• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Price Variants

114 posts in this topic

Consider the cost of buying a pence book

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

It works out to you paying more for a pence book delivered to north America so In my twisted mind they ARE worth more :)

There is nothing more satisfying than collection something no one in the world dose but you

So start a Pence collection today it is FUN

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=98931

Based on all that, it sounds expensive and not fun at all. (shrug)

The "Fun" lies in hunting down high grade pence copies. Between the shipping issues and Thorpe and Porter stamps they are far harder to find than high grade cents copies.

I collect pence copies as a sub set of my X-Men collection and personally consider them equally desirable. I understand that they are not for everyone and I'm happy for it to stay like that - less competition for me.

Unfortunately, as Garry pointed out earlier in the thread, in the last 5 years I've seen more and more interest in them as the variant craze has gotten crazier.

Pence copies are not "variants". They are American comic books printed for distribution in a foreign market. And sometimes they are reprints. Pence copies just happen to also be printed in English, they are however foreign nonetheless.

-J.

How can they be reprints when, as I understand, they were printed before the cent copies?

Can we please stop referring to them as "price variants"? They are not that.

-J.

Who pissed in your corn flakes ? :whistle:

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Price Variants

Consider the cost of buying a pence book

Currency exchange

Shipping

Criminals on Ebids

It works out to you paying more for a pence book delivered to north America so In my twisted mind they ARE worth more :)

There is nothing more satisfying than collection something no one in the world dose but you

So start a Pence collection today it is FUN

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=98931

Based on all that, it sounds expensive and not fun at all. (shrug)

The "Fun" lies in hunting down high grade pence copies. Between the shipping issues and Thorpe and Porter stamps they are far harder to find than high grade cents copies.

I collect pence copies as a sub set of my X-Men collection and personally consider them equally desirable. I understand that they are not for everyone and I'm happy for it to stay like that - less competition for me.

Unfortunately, as Garry pointed out earlier in the thread, in the last 5 years I've seen more and more interest in them as the variant craze has gotten crazier.

Pence copies are not "variants". They are American comic books printed for distribution in a foreign market. And sometimes they are reprints. Pence copies just happen to also be printed in English, they are however foreign nonetheless.

-J.

How can they be reprints when, as I understand, they were printed before the cent copies?

I understand now....

So a Harley Davidson, built in USA, but sold in the UK in £ is not American but foreign because it is not sold in $.

To me, it's still American (shrug)

If we are talking about early 1960's SA Marvels, they are absolutely not reprints or foreign. They were printed on the US printing presses on US soil with only a price slug change for a different market. And they were also likely printed before local US copies for distribution purposes. Everything else is identical.

They are entirely different than, say, Canadian copies where the content was changed, or the ads were changed or other countries where the language was changed. Those were printed on different presses with different contents and are absolutely reprints.

I understand now....

So a Harley Davidson, built in USA, but sold in the UK in £ is not American but foreign because it is not sold in $.

To me, it's still American (shrug)

It's a foreign reprint. It's only American if you bought it in the US and shipped it over the Atlantic. :devil:

If we are talking about early 1960's SA Marvels, they are absolutely not reprints or foreign. They were printed on the US printing presses on US soil with only a price slug change for a different market. And they were also likely printed before local US copies for distribution purposes. Everything else is identical.

They are entirely different than, say, Canadian copies where the content was changed, or the ads were changed or other countries where the language was changed. Those were printed on different presses with different contents and are absolutely reprints.

That they were printed "before" the cents versions is highly debatable and mildly irrelevant.

Further, the price on the front cover is not the only difference.

They also are printed with no cover date/month.

They also have different indicia on the inside front cover.

They are foreign versions of American books. That is what they are. Let's not attempt to make them into something they are not.

They are simply in English because they were printed for distribution in a foreign market that also happens to speak English.

If they were in Spanish or in some other language like other foreign books, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. lol

-J.

Spanish etc were not printed in the U.S. These truly are pence price variants. These are U.S. comics with a price change for a different market. The month was left off for shipping purposes and the indica for distribution. Most people that research these agree that they are most likely printed first. These are really no different than Diamond, 30 cent or 35 cent variants except those markets were the country as the regular printing.

Only the very earliest issues do.

The vast majority do not.

The earliest ones are the ones people mostly want, no? The Hulk 1's, early FF's, AF 15's, etc?

Later on they became actual reprints.

-J.

The earliest ones are the ones people mostly want, no? The Hulk 1's, early FF's, AF 15's, etc?

-J.

Seriously where do you get your information? lol

-J.

Apparently not.

Amazing Adventures 9 FN $11.16

Amazing Spider-Man 29 VG $50.57

Amazing Spider-Man 33 G+ $24.45

Amazing Spider-Man 38 VG/FN $49.06

Amazing Spider-Man 38 G $19.77

Amazing Spider-Man 39 PR $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 41 G+ $42.26

Amazing Spider-Man 46 VG- $26.11

Amazing Spider-Man 78 FN- $23.09

Amazing Spider-Man 86 VG/FN $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 90 VG+ $20.97

