• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I just auctioned off 43 books on CLink

71 posts in this topic

So I thought as an experiment, I would not delete my ownership of these books from my registry, but wait and see how many requests to transfer I would get. After about 2 months now, I've only had one request to transfer out of 43 books sold. These were not low grade drek, but very high grade Silver Age books: most were 9.4 and 9.6's and even one 9.8. Books I'd think collectors would like to get on their registry. Could it be that it's just mostly dealers grabbing up most of these sales and not collectors, if so what does that say about the hobby. I'd like to think there would be a better balance, but so far this result has really surprised me. Any thoughts???

I would say most buyers are simply not on this board and I would wager most don't know anything about or carry anything about registry sets.

This

This and many of the folks here could give a rats behind.

how do these transactions impact the census? If someone CPRs a CGC book, does it inflate the overall numbers of books that are encapsulated in general?

I ask because I often hear people talk about how many of which book are in the CGC census at each grade etc. I realize the registry part is more for personal collection use but it made me wonder how inflated the census may be from people cracking open books, press/clean and resubmitting. Is there a process to tell CGC that a book is no longer encapsulated in the original CGC holder?

In today's world of CPR'ing, I believe that the census is VERY inflated when it comes to certain books.

AF15 immediately comes to mind along with other keys. With those you would have a census that is off by a wide margin.

So I thought as an experiment, I would not delete my ownership of these books from my registry, but wait and see how many requests to transfer I would get. After about 2 months now, I've only had one request to transfer out of 43 books sold. These were not low grade drek, but very high grade Silver Age books: most were 9.4 and 9.6's and even one 9.8. Books I'd think collectors would like to get on their registry. Could it be that it's just mostly dealers grabbing up most of these sales and not collectors, if so what does that say about the hobby. I'd like to think there would be a better balance, but so far this result has really surprised me. Any thoughts???

I would say most buyers are simply not on this board and I would wager most don't know anything about or carry anything about registry sets.

This

This and many of the folks here could give a rats behind.

+1

That's me, I really don't give a rats behind about it. I own many graded books. I love collecting them, but I don't need the registry. If others do and they enjoy it that is great.

I have seen a few of the books show up on some dealer sites. I also realize that most of the people active on this board or maintaining books in their registry probably represent only a small percentage of the total people collecting. What I have found even more interesting and surprising is it seems a lot you posting comments here seem to have no use for the registry.

I think my myslabbedcomics.com account is more up to date than my registry sets. Some day when the kids are off to college and I have nothing to do with myself I'll look at updating my registry sets.

You haven't uploaded anything recently. :taptaptap:

In fact, the opposite has been true in the vast majority of cases.. People don't know about CGC books until they discovered this forum.

This is just utterly ridiculous. lol Also, the Sun does not revolve around the Earth.

I came here to look into getting some book graded. Then, I spotted the chat forum tab.

In fact, the opposite has been true in the vast majority of cases.. People don't know about CGC books until they discovered this forum.

This is just utterly ridiculous. lol Also, the Sun does not revolve around the Earth.

I came here to look into getting some book graded. Then, I spotted the chat forum tab.

Fascinating. Congratuations, I guess!!!1!1!!1 :banana:

I think now that the novelty of the registry has worn off, even boardies don't care as much anymore.

For instance, I was surprised how little chatter or discussion there was here leading up to and following the announcement of this year's Registry awards relative to year's past.

I'm hoping to win a "Best Silver Age" set award one day but think the excitement surrounding such things, even among active boardies, has long since past its apex.

CGC should offer a prize of one free submission to each set registry winner. If they want people of register there books, that would probably be a good motivator.

I used to put my books in, but got bored of it as it seemed pointless after a while.

I've been on the boards since the beginning. I may have looked at the registry one time in all these years.

I couldn't care less about it. The only time I ever even think about it is if someone mentions it in a post.

The registry has some use to some in terms of ranking where they stand among others using the registry for their graded books. Some find that fun - and I see it as another way people enjoy collecting in general.

For me, collecting the books is not about getting them graded. I have only one book that is encapsulated and that was a gift. I did register it simply out of curiosity of how the process works. And it was fun to look around at other peoples registry sets. I have noticed some folks have a lot of fun completing/upgrading particular sets of interest. Since receiving the one slabbed book, I have also tried to find a reader copy of the same one so I could enjoy the book without cracking it open. Something about a slabbed book to me is kind of neat in and of itself. Having one was a minor goal and obtaining it has ended my need to get more.

I see the entire grading process as a method to verify the nature of a book and make it much more reliable when buying/selling. At first, I did not understand why someone would pay the fees to get something slabbed only to have others crack it open. But it makes sense now because the point of the hobby is ultimately to enjoy the books (and some who crack one open had to buy it slabbed because it was the only copy they could find at all). Some may prefer their books in slabbed form. I prefer mine raw and easily read. To each their own. Plenty of ways to enjoy the hobby and none of them are the definitive best method, as long as you have fun with it.

Why do you need an award to enjoy your collection?

Registry sets are really a tool of the auction houses to be able to figure out what you have, work up numbers and tell you how much they can sell your collection for.

Registry sets also play into the "collector ego" that I have the "best".

Look at me!!!!!!

This

Wouldn't have even crossed my mind if I had been the buyer.

Oh yeah -- it's purely an ego play.

I already know what I have and (via the census) what else is out there.

But I set out a few years ago to see if it'd be possible to put together a "top Silver Age run" from scratch as a latecomer and on a beer budget. Now that I've accomplished that, the next level would be seeing it acknowledged relative to all of the top Silver Age runs out there.

That's a few years off, as my run's not yet complete & needs upgrades, but the fun in collecting (& feeling of achievement) comes from the hunt and self-subbing involved, whereas with some other runs it would just be a matter of bankroll.

Example, if anyone actually completed slabbed high- (or even mid-grade) runs of DC's Secret Hearts (for Silver Age) or Tip Top or Mutt & Jeff (for Golden Age), it'd be a crazy achievement worth of a Registry Award.

It's what made looking at some of Cheetah's old set's so amazing. Compiling full mid-high-grade runs of HTF books (like Planet or Exciting) in grade is a far different beast than just building the top CGC FF, ASM or even Batman runs.