• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Wall Streeters on the boards?

100 posts in this topic

Wow, Blazin' Bob likes Accept...Iove Accept. Haven't found many who do! As for the NWOBHM you all need to give props to Mercyful fate/King Diamond! That rips it up. One of the only artist I have yet to see in metal. Slayer is one of my all time favs but have given us nothing good for years. I've met Kerry King a few times and he is a jerk. Tom Araya is great! My best bands going are:

Maiden, Priest, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and Overkill. Out of them all only Maiden and Overkill still hold there true roots. Suicidal was good too as well as all the glam rockers I first feel in love with! (thumbs u just my 2 cents!

Wow, Blazin' Bob likes Accept...Iove Accept. Haven't found many who do! As for the NWOBHM you all need to give props to Mercyful fate/King Diamond! That rips it up. One of the only artist I have yet to see in metal. Slayer is one of my all time favs but have given us nothing good for years. I've met Kerry King a few times and he is a jerk. Tom Araya is great! My best bands going are:

Maiden, Priest, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and Overkill. Out of them all only Maiden and Overkill still hold there true roots. Suicidal was good too as well as all the glam rockers I first feel in love with! (thumbs u just my 2 cents!

Balls to the Walls tour was great!

Merciful fate is great minus King Diamond.

Wow, this thread brings back some memories. I can`t believe the excruciatingly detailed debates I had with PM on metal (or the k-rap that he considered to be metal ;) ). Boy I miss that guy! :(

:acclaim:

Damn, Tim, I've always just been a PM away. That's how Eric (Spider-Slayer) contacted me and how I got him to bump this sucker. :)

Although you will be proud of me ... after living an almost all-Metallica, all-the-time diet for the past 8 months or so, my brain has finally been warped enough to start seeking out some NWOBHM stuff. I just need a mentor to make sure I don't get screwed by a fake copy of The Soundhouse Tapes or something. I'm accepting all applications today. :cool:

Alan

Wow, this thread brings back some memories. I can`t believe the excruciatingly detailed debates I had with PM on metal (or the k-rap that he considered to be metal ;) ). Boy I miss that guy! :(

:acclaim:

Damn, Tim, I've always just been a PM away. That's how Eric (Spider-Slayer) contacted me and how I got him to bump this sucker. :)

Although you will be proud of me ... after living an almost all-Metallica, all-the-time diet for the past 8 months or so, my brain has finally been warped enough to start seeking out some NWOBHM stuff. I just need a mentor to make sure I don't get screwed by a fake copy of The Soundhouse Tapes or something. I'm accepting all applications today. :cool:

Alan

Alan! Glad to see you posting again! If I never see a person posting, I'm not going to assume that they'd answer PMs.

I have to be honest, if you're just exploring NWOBHM for the first time now, it'll probably sound pretty tame (except for Motorhead, of course). It's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things to really appreciate its impact, because when the movement first came to prominence, it sounded so much heavier, faster and more intense than anything that had preceded it. (although make sure you check out Cirith Ungol)

30 years later, it's what the kids of today would call mid-tempo power pop. :insane:

Anyone here work on Wall St?
I once walked on wall street...not sure if that counts (or me continuing a 5 year old thread, either)

I work on Wall St........as a lighting designer.

I have NYSE clearance to take care of CNBC, CNN.

The NYSE Floor bathroom for the traders is one of the dirtiest places on earth. DISGUSTING!

Alan! Glad to see you posting again! If I never see a person posting, I'm not going to assume that they'd answer PMs.

I have to be honest, if you're just exploring NWOBHM for the first time now, it'll probably sound pretty tame (except for Motorhead, of course). It's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things to really appreciate its impact, because when the movement first came to prominence, it sounded so much heavier, faster and more intense than anything that had preceded it. (although make sure you check out Cirith Ungol)

30 years later, it's what the kids of today would call mid-tempo power pop. :insane:

Hey Tim! I have my PMs set to go to my email, so anything that comes in is usually answered pretty quickly.