Amazing Spider-Man 101 FN/VF $83.79

Avengers 26 FR $7.38

Avengers 27 G/VG $14.03

Avengers 28 G/VG $29.13

Avengers 64 VG $11.16

Avengers 68 G+ $8.74

Avengers 70 VG $11.16

Avengers 71 FN $22.33

Avengers 75 VG/FN $11.61

Avengers 77 VG+ $10.55

Avengers 79 VG/FN $11.61

Avengers 80 VG/FN $14.03

Avengers 81 FN $14.03

Avengers 82 FN- $12.82

Avengers 84 FN- $12.82

Avengers 87 FN $29.13

Avengers 94 FN $23.24

Avengers 185 VFN $7.53

Batman 309 FN $5.57

Batman 312 FN- $5.12

Batman 318 FN $5.57

Batman 321 VFN $11.61

Daredevil 27 G $8.14

Daredevil 55 VG- $6.63

Daredevil 67 FN $11.16

Daredevil 77 FN+ $14.93

Fantastic Four 16 VG $128.33

Fantastic Four 67 VG $35.47

Fantastic Four 100 VG- $14.63

Incredible Hulk 114 G+ $5.87

Incredible Hulk 126 VG+ $8.44

Incredible Hulk 130 FN $8.44

Incredible Hulk 131 FN- $7.69

Incredible Hulk 133 G+ $3.46

Iron Man 12 VG+ $12.67

Iron Man 13 G/VG $8.44

Iron Man 20 FN $14.03

Silver Surfer 15 G/VG $14.03

Silver Surfer 17 G+ $11.61

Strange Tales 115 PR $29.13

Sub-Mariner 16 VG $5.57

Sub-Mariner 23 VG $5.57

Sub-Mariner 24 VG $5.57

Thor (Vol. 1) 127 G- $9.95

Thor (Vol. 1) 165 G/VG $24.45

Thor (Vol. 1) 195 FN/VF $16.29

X-Men 23 G/VG $18.10

X-Men 28 PR $10.55

X-Men 55 G/VG $14.03

X-Men 56 VG+ $23.09

X-Men 64 VG/FN $23.24

X-Men 66 VG $20.52

X-Men 98 VG+ $18.86

X-Men 108 FN $19.61

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'reprints'?

The UK published reprints were an entirely different animal and not related to the distribution of the US comics?

Spanish etc were not printed in the U.S. These truly are pence price variants. These are U.S. comics with a price change for a different market. The month was left off for shipping purposes and the indica for distribution. Most people that research these agree that they are most likely printed first. These are really no different than Diamond, 30 cent or 35 cent variants except those markets were the country as the regular printing.

Attempting to hitch these foreign comic books to the "price variant" bandwagon strikes me as misleading if not disingenuous.

Yes, "if" you tear off the front cover they might look a lot like the original American books.

Yes, "if" they were still sold in America but had a different monetary denomination (rather than actual currency type), they would be "price variants".

But no one is going to tear off those covers, and they were not sold in America and do not simply have a different denomination of currency.

They are not the same books. Substantially similar? Yes, because they are also in English. That just made it a cheaper and easier foreign market for Marvel to experiment with. But they are still foreign books nonetheless. Not "technically foreign" either. They are foreign.

And what's wrong with them just being that? As someone mentioned earlier, there is still a market for them. (shrug)

-J.

My mistake about the different indicia. I haven't examined an AF #15 or an FF #1 but the later copies seemed identical.

The date missing is understandable, because the books were likely shipped by sea and an old date on a new book would hinder sales.

Nobody ever wins against Jaydogrules. Nobody. lol

Yes, "if" you tear off the front cover they might look a lot like the original American books.

I believe if you tear off the front cover they are 100% identical.

Whether they were printed ahead of or behind the American books is irrelevant. They were printed at EXACTLY the same time on the same presses as the US books.

Yes, "if" they were still sold in America but had a different monetary denomination (rather than actual currency type), they would be "price variants".

So are American books sold overseas at military bases then considered foreign versions?

Attempting to hitch these foreign comic books to the "price variant" bandwagon strikes me as misleading if not disingenuous.

But no one is going to tear off those covers, and they were not sold in America and do not simply have a different denomination of currency.

They are not the same books. Substantially similar? Yes, because they are also in English. That just made it a cheaper and easier foreign market for Marvel to experiment with. But they are still foreign books nonetheless. Not "technically foreign" either. They are foreign.

And what's wrong with them just being that? As someone mentioned earlier, there is still a market for them. (shrug)

-J.

Personally, I don't buy into the 'price variant' mentality.

But neither are these books 'foreign'.

Barring the very earliest issues, there are the exact same book, printed at the exact same location, on the exact same printing plates, with one single minor difference...the price plates were swapped out for 10% of the print run.

It's the same as the Harley analogy. You wouldn't consider a HD a 'foreign' motorcycle because it was sold in the UK and carried UK licence plates, would you?

-J.

Got a link to where this is evidenced?

-J.

Personally, I don't buy into the 'price variant' mentality.

But neither are these books 'foreign'.

Barring the very earliest issues, there are the exact same book, printed at the exact same location, on the exact same printing plates, with one single minor difference...the price plates were swapped out for 10% of the print run.

It's the same as the Harley analogy. You wouldn't consider a HD a 'foreign' motorcycle because it was sold in the UK and carried UK licence plates, would you?

lol Who knows ? That may not even be a completely valid analogy. Let me turn it around on you and thus demonstrate why....

Is an American product that happens to be manufactured in China in fact a Chinese product?

I'm not so sure where it's made is as relevant as its intended destination of distribution. 2c

-J.

I'm not so sure where it's made is as relevant as its intended destination of distribution. 2c

So the moment an American product leaves America it ceases to be American??

That's why Elvis never toured outside the US.

So the moment an American product leaves America it ceases to be American??

In this case, as I have said before, they are in fact foreign versions of American books. (thumbs u

-J.