• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Wagner - Why isn't he more popular with OA collectors?

38 posts in this topic

For my favorite Wagner art, MAGE and GRENDEL, values have been quite high for some time, and keeps going higher. No predictions about the future, just stating what's been going on.

Agree. I'm a huge fan of Grendel, his original run including Devil by the Deed, as well as the first Mage series. Brilliant and way ahead if his time. I have a bunch if that art but always looking for more.

I love Mage (still waiting for : Hero Denied :taptaptap: ) but haven't even touched Grendel yet. Definitely worth getting hold of?

*sigh* I seem to recall someone saying that threads like these are self fulfilling prophecies. I've been putting it off but finally asked for a Mage II page... The first Mage series has been the best so far but the prices and competition are a bit much for my usual level of collecting. There is a handful of collectors who have more than a fair chunk of the pages all to themselves :P Late to the party again, but still :cloud9:

I think it's also in part, he's done a few one shots and mini-series type work, but not as a recurring artist on the main title (Batman or Detective) teamed with a writer and story arc that resonates with fans, so he becomes a good artist, but one of many who've rendered the dark detective, thus maybe less remarkable in terms of the demand for the supply of art available.

He's also not a relevant artist today in terms of pushing out material to keep him top of mind, nor has a body of work that is hugely popular beyond the fans of his creations, Grendel and Mage that makes him a legend like famed Batman artists Neal Adams, Gene Colan or Marshall Rogers.

If you're a fan, consider yourself lucky... you should be acquiring his artwork now. You never know if his career gets a resurgence or nostalgia for his art kicks in, depleting the currently available supply and driving prices up... the good if not great aspect of you being a fan is, if you acquire any of the art, no matter what others say, no matter whether others want it nor not, no matter if it goes up or down in value, you'll still treasure and enjoy the artwork regardless of others perception and a future price tag.

This is great collecting wisdom here that applies to many other artists besides Matt Wagner. For example, I was sifting through some comics from the mid-80s to early 90s looking for a particular artist and I noticed that Chris Warner, Randy Emberlin, and Chris Wozniak were doing work in a lot of books. And yet, their artwork isn't highly sought after with the exception of a few choice pieces and I'm sure you can buy their stuff for great prices...but please correct me if I'm wrong. But I guess that's bad for the seller, but good for the buyer; If I saw a nice page or cover by any of the aforementioned I'd snatch it up, although I wouldn't expect a return on my "investment."

...and I noticed that Chris Warner, Randy Emberlin, and Chris Wozniak were doing work in a lot of books. And yet, their artwork isn't highly sought after with the exception of a few choice pieces and I'm sure you can buy their stuff for great prices...but please correct me if I'm wrong. But I guess that's bad for the seller, but good for the buyer; If I saw a nice page or cover by any of the aforementioned I'd snatch it up, although I wouldn't expect a return on my "investment."

You can definitely find good deals this way, value relative to price on middle and lower end pieces. The downside is you'll not often see truly spectacular A+ items as those won't come out to play until price moves up or catches up. If you really believe in a particular artist/market and can afford to...this is where you hold your nose and offer 2-5x market to get the best of the best, knowing it will likely be a bargain in years to come (but not right now!)

I overpaid, by a lot, for a Wagner piece some 10 years ago, that I really wanted. The market may have caught up to what I paid, but probably not. It will eventually, and as the previous poster said, the price I paid may even look cheap one day. But that is secondary to me. I adore the piece, and I can'tell see myself selling it, maybe ever. I think Wagner's art is not fully appreciated by the market at this time. I am sure he will get his due one day.

Good example otherworldsj33. As long as you didn't get yourself in financial trouble when you bought, you HAVE the art, and nobody else does. For ten years now. That's a lot of good times looking at it, I'm sure. What price that??