A little less than a year ago I listened to a "Shockwaves Skull Sessions" podcast that was all about NWOBHM. Something about the energy of the guys on this show was infectious, and it made me really start looking into the genre. What I found and heard was awesome! I think what sealed the deal was Quartz's "Satan's Serenade" -- I probably jammed that tune a dozen times in a row after I first heard it. Now with things in my personal life starting to settle down, I'm looking for something new to collect.

In actuality, I'm less interested in collecting the music, per se -- if I wanted that I'm sure I could find every single somewhere on teh Inerwubs and just call it a day. Rather, I think I'm more interested in owning the actual physical singles. Damn collector gene. So I'll be looking more for things like the first Def Leppard EP or that Bleakhouse record that Metallica stole the opening to "Welcome Home" from or the Nuthin' Fancy 7-inch (pre-Thunder?! Yay hair metal!). The mainstream stuff like Angel Witch and Motorhead, while excellent, probably won't be my main focus.

That being said, does anyone know who the comic-keys of the NWOBHM 7-inch world is? Or why the Marquis de Sade single seems to be the Action #1equivalent? (Did all that now bring this thread back on topic?)

Anyone here work on Wall St?
I once walked on wall street...not sure if that counts (or me continuing a 5 year old thread, either)

I work on Wall St........as a lighting designer.

I have NYSE clearance to take care of CNBC, CNN.

The NYSE Floor bathroom for the traders is one of the dirtiest places on earth. DISGUSTING!

Those guys are such busy bees that all bathroom etiquette just goes out the window, I bet. Everyone whipping the firehose around before the valve is closed. :sick:

Can't help you on your collecting questions, Alan. I don't know squat about record collecting.

Glad you've finally been converted and will now realize that all those American metal bands were nothing but poseurs until Metallica came on the scene.

no GNR -- Like Leppard, every time I hear "Sweet Child 'o Mine" I want to vomit. But I still remember hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" on Z-Rock in August of 1987 and signing the chorus all day. It was that catchy of a tune.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude, Appetite for Destruction was the best rock album of the 1980s!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of GNR. Were they good? Absolutely. Great? Probably. But certainly not "the best." They were just marketed really, really well, primarily because they weren't like 99.9% of the bands out there who sign their lives away to their record companies when they make their first album. GNR were savvy businessmen who knew how to cut a deal that forced Geffen to promote the heck out of Appetite.

that particular album was just chock full of good stuff. is there even more than 1 or 2 forgettable songs on there? someone may not like "sweet child", but a lot of people did and on that album it made sense. were they a great band? i guess not because they fizzled out and their next albums had a fair number of dead spots on them. but i dunno, in terms of rock albums of the 80's, what really competes with that? "And Justice For All" didn't sell as many records and didn't produce as many classic songs (heck, i like Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All More...although a lot of those songs are covers). U2's hits were more spread out over their albums in the 80's, although I guess someone may say Joshua Tree should be there.. I guess you can say "Born in the USA" although everything Springstein sounds the same to me....Synchronicity was huge when it came out but did anyone care by, let's say, 1989? Nobody wants to admit it, but Purple Rain has to be considered a rock album too....

I think GNR gets downgraded by the list writers because of their widespread appeal and the thinking that a lot of their fans lived in trailers, so that somehow makes the songs on that album less killer. It's a bit of snobbiness if you ask me. Somehow Metallica didn't get tarnished that way, possibly because they behaved a bit more intellectually and aren't known for trashing hotels, doing drugs and what not. Of course, their fans hate them because of their stance on downloading piracy.

no GNR -- Like Leppard, every time I hear "Sweet Child 'o Mine" I want to vomit. But I still remember hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" on Z-Rock in August of 1987 and signing the chorus all day. It was that catchy of a tune.

Dude, Appetite for Destruction was the best rock album of the 1980s!

