• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What silver age comic book series are you collecting?

48 posts in this topic

I'm currently working on mini runs of early Marvel titles....@the first ten issues of each.

ASM 1-10, Avengers 1-10, FF 1-13, Hulk 1-6, JIM 83-97, Str Tales 101-115, TOS 39-53, TTA 27, 35-44.

Trying to collect graded books or raw books for submission. 4.0-6.5 is my sweet spot. Not too many keys nailed down yet, but I did knock out ASM 1, AV 1,4, ST 101, 110, and TTA 35 in 2015, so I'm pleased overall. Right now the whole project is @75% complete.

came back to the hobby after 35 years and started right where I left off

Thor 126-341

working on

JIM 100-125 (83-99 maybe later-- 8 to go)

Daredevil 1-74, 120-200

Those are the main ones I look for-- finished some smaller bronze runs as well but I am no hurry to get the books. More fun finding bargains and admiring others high grade stuff anyway. I did have fun putting together several Kirby DC 4th world runs. Seems like I enjoy Kirby along with a handful of other older Marvel artists.

I've got most Strange Tales from 101 up. There's a few left but as most of those go for crazy prices, I probably won't ever complete that run totally.

After that I'll turn my attention to my Kirby JIM / Thor run which needs the early issues to be completed. Then it'll be on to the Kirby FF's.

I've always got my eyes open for Ditko Spider Mans or Kirby cover early Avengers. Don't have many of them though.

After spending 40 years collecting and then recently selling runs of the Marvel superhero titles, now I'm down to collecting the Gold Key Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom run. It's proving very challenging to complete in high grade.

I just completed my Silver Surfer #1-#18 run, very excited to put that to bed. Concurrently to that run, I've been purchasing a lot of Daredevil books and am actually trying to find a reasonable end point for that run. I'm thinking #1-#233 (end of Born Again) seems logical for me.

If we're talking fantasy land collecting, then my dream would be to have a run of Superman in #1-whatever. But, seeing as I'll likely never purchase Supes #1 it's not easy getting excited to collect those books even though he is my favorite character.

At the moment Showcase Silver age (until complete) and Xmen Silver age until complete.

I am almost finished with my GL silver age run... Just need like 6 more issues but I need them in VF+ or over...

I finished all my Spideys and FFs...

Maybe late next year I'll start collecting brave and the bold. I only have the JLA books for B&B.

I'm an absolute sucker for DC silver age and I love the JLA so I've been trying to collect the first appearances of the characters that make up the team.... within reason haha

so far I have added:

- Flash 105 - showcase 4 is too nuts haha, also want to upgrade my copy a bit

- Showcase 22 - in the mail!

- Brave and the bold 28 - in the mail!

- Detective Comics 225

I'll probably go after Aquaman #1 or Showccase 30 as well as Wonder Woman 98 to fill the voids of their first appearances.

My next goals are to go after the Spidery, Flash, Superman and Batman Rogue Galleries.

I had actually amassed quite a bit in spidey, batman, and superman but sold them to fund other purchases as I figured I'd have an easier time reacquiring them. I had ASM 4, 6, 9, 15, 46, 101, 300, 361, Action comics 242, 252, Jimmy 134, Forever People 1, Adventure Comics 283. Also had batman 121, 232, 234, 251. Also had Green Lantern 7. In due time I will obtain them again!

I collect mainly Silver and Bronze Marvel, but I'll stray into DC to pick up some Brave and the Bold sometimes.

I've got complete runs of Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish, and Tales of Suspense (minus the 39), along with easier titles like Sub-Mariner, Nick Fury, Silver Surfer, and Doctor Strange.

Right now I'm focusing on finishing my Fantastic Four run from 1-145. I'm missing, 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6.

Dabbling in Daredevil 1-115, and Iron Man 1-70. I've got most of the major Spidey keys, especially after 14, but the earlier issues are almost prohibitively expensive. It's tough collecting on a budget!

ASM #1-441

TOS #1-99

TTA #1-34 (not expecting to get a #13 or #27 any time soon)

JIM #1-82

Dabbling in:

Avengers #1-20

Daredevil #1-16

TTA #35-101

Hulk #1-6

Early X-Men

Early Flash (got #105 and #110 this past year)

After spending 40 years collecting and then recently selling runs of the Marvel superhero titles, now I'm down to collecting the Gold Key Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom run. It's proving very challenging to complete in high grade.

Amen.

I'm trying to finish the Gold Key Magnus run in CGC 9.4 or higher. Currently 4 issues (and probably two more years) away.

Started Doctor Solar as well, but for those I'm content with 9.0-9.2.

I completed mini-runs on the following:

Hulk 1-6

Fantastic Four 1-13, 44-53

Daredevil 1-8

AF 15 & ASM 1-10, 13-15

I would eventually like to finish my ASM run by purchasing #11 & 12, but I've put those books on the backburner...

What's the reason for the gaps in FF & ASM?

Finished all of my runs of Silver Age Super-Hero books except for the #1's which I am not really interested in owning.

ASM 2 - 441 (All Annuals)

Avengers 2 - 130 (Annuals 1-3)

Daredevil 1 - 200 (Annual 1)

F.F. 2 - 416 (All Annuals)

Incredible Hulk 2 -6, 102 - 200 (Annuals 1 - 3)

JIM 83(GRR) - 125 (Annual 1)

Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) 1 - 18

Strange Tales 101 - 134 (Annual 2)

Tales Of Suspense 40 - 99

Tales To Astonish 35 - 101

Thor 126 - 265

X-Men 2 - 66

I completed mini-runs on the following:

Hulk 1-6

Fantastic Four 1-13, 44-53

Daredevil 1-8

AF 15 & ASM 1-10, 13-15

I would eventually like to finish my ASM run by purchasing #11 & 12, but I've put those books on the backburner...

What's the reason for the gaps in FF & ASM?

I plan on filing in the ASM gap eventually, but have been focusing on buying other books in the mean time.

The FF gap won't be filled because that's 30 extra books.