When I wrote my previous comment I was thinking of the Wagner Batman in the last CLink. $1500 is rather rich for off-brand Wagner (not Grendel, not Mage) but...a really nice piece. I did not win it and do not know what it would have taken to over $1000 where my bidding ended, but...it's gone now. Maybe not forever but maybe so? True fans will know how many other similar Batman pieces are floating around, possible second chances at comps? I don't. For me it was a thrill bid w/o research because I thought it was super nice and $1000 is whatevs these days ;)

Good example otherworldsj33. As long as you didn't get yourself in financial trouble when you bought, you HAVE the art, and nobody else does. For ten years now. That's a lot of good times looking at it, I'm sure. What price that??

When I wrote my previous comment I was thinking of the Wagner Batman in the last CLink. $1500 is rather rich for off-brand Wagner (not Grendel, not Mage) but...a really nice piece. I did not win it and do not know what it would have taken to over $1000 where my bidding ended, but...it's gone now. Maybe not forever but maybe so? True fans will know how many other similar Batman pieces are floating around, possible second chances at comps? I don't. For me it was a thrill bid w/o research because I thought it was super nice and $1000 is whatevs these days ;)

Not in the same class as the one you bid on in the Comic Link auction but I like this page

Not in the same class as the one you bid on in the Comic Link auction but I like this page for the flow of the story and how the Shadow's shadow bends around the stair case. Also, it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Matt%20Wagner%20Grendel%20vs%20The%20Shadow%203%20pg%2016_zpsgzjyakmu.jpg

Love that top panel... has it all really.

Matt%20Wagner%20Grendel%20vs%20The%20Shadow%203%20pg%2016_zpsgzjyakmu.jpg

Love that top panel... has it all really.

I'm okay but that but actually crazy for BOOM! panel. Wagner channeling Chaykin right there. Big time. Or is it the other way around? Hmm....My Wagner-gnosis is too weak to know which is chicken and which is egg.

Thanks for the kind words on the Shadow page! Here is another page in which Commissioner Gordon and Batman seem to be having a falling out. A simple effective page that gets the idea of what is going on without overwhelming the reader.

Matt%20Wagner%20Batman%20mad%20mad%205%20pg%208_zpsgofbx3ez.jpg

This is great collecting wisdom here that applies to many other artists besides Matt Wagner. For example, I was sifting through some comics from the mid-80s to early 90s looking for a particular artist and I noticed that Chris Warner, Randy Emberlin, and Chris Wozniak were doing work in a lot of books. And yet, their artwork isn't highly sought after with the exception of a few choice pieces and I'm sure you can buy their stuff for great prices...but please correct me if I'm wrong. But I guess that's bad for the seller, but good for the buyer; If I saw a nice page or cover by any of the aforementioned I'd snatch it up, although I wouldn't expect a return on my "investment."

I put Bart Sears in there too. He has done some great work but doesn't seem to be a collector favorite. No idea why he doesn't get any love except for his X-O Manowar stuff.

Matt Wagner is a great storyteller, his sequential art are his strengths more so than covers and pin-ups.

Agreed. I was not very familiar with his artwork but looked into him after reading this thread and find his story telling and sequential layouts very well done.

(Might as well get it out of the way and state that I like Matt’s art. Why else would I start the thread.)

The work that Matt does is distinctive and in a style all his own. Not as distinctive as let say Sam Kieth or Bill Sienkiewicz but it is distinctive. At the same time, you can say that he tips his hat to the artist that produced works before him . He works on major characters and he has a good reputation in the comic industry.

What is your view on his work and why his pages are so affordable? Is there too much of it out there or is there some other reason he doesn't generate the hysteria of other artist? His Batman pages are cheap compare to other guys just as well known by collectors.

Went through my comic collection and found a dozen or so Wagner Mage and Grendel books, and a few collected hardcovers. Finally took the time to read them and I can honestly say that his work evokes the same sort of feeling I got when I went to my LCS in the 80s and picked up American Flagg, and Mike Grell's Sable.

They are all wonderful storytelling examples featuring creator-owned characters written and illustrated under the unique, stylized vision of one man.

Personally, I think pages from each of the aforementioned creators would be cool to own, but they are not something I seek out actively and I don't feel the urge to pay more than $200