I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of GNR. Were they good? Absolutely. Great? Probably. But certainly not "the best." They were just marketed really, really well, primarily because they weren't like 99.9% of the bands out there who sign their lives away to their record companies when they make their first album. GNR were savvy businessmen who knew how to cut a deal that forced Geffen to promote the heck out of Appetite.

that particular album was just chock full of good stuff. is there even more than 1 or 2 forgettable songs on there? someone may not like "sweet child", but a lot of people did and on that album it made sense. were they a great band? i guess not because they fizzled out and their next albums had a fair number of dead spots on them. but i dunno, in terms of rock albums of the 80's, what really competes with that? "And Justice For All" didn't sell as many records and didn't produce as many classic songs (heck, i like Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All More...although a lot of those songs are covers). U2's hits were more spread out over their albums in the 80's, although I guess someone may say Joshua Tree should be there.. I guess you can say "Born in the USA" although everything Springstein sounds the same to me....Synchronicity was huge when it came out but did anyone care by, let's say, 1989? Nobody wants to admit it, but Purple Rain has to be considered a rock album too....

I think GNR gets downgraded by the list writers because of their widespread appeal and the thinking that a lot of their fans lived in trailers, so that somehow makes the songs on that album less killer. It's a bit of snobbiness if you ask me. Somehow Metallica didn't get tarnished that way, possibly because they behaved a bit more intellectually and aren't known for trashing hotels, doing drugs and what not. Of course, their fans hate them because of their stance on downloading piracy.

Yeah, I've really tempered my opinion of GNR in the years since I wrote some of the stuff above. One of my buddies is a GNR fanatic (well, actually more of an Appetite fanatic) and he forced me to sit down and listen to that first album in its entirety. I knew every song, despite never having owned or listened to the record itself. That was a big surprise, and made me really appreciate just how classic an album Appetite for Destruction is. That lineup truly caught lightning in a bottle, and it is a shame that they never could recapture that magic in any of their later recordings.

Your comments about Metallica had me chuckling, especially the "a lot of those songs are covers" one. Gallop-gallop-gallop-gallop wahhhhhh! I think the respect afforded them had more to do with the organic nature of the growth of their popularity instead of the heavy-duty marketing that was done with almost every other band of the day. Jaymz and the Boyz just went out and played damn good music night after night (even blowing Ozzy away on almost every show during his 1986 tour), and the fans responded.

Best rock album of the 80s? I dunno ... but the best metal album is Master of Puppets, with Appetite and Hysteria coming in not far behind. The latter two not only because of the number of units moved but also because the tunes are classics, but MoP is just four great musicians firing on all 12 cylinders. Find me one metal fan who doesn't like at least 75% of that record, and I'll bet they're really just a closet Milli Vanilli fan! :insane:

There are some Blitkrieg covers in some of those pre-Justice albums. Which ones I can't remember. I like the songs in any event and I don't know what the originals sounded like. I used to listen to those albums a lot when I was into lifting weights and what not, just not so much anymore. My wife can't stand the stuff, which doesn't help. I have never got too into the specifics of music, like which songs are on which records, the names of songs, etc.. I own pretty much every Ozzy Black Sabbath album (and his solo albums, until he got to cheesey for me) and have listened to them a zillion times, but for the life of me can't tell you which songs are on which albums. And now with a kid my wife has an excuse to not let me play a lot of this stuff as the little guy starts banging his head in the back seat bopping around.

There are some Blitkrieg covers in some of those pre-Justice albums. Which ones I can't remember. I like the songs in any event and I don't know what the originals sounded like. I used to listen to those albums a lot when I was into lifting weights and what not, just not so much anymore. My wife can't stand the stuff, which doesn't help. I have never got too into the specifics of music, like which songs are on which records, the names of songs, etc.. I own pretty much every Ozzy Black Sabbath album (and his solo albums, until he got to cheesey for me) and have listened to them a zillion times, but for the life of me can't tell you which songs are on which albums. And now with a kid my wife has an excuse to not let me play a lot of this stuff as the little guy starts banging his head in the back seat bopping around.

lol I thought you were making a joke about the songs on Kill 'Em All sounding too much like the NWOBHM bands that inspired them. My bad! Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil were put on the re-release of the album in 1988 but didn't appear on it originally. They were the "Garage Days Revisited" tunes (in case anyone wondered why the $5.98 EP was called "Garages Days Re-Revisited") that I believe only appeared on a Creeping Death single.

I'm the same way as you with not knowing what tunes are called or what albums they're on. I blame the need to multi-task and do most of my listening in the car where it's not too safe to drive while trying to read lyric sheets.

Dude! I can totally picture your little guy banging his head to some metal! Rawk on!