• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lifespan of a well cared for comic book?

23 posts in this topic

As collectors we all know the things that destroy comics books. What I want to know is what is the approximate lifespan of a well cared for comic book? A book that is properly bagged and boarded, and then kept in a climate controlled environment.

Longer than you will be alive...

^^ I forget the exact number of years, but the History Channel had a show called "Life After People" which talked about how long it would take for all traces of human civilization to disappear, if humans were to suddenly vanish. And on one episode, it mentioned paper documents (stored in some underground, climate controlled preservation chamber) which are supposedly safe for hundreds/thousands of years -- so I think as long as you take care of your books, they should be safe for easily several generations.

A modern book in mylar and stored in proper conditions will last many generations. A GA book in similar circumstances will not. The paper they used back then is simply inferior. I'm not sure how much shorter its lifespan will be, but it will be shorter.

In either case, a properly stored book will last several lifetimes.

What about a slabbed comic book? It is recommended to re-slab every 7 years. What happens to it if you wait longer than that?

Not sure they recommend that anymore. I think it was looked at as more of a business-getter than an actual need. You book is more likely to get damaged/destroyed in the reslabbing process (mailing both ways, being deslabbed and reslabbed, handling it, etc.) than it is if you just leave it alone.

If the Dead Sea Scrolls lasted this long than comics will last beyond our lifetime as long as they are preserved well.

Dead Sea Scrolls were not printed on rag paper, or any paper at all. Some are on copper, some are on parchment, some are on papyrus.

If the Dead Sea Scrolls lasted this long than comics will last beyond our lifetime as long as they are preserved well.

Dead Sea Scrolls were not printed on rag paper, or any paper at all.

Ditto for the Magna Carta...sheepskin parchment...lasts much longer than pulp paper, I presume.