• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicArtAds update--Bolland, Keown, etc.

8 posts in this topic

Good morning all!

I wanted to let you know that if you haven't checked out www.comicartads.com lately, you missed a posting of 20 Brian Bolland art ads, as well as the beginning of a bunch of Dale Keown art ads ($150 Hulk covers, anyone?).

Also, the ComicArtAds Facebook page has featured some fun exchanges related to some of the very old ads I have been posting there. You can check that out at:

https://www.facebook.com/comicartads/

And feel free to "like" the Facebook page, if you are in to that sort of thing. Cheers, Lee

The only thing worse than not buying OA back all those years ago is having bought but then sold too early :(

I felt like that for a few mins, until I realized a lot of the ones posted I was under the age of 7 (born in 77). At 7 i found it very difficult to get a few hundred dollars together to scoop up OA.

Interesting.... the Killing Joke interior page was priced at $550 in 1989.

Eight years later (1997) a Bolland Batman cover (Detective Annual) was priced at $600.

The Killing Joke pages were priced astoundingly higher than anything else Brian had done, right from the day they were released. Although it is definitely interesting that the ads are 8 years apart.

That particular KJ page was put into a charity auction and I was accidentally put into a queue outside the venue by a staff member and by the time someone realised the mistake the page had sold. It was the only thing I was there for and it was significantly under my (meagre student) budget. 20 years later it still bothered me although not so much these days.

:)

Interesting.... the Killing Joke interior page was priced at $550 in 1989.

Eight years later (1997) a Bolland Batman cover (Detective Annual) was priced at $600.

The Killing Joke pages were priced astoundingly higher than anything else Brian had done, right from the day they were released. Although it is definitely interesting that the ads are 8 years apart.

That particular KJ page was put into a charity auction and I was accidentally put into a queue outside the venue by a staff member and by the time someone realised the mistake the page had sold. It was the only thing I was there for and it was significantly under my (meagre student) budget. 20 years later it still bothered me although not so much these days.

:)

Thanks for sharing the Killing Joke memories and insights Joseph! I am surprised that I have not seen more Killing Joke ads over the years. Best, Lee