• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to Tim Burton?

45 posts in this topic

I grew up on movies like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Batman/Batman Returns, etc. Most of his movies have been original, and enlightening, but with like Dark Shadows, and Alice in "Underland", he's taken a turn down garbage lane. Now there is talk of a Beetlejuice sequel, and of course the Dark Shadows writer is involved. :facepalm:

Mr Burton, If you're reading this, please stop the madness or find better writers, whichever comes first.

Forget being let go of the Batman franchise, it was when he followed up Ed Wood with Mars Attacks is what started to make me wonder. Then following Sleepy Hollow with a rather ho-hum Planet of the Apes reboot, pretty much made me mourn him as most distinct Burton touches were absent. Granted, Apes and Wonderland were big moneymakers, but they were less unique and could have been directed by McG.

Forget being let go of the Batman franchise, it was when he followed up Ed Wood with Mars Attacks is what started to make me wonder. Then following Sleepy Hollow with a rather ho-hum Planet of the Apes reboot, pretty much made me mourn him as most distinct Burton touches were absent. Granted, Apes and Wonderland were big moneymakers, but they were less unique and could have been directed by McG.

It's interesting to see when people lost interest in his movies. I absolutely loved Sleepy Hollow. I thought It was very Burton-ish. Apparently, Fox was pretty rough on Burton during the making Planet of the Apes. From what I understand, he was basically their puppet, and was pretty unhappy during the whole process. Maybe that has something to do with the way that movie turned out.

Whenever something went haywire in BurtonLand, he always reminded us why we enjoy his movies with ones like The Nightmare Before Christmas or Sleepy Hollow. He hasn't had any aces up his sleeve for some time now. :(

The last Burton movie I really enjoyed was Sweeney Todd, but that was almost a decade ago. I think I remember Danny Elfman saying that was his favorite Burton film. Ironically, it's the one that Elfman didn't do the music for.

Frankenweenie was good, but his black and white short was much better.

I really wish he would come up with another original idea.

Big Fish was probably the last movie I liked of his. Probably because it's arguably one of the least Tim Burtony films he's done.

Great movie for sure. Definitely unlike his other films...in a way.

Burton is currently finishing up Alice in Wonderland 2.

I was afraid someone was going to bring that up.

Should I watch the first one?

:shy:

Only If you care about the original story, and want to watch it get slaughtered.

Just finished the 25th anniversary edition of Edward Scissorhands. WOW, I don't remember this movie being so good when I first watched it on VHS in '91. I liked it enough, the way you liked other movies from that era (for instance Winona's Mermaids), but I must have overlooked it's timeless sweet Modern fairy tale at the time. It was like when I rediscovered The Princess Bride 10 years ago.

Just finished the 25th anniversary edition of Edward Scissorhands. WOW, I don't remember this movie being so good when I first watched it on VHS in '91. I liked it enough, the way you liked other movies from that era (for instance Winona's Mermaids), but I must have overlooked it's timeless sweet Modern fairy tale at the time. It was like when I rediscovered The Princess Bride 10 years ago.

:applause:

I saw Edward Scissorhands in theaters as a kid with my mom. I remember liking it, but when I watched it as an adult, it was like a completely different movie. I don't think I quite got the message behind it as a kid. Easily one of my all time favs.

Now, compare that movie to Alice in "Underland", and you'll see some SERIOUS differences. I'm worried that Tim Burton has completely forgotten how to tell an amazing story.

I saw Edward Scissorhands in theaters as a kid with my mom. I remember liking it, but when I watched it as an adult, it was like a completely different movie. I don't think I quite got the message behind it as a kid. Easily one of my all time favs.

Now, compare that movie to Alice in "Underland", and you'll see some SERIOUS differences. I'm worried that Tim Burton has completely forgotten how to tell an amazing story.

How much of that is due to studio interference though?

Whenever something went haywire in BurtonLand, he always reminded us why we enjoy his movies with ones like The Nightmare Before Christmas or Sleepy Hollow. He hasn't had any aces up his sleeve for some time now. :(

The last Burton movie I really enjoyed was Sweeney Todd, but that was almost a decade ago. I think I remember Danny Elfman saying that was his favorite Burton film. Ironically, it's the one that Elfman didn't do the music for.

Frankenweenie was good, but his black and white short was much better.

I really wish he would come up with another original idea.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a special edition Sweeney Todd. I saw some at a few yard sales, but couldn't bring myself to spend even a buck for one.

I remember seeing it in Westwood one afternoon with a friend, probably Friday, opening day in 1990. A few people behind us was a guy alone and my friend goes "I think that's Axl Rose." I turn and say, "No...." Then a girl walks by him and starts almost freaking out talking to him and asks if he minds if she she's the movie also. My friend was right. So I guess I can say I saw Edward Sissorhand with Axl Rose, well kind of. I knew he lived on the Golden Mile where we were seeing the movie, but I didn't think he would be standing in line alone to see it.

He's still recovering / whining about having his Superman movie with Nicholas Cage cancelled. Saw a documentary about it last week on one of the cable movie channels, oh man would that film have been horrible!