• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long between art buys?

What is the longest you have gone without an OA purchase?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. What is the longest you have gone without an OA purchase?

30 posts in this topic

My first ever OA was a Gaydos Alias page-I was excited till I saw that it was mostly stats. Then I bought some sean philips pages, Curt Swan pages, a Mahnke GL splash, an adlard GL page, whatever I could afford I would buy. It's been about a year though since I bought anything.

I have a huge collection of Jeffrey Brown stuff-incredible pieces he sent me when I corresponded with him. I pretended to be my buddy an LCS owner and he sent him a cool drawing which my buddy framed and put up in his shop-he got the fever and now has several pieces - including a WD page that is now worth 5K and a R Crumb page worth about 8K that he picked up for $200. He frames most of the stuff and puts em in his man cave that has so many valuable toys it makes the 40 year old virgin look like a piker. I called him the 40 YO Virgin all the time and finally had to but him an Oscar Goldman action fig.

I began collecting in earnest in 2005 and had quite a learning curve. While my heart was in the right place I quickly began buying everything I couldn't afford that wasn't nailed down. That pace could not continue so I had a pretty big sell off. There are two pages from that sell off that I regret parting with but it got me into a more stable place financially so I can't really be too upset.

I was then married and took 2-3 years off, other than small sketches but I always had the itch. A couple years ago I was back but in a more limited way, probably spending the same if not more but in far fewer pieces per year. Now I must either sell something to buy something due to limited wall space (to me it's not art if it's not on the wall) or due to this stuff just being too damn expensive.

I don't see myself buying more than 1-2 major pieces a year now, but luckily most of my major wants are taken care of.

Sometimes you have to own something to realize you don't really need to own it! I have figured out a little better now what I just can't live without!! ;)

My first ever OA was a Gaydos Alias page-I was excited till I saw that it was mostly stats. Then I bought some sean philips pages, Curt Swan pages, a Mahnke GL splash, an adlard GL page, whatever I could afford I would buy. It's been about a year though since I bought anything.

I have a huge collection of Jeffrey Brown stuff-incredible pieces he sent me when I corresponded with him. I pretended to be my buddy an LCS owner and he sent him a cool drawing which my buddy framed and put up in his shop-he got the fever and now has several pieces - including a WD page that is now worth 5K and a R Crumb page worth about 8K that he picked up for $200. He frames most of the stuff and puts em in his man cave that has so many valuable toys it makes the 40 year old virgin look like a piker. I called him the 40 YO Virgin all the time and finally had to but him an Oscar Goldman action fig.

How do you get R. Crumb pages for $200? How long ago was this?

He owns an LCS and one of his customers was an old dude who didn't have long to live. He liked the LCS owner because he is a pretty good dude and he wanted him to have it. My friend told him it was worth way more but all he wanted was $200.

It was about 9 months ago.

I started in 11-12, and at my peek got maybe 5 pieces a year? Now maybe 2-3 pieces a year now since I've chosen quality over quantity, and have to be choosy with a small budget, but am happy with all the pieces I've gotten, including some that I now wouldn't be able to afford since there value has increased.

It had been quite awhile for me.. I don't recall buying any art for at least the past 5 years (probably longer than that), but I made up for it this year when I bought a collection that had hundred of pieces (pages, commissions, sketches, prints, etc..).

049_zpsnfybjojl.jpg