• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which is worth more, the Mile High Action #1 or the Action #1 Cover OA?

Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?

209 posts in this topic

Resto work, not resto. Got it?

Yes, you are absolutely right......my bad! :foryou:

I guess I must be showing my advanced age by using old negative valuation deflating terminology such as restoration.

Especially since we've been in the CGC era for awhile now and we should be politically correct and call it for what it really is, namely maximization of potential and all the positive and value enhancing connotations that this carries. (thumbs u

I wonder how many serious buyers there were willing to pay the 3 million for the last 9.0?

I wouldn't pay 3 million for the Action 9.0 but I would make an effort to buy the Action 1 cover art for 3 million

Especially since it was initially only a CGC 8.0 graded copy and required some undisclosed (tsk) resto work done to it in order to get it up to a CGC 9.0 graded copy.

What type of Resto?

+1 please elaborate.

Absolutely no idea as we were not privy to this information and this was generally accepted to be irrelevant since the book was residing inside a blue unrestored slab.

Anyways, this was already discussed in the Action 1 9.0 thread during the bidding process and some of the more knowledgeable board members knew more about the details of the actual improvements to the book. From what I read in the thread, it was definitely more than just a pressing job, but I assume nothing that would fall under CGC's much more limited and narrow definition of restoration. hm

Although the original art might fetch more money based upon some of the crazy prices being paid for art, I would personally take the Action 1 comic book since I am a comic book collector myself.

After all, the Church Action 1 is the absolute pinnacle in the comic book market, whereas the original art would probably not even register in terms of the original art market. hm

Anyways, back to the topic on hand, it looks like I may have been a bit too hasty in making my initial choice above.

Based upon what I am seeing in this thread, I guess I would take the OA and then sell it off so that I could pick up both the Church copy of Action 1, Allentown copy of 'Tec 27, and whatever else I can get on this unique piece of original art. :takeit:

When I first read the question, I thought to myself, "The Mile High copy of Action #1, of course".

I say this as a long time collector of comic books. When I first started collecting comics, I didn't even know original art was for sale (if it even was at that time).

I remember the first time I went to a convention and saw OA. I thought it was interesting, but did not think there was a real market for it. WRONG!

Over the years, I have seen more and more interest in the OA market place. People love it and I can see why. They are one of a kind. They are originals. They are a piece of history and a piece of the artist that created them.

I can respect those who would choose the OA for those reasons.

I agree that on an economic scale the OA would probably fetch a higher price as well.

As for me. I am just a collector of what I love. I would take the Action #1 mile high and treasure it.

This is not to say, I would turn down the OA, just that I would rather own the MH copy.

Collect what you love and forget about what is worth more to someone else.

When I first read the question, I thought to myself, "The Mile High copy of Action #1, of course".

I say this as a long time collector of comic books. When I first started collecting comics, I didn't even know original art was for sale (if it even was at that time).

I remember the first time I went to a convention and saw OA. I thought it was interesting, but did not think there was a real market for it. WRONG!

Over the years, I have seen more and more interest in the OA market place. People love it and I can see why. They are one of a kind. They are originals. They are a piece of history and a piece of the artist that created them.

I agree that on an economic scale the OA would probably fetch a higher price as well.

As for me. I am just a collector of what I love. I would take the Action #1 mile high and treasure it.

This is not to say, I would turn down the OA, just that I would rather own the MH copy.

I'd love to own the Church copy but I'd be afraid to handle it. I can imagine the Dentist gets asked by a lot of people if they could see the book. It's probably in a Fortress. Or has it been slabbed yet? How would you like to be the grader that pops a staple or puts a little split in the spine. What a drag if amateur resto showed up.

I'd love to own the Church copy but I'd be afraid to handle it. I can imagine the Dentist gets asked by a lot of people if they could see the book. It's probably in a Fortress. Or has it been slabbed yet? How would you like to be the grader that pops a staple or puts a little split in the spine. What a drag if amateur resto showed up.

it isn't slabbed. considering some of the hands that have been on it, I wouldn't completely rule out some tweakage

it isn't slabbed. considering some of the hands that have been on it, I wouldn't completely rule out some tweakage

Is tweakage considered restoration or conservation? hm

Or maybe, it's maximization! :idea:

that's determined by the will of the tweaker

that's determined by the will of the tweaker

Shouldn't a Mile High be virgin....unless purchased second hand by Church. Wouldn't one that has had repairs or resto be considered less desirable than one that wasn't? If the Mile High was a qualified or an amateur resto or professional resto, would another copy of Action 1 in the same condition but untouched be more desirable?

Or would the provenance trump all.