appeared to love so well. headbang.gif

"Appetite for Destruction" was the album that got me back into metal after the Bon Jovis and the Motley Cruës of the world drove me away.

Let me end with :

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Motorhead

UFO

Y&T

Krokus

Riot (NOT Quiet Riot)

Twisted Sister (well the first album)

Raven

Scorpions (up until "Blackout")

Tygers of Pan Tang

Dio

Saxon

Samson

Holocaust

Witchfinder General

Quartz...$

headbang.gif

I agree, the later albums were catchy, but more AOR than Heavy Metal, "High & Dry" was a near-perfect album, short powerful songs with ACDC-riffage

Ah Coverdale, once a hairdresser, always a hairdresser...

"Appetite for Destruction" was the album that got me back into metal after the Bon Jovis and the Motley Cruës of the world drove me away.

Let me end with :

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Motorhead

UFO

Y&T

Krokus

Riot (NOT Quiet Riot)

Twisted Sister (well the first album)

Raven

Scorpions (up until "Blackout")

Tygers of Pan Tang

Dio

Saxon

Samson

Holocaust

Witchfinder General

Quartz...$

headbang.gif

Omigod, it's like I've found my twin! 893whatthe.gifheadbang.gif My cut-off of the Scorpions would totally have been at the same album! "Animal Magnetism" rooled okay! I have to admit I don't think much of Krokus, and don't know the last 4 bands you list. But Motorhead, Tyger of freakin' Pan Tang, Saxon, Maiden, Priest, along with all the other bands?! Yes!!! NWOBHM rools! headbang.gif Of course I would include AC/DC, but I'm assuming they're such a given you felt no need to include.

headbang.gif

I have pretty wide ranging taste in rock music. Everything from James Taylor to the Moody Blues to Rush to Led Zeppelin to Iron Maiden to more current stuff like Disturbed and Mudvayne. I've seen Disturbed five times since 2000 and have been to four Mudvayne shows. cloud9.gif

If you like current metal check out Tool and AFI if you haven't already. AFI's "Sing the Sorrow" is one of the best albums I have heard in the last 2 years. Both bands are amazing in concert as well. hail.gif

Omigod, it's like I've found my twin! 893whatthe.gifheadbang.gif My cut-off of the Scorpions would totally have been at the same album! "Animal Magnetism" rooled okay! I have to admit I don't think much of Krokus, and don't know the last 4 bands you list. But Motorhead, Tyger of freakin' Pan Tang, Saxon, Maiden, Priest, along with all the other bands?! Yes!!! NWOBHM rools! headbang.gif Of course I would include AC/DC, but I'm assuming they're such a given you felt no need to include.

grin.gif

Indeed, I didn't even bother to list the "given" bands.

Samson was the band, Iron Maiden plucked Bruce Dickinson from when they fired Paul D'ianno (who did splendidly on Killers)

Krokus were pretty good on "Metal Rendezvous"....Acdc should have recruited their singer when Bon died.

Witchfinder General and Holocaust were pretty unknown, I only have one album of each, but I did like them a lot. Short-short powerful songs.

Quartz were a band of 30+ artists that amazingly gelled with the NWoBHM crowd, think a mix between Ozzy Sabbath and early BOC.

Ah to be 13 again headbang.gif

I'm amazed and impressed by how many people from North America are still awake!

I can't imagine there are too many others. My sleeping pattern is insanely screwed up. I haven't gone to bed before 5 AM in 2 weeks and I sleep in between/after classes. I need to get myslelf straight...after all, the real world rears its ugly head for me in 2 short months. frustrated.gif

I'm amazed and impressed by how many people from North America are still awake!

I can't imagine there are too many others. My sleeping pattern is insanely screwed up. I haven't gone to bed before 5 AM in 2 weeks and I sleep in between/after classes. I need to get myslelf straight...after all, the real world rears its ugly head for me in 2 short months. frustrated.gif

I wouldn't worry about it, I used to lead total night owl hours during law school too, especially 3rd year when I hardly had any classes that involved classroom attendance. Enjoy the freedom while you can, you'll have the rest of your life to keep normal hours. frown.gif