• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's Smallville revisited
2 2

113 posts in this topic

I was a big Smallville fan. I even wrote an episode, which sat unread on the showrunner's desk for months. That -script came very close to getting me a writing staff position on a 2004 Flash TV series, but the studio didn't move forward with the show when they weren't happy with the showrunner's pilot -script. :frustrated:

Now that's interesting! Have you written other stuff too?

The showrunner who was grooming me for a staff position on The Flash felt so bad about the show not going forward, he invited me to pitch feature ideas to he and his producing partner. I pitched a sci-fi comedy called LEGAL ALIEN that they both loved. We began developing the -script, and it was clear right away that the two of them had very different ideas of what approach I should take with the material. I ended up writing a draft for one of them, then they'd give me notes and I'd write a draft for the other one. Finally, I wrote a draft for me and said "this is it". One producer loved it, the other didn't, and that was the end of it.

I was a bit disillusioned by my experience, and soon after my son was born, so I backed off screenwriting and channeled my energy into writing 3 local interest books. Now, it's a decade later, and I have the itch to get back into it. I brushed-up a few scripts, THE SLIMIES, MONSTER CITY, and LEGAL ALIEN, and cold-queried a few agents. One really liked my stuff, but wants to see something new. So, I'm currently working on a feature -script entitled FATHERS DAY.

We'll see. :wishluck:

This thread is well-timed - I quit watching Smallville after season 5 back in the day, but, just picked it up again from season 6 about a week ago. So far, I'm enjoying it again. Two things became very obvious (again) after getting back into the series: (1) it's very "CW" (re: even more teen/young adult drama/romance than the network's current programming) and (2) thankfully special effects have improved over the past 8-10 years!

I now have borrowed Seasons Six through Ten from my co-worker. With the end of Season Five taking Clark into the Phantom Zone, I'm thinking this is where it should get much darker. Though you are so right - the CGI at the time was not as advanced as now (The Flash, Arrow).

Season Six's opening leans towards a much darker period for sure with Zod taking over Lex's body.

I never realized Dave Batista appeared on Smallville Season Six (Episode: Static) as one of the villains (Aldar) that escaped the Phantom Zone. Martian Manhunter appears, and kills him.

static-2.jpg

Aldar was an enormous humanoid alien who fed on bone marrow. Although he was from the Phantom Zone, he was not a wraith and still retained his physical body.

I had the chance to watch one of the darker Smallville episodes I have seen yet (Season Six, Episode 12 - Labyrinth).

One of the aliens that escaped from the Phantom Zone is able to attack Clark and through mind-control convince him everything he ever knew was all a fantasy. That he is actually a mental patient who has been treated for an extended period because of his delusions of being a super-being meant to protect Earth.

I thought it was well worth watching. Even better that Martian Manhunter makes an appearance, again.

Absolutely loved Smallville!

Watched religiously from beginning to end. Some seasons were far and away better than others. The season with the stones/witches (Season 3 I think) was pretty bad, but overall the show consistently delivered and had really good cliffhangers.

Also, Allison Mack :luhv:

Season Six feels like where they turned the show around, and made it much more interesting.

- Lex Luthor's Project Ares

- Lana finds out Lex tricked her into believing she was pregnant

- Clark's powers are much further along

Where I skipped around ALOT in the earlier seasons, this one I can't help but watch it all the way through so far.

Season Seven definitely changed things further, starting with the appearance of Bizarro. But the involvement of Kara adds to the interesting parts of the plot. Especially since Lex Luthor felt he owed her a debt for saving his life.

I never realized Dean Cain appeared on Smallville. That is pretty cool he became so closely associated with the character, they included him on this show and Supergirl.

Did anyone ever get the chance to read Smallville Season Eleven?

Smallville01_cover.jpg

Smallville to continue as a weekly digital-first comic

Here’s good news for fans of the television show Smallville who were left without their fix in May when the series went off the air for good: DC announced today that Smallville is coming back as a comic, which will be released first in digital and then in print form. The series will be written by Bryan Q. Miller, who was a scriptwriter for the show, and will pick up where the television story left off. Pere Perez, who worked with Miller on Batgirl: The Flood, will handle the art, and the digital cover above is by Cat Staggs.

It looks like in the comic book they admitted Dean Cain's character was actually Vandal Savage. It turns out they couldn't actually use the comic characters name on the show because there was a production in development at the time that was going to use Savage as the villain.

Bryan Q. Miller: At one point, we almost had a Vandal Savage episode -- it was the one that we had with Dean Cain -- and literally at the last minute, features said, "We have a feature in development." It was years ago when I think New Line had something cooking, so we had to change it to a generic character named Curtis Knox and it was inferred that he was probably Vandal Savage. Stuff like that would come up all the time, not just with Batman.

Season Seven is a mad dash to excitement that I am enjoying.

- Brainiac: Creepy and twisted. A true villain!

- Lex Luthor evilness revealed: Now I get it more than ever why people love Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor portrayal. One minute you feel for the guy. The next, you want to see him pay for all the pain he has caused people.

- Lionel Luthor: Wow! What a way to go. And yet you find out so much of his backstory concerning what was driving him in his later life.

- Veritas: It all comes together finally.

