• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which is worth more, the Mile High Action #1 or the Action #1 Cover OA?

Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Mile High Action #1 vs. Action #1 Cover OA - which is more valuable?

209 posts in this topic

meh

(The phantom lady 17 labels say baker too :gossip: )

:facepalm:

Caught me editing lol

I checked a PL17 new label. They just say "matt baker art"(interior) and are silent on the cover. I guess silence is better than a misattribution. Still, I swear they used to say baker cover. I'm going to google some old labels

You are correct.

I guess not, but I remember reading a very convincing explanation of why it wasn't. Supposedly copied from the interior shyster panel but not actually shuster

Think it was Superman 1 cover from the new grading company that does not say Shuster?.

<a  href=S_zpsvhtd3fuy.jpg' alt='S_zpsvhtd3fuy.jp

True story - when that Action #15 cover went up for auction at Heritage and someone asked me about it, I said, "That cover will be won by a Golden Age comic collector cross-over guy. Probably Halperin or maybe someone like a Richard Evans."

lol That is great!

Please give me a shout the next time you have an inkling that I might be the guy for something, just so I'll know to save up some money!

I guess not, but I remember reading a very convincing explanation of why it wasn't. Supposedly copied from the interior shyster panel but not actually shuster

Think it was Superman 1 cover from the new grading company that does not say Shuster?.

<a  href=S_zpsvhtd3fuy.jpg' alt='S_zpsvhtd3fuy.jp

Ah yes

There is a valid comparable. The Mile High Action 15 would probably sell in the $250,000 range. I was offered $450,000 for the cover art... and turned it down.

If the Dentist called you and offered you the Church A1 for your A15 cover, would you do it?

I think Gene is correct in this instance. I think the Church A1 would go for more than the cover OA (if it existed). It's the Holy Grail of the Hobby. It's status is legendary. Word of mouth is that it's better than 9.2. And that's legit 9.2, not the loose 9.2.

And the point Dan brought up (re: how big a leap the price would have to be from previous) is so spot on.

As Gene said, 99.99% of the time, the OA would go for more than the book. Only a few instances (some good examples over in the OA forum) will the comic beat the OA. This is one of them.. Remember the question is would the MH/Church copy go for more? Not "any old HG" copy.

It is the Mona Lisa.

There is a valid comparable. The Mile High Action 15 would probably sell in the $250,000 range. I was offered $450,000 for the cover art... and turned it down.

If the Dentist called you and offered you the Church A1 for your A15 cover, would you do it?

I think Gene is correct in this instance. I think the Church A1 would go for more than the cover OA (if it existed). It's the Holy Grail of the Hobby. It's status is legendary. Word of mouth is that it's better than 9.2. And that's legit 9.2, not the loose 9.2.

And the point Dan brought up (re: how big a leap the price would have to be from previous) is so spot on.

As Gene said, 99.99% of the time, the OA would go for more than the book. Only a few instances (some good examples over in the OA forum) will the comic beat the OA. This is one of them.. Remember the question is would the MH/Church copy go for more? Not "any old HG" copy.

It is the Mona Lisa.

If Action 1 is the "Mona Lisa" of comics then what is the "Mona Lisa" of actual existing OA ?

And please dont tell me its ASM 328 cover lol

Actual existing OA is a tough qualifier because who can verify with certainty exactly what exists?

If af15 cover existed, to me that's an easy top dog. But does it exist? The several million dollar question .

Otherwise ai imagine you're probably looking at hulk 181 cover, and whatever ditko asm and early marvel Kirby covers exist. Others will know better than me but I think I recall asm 15 cover existing

Actual existing OA is a tough qualifier because who can verify with certainty exactly what exists?

If af15 cover existed, to me that's an easy top dog. But does it exist? The several million dollar question .

Otherwise ai imagine you're probably looking at hulk 181 cover, and whatever ditko asm and early marvel Kirby covers exist. Others will know better than me but I think I recall asm 15 cover existing

If AF 15 cover existed then yes that would surely be the Mona Lisa. I know the Ditko proto-type exists but wasn't aware the Kirby cover is certain to exist.

It is the Mona Lisa.

If Action 1 is the "Mona Lisa" of comics then what is the "Mona Lisa" of actual existing OA ?

And please dont tell me its ASM 328 cover lol

lol No. Definitely not!

Not sure what the OA Mona Lisa actually is/would be. I think you and Dan are right that the AF15 cover would be in the discussion.

I think the Tec 27 cover would be there too (surprise, surprise....the top OA is the covers the to Big 3). I think that with all 3 of those, nobody would be surprised if any one of them ended the highest (cover OA).

I'd guess that the ML of OA is one of those 3.

With the books, I'm fairly certain the pecking order is:

1. Church A1 (by a pretty large margin)

2. Allentown Tec 27

3. ?????

Yep. To clarify I was saying asm 15 (kraven) exists - I think -not af15 (unclear but IMO doubtful)

Thanks for the clarification.

Big difference.

Me personally I would love to own the ASM 15 with Kraven but hard to see that book becoming the Mona Lisa unless Kraven were to suddenly become more popular as a villain.

I know the ASM 11 with Doc Ock exists

That could maybe become a top cover one day

Iconic and Mona Lisa status...I dunno about that

Well in calling any if the art that does exist the Mona Lisa we stumble into the same problem we were discussing earlier. Nothing that would be worthy if the crown is publicly verified to exist. So it's hard to pick a clear winner or a 'peak' to the hobby.

Maybe the answer is that the Mona Lisa is a herb trimpe cover. That would be truly awesome on one level lol lol lol

^ it's like the greatest music ever recorded in all of history being by Milli Vanilli, the greatest painting in the world being by Bob Ross, the greatest novel in the world being by Dr Suess, the greatest architecture in the world being for a Burger King :insane:

Yep. To clarify I was saying asm 15 (kraven) exists - I think -not af15 (unclear but IMO doubtful)

Big difference.

Me personally I would love to own the ASM 15 with Kraven but hard to see that book becoming the Mona Lisa unless Kraven were to suddenly become more popular as a villain.

Agree with you here. Love the Kraven book, but it's not the best. Same with 11.

23 is (artistically) the best Ditko cover, but not early enough to be the top dog.

Well in calling any if the art that does exist the Mona Lisa we stumble into the same problem we were discussing earlier. Nothing that would be worthy if the crown is publicly verified to exist. So it's hard to pick a clear winner or a 'peak' to the hobby.

Maybe the answer is that the Mona Lisa is a herb trimpe cover. That would be truly awesome on one level lol lol lol

:roflmao:

Big difference.

23 is (artistically) the best Ditko cover, but not early enough to be the top dog.

The asm 23 cover if it existed would be a contender. Ditko green goblin villain. Wow

Big difference.

The asm 23 cover if it existed would be a contender. Ditko green goblin villain. Wow

Annual # 1 cover would look spiffy in the home office.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u