:whee:

Season Eight, 'Toxic'

We are introduced to Oliver Queen's years on Starfish Island where he picks up his marksmanship skills, long before the success of the 'Arrow' series. To me, it is very well done and shows foundational work at The CW for its later wonderful work.

QpabcVk.png

:whee:

Right now, Season Six through Eight are turning out to be my favorites. Loads of action, new characters, and yes - less young lust time which distracted from the earlier episodes.

inst78.jpg

Even the Maxima episode was quite entertaining. Though I am not sure yet if she ever appears again.

So by Season Eight, Tom Welling had put on 30 pounds of muscle to truly fit his role as Kal-El,

SM7t4wH.jpg

I wonder if he could have pulled off a Superman movie, as he definitely was well established at this point in the role.

So by Season Eight, Tom Welling had put on 30 pounds of muscle to truly fit his role as Kal-El,

SM7t4wH.jpg

I wonder if he could have pulled off a Superman movie, as he definitely was well established at this point in the role.

That's what I had said when the reboot came out a few years back. That DC should've made the movie as an extension of Smallville, with Clark becoming Superman. Use the Smallville cast and everything.

And, I'm talking about the crappy Kevin Spacey reboot.

Edited by chrisco37

That's what I had said when the reboot came out a few years back. That DC should've made the movie as an extension of Smallville, with Clark becoming Superman. Use the Smallville cast and everything.

A big miss on the part of CW and Warner.

They had a cast that was already deep into their roles, and recognized by many. It could have been a slam-dunk easy hit.

A big miss on the part of CW and Warner.

They had a cast that was already deep into their roles, and recognized by many. It could have been a slam-dunk easy hit.

It seemed like a no-brainer to me. Show was still pretty popular at the time, so you've already got a built-in audience. Younger actors that could've stuck around and grown up with the franchise.

I finished Season Eight, and have to say it was the darkest yet most adventurous of all the seasons. And it isn't just because it contained a massive Doomsday by the end.

- Davis Bloome: Geoff Johns loved what the show did with this character, in demonstrating the human/Kryptonian-side of Doomsday before he becomes the beast that is most recognized. But the dark part here is he has to become a serial killer to counter his strong desire to transition and destroy the world.

- Davis Bloome death field: Clark finds out where Davis is taking all his killings when they go out to the original corn field where Clark was found and he scans the dirt. That was really creepy, as there were tens of bodies throughout.

- Oliver Queen killing Lex Luthor: 'Requiem' was an extremely dark episode in itself, as you find out how twisted Lex truly is. In the end, what Oliver does is practical when you consider how deadly Lex had become. Add to this Oliver's desire to revenge his parents that Lionel Luthor had killed, and there is no bright spot here.

- Oliver Queen keeping Lex's Kryptonite ring: Like their version of Batman, keeping something handy in case Clark ever gets out of control. We find out Oliver was holding onto a Kryptonite ring for just such a situation.

- Chloe Sullivan forced to run off with Davis: Davis and Chloe realize she calms his inner Doomsday from coming out. So as to protect the world from him, Chloe runs off with Davis, sacrificing her own marriage and friendships.

- Jimmy Olsen on drugs: Due to all this character had gone through across a very troubling season, Jimmy picks up a drug habit that overcomes his inner goodness. He even visits Oliver for a loan so as make a big score, to which Oliver realizes immediately what he is seeing is an addict and turns him away.

- Doomsday: The design was much better than I expected after reading a joke on here about the weakness of the Smallville Doomsday. And rather than throwing him at you in one big reveal, the production crew only showed him sparingly to keep you coming back for more. So when he is finally revealed, it is done in a way that it mad the overall season well worth the wait. The DVD set has a special feature on how much went into the design of Doomsday, along with how they wanted to slowly introduce him to viewers.

And even when he is first shown in 'Bride', you could tell this was going to be a different season all around when Davis/Doomsday took Chloe to the Fortress of Solitude.

- Death of Jimmy Olsen: Wow! I did not see that coming. And it really changed things up for the show, as the character was very well done. But he had become something other than the boy that helped out around the Daily Planet, and was more of a troubled character. In the end, he sacrifices his own life to save Chloe.

If there is a season you want to jump in and see how good Smallville could be, I would go right for Season Eight. You'll miss out on some of the backstory from other seasons. But you'll be too busy enjoying all you see to worry about it.

Season Nine is quite the wild ride. Although it can be confusing at times if you don't stay on top of each detail shown.

High points:

- JSA (Season Nine: Absolute Justice, Part 1, Absolute Justice, Part 2, Salvation): This episode was fantastic. Especially the actors playing Hawkman and Doctor Fate.

- Zatanna (Season Nine: Warrior): This was a great appearance, and a cool episode where a kid steals a rare comic that was cursed which makes him his dream superhero.

Low to medium points:

- Jor-El appearance (Season Nine: Kandor): Played by Julian Sands. We find out Jor-El had lived on Earth at one point in his life ( hm ), and this is now his clone showing up with a confusing story about a science experiment leading to the creation of...

- Zod and the Kandorian Army: Created originally to be clones to maintain the life of Kandor heroes, they now turn out to be a large group with no super powers wishing to conquer Earth. This is where the season gets confusing.

- Tess Mercer: Throughout the season she goes back and forth with her loyalties to Lex, Zod, Clark, herself, humanity - very confusing character.

I'm far from finished with the season. But these items stood out so far.