• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the market cooling?

106 posts in this topic

Oh, I remember, but that was just one character. Nothing like today.

But comics were still a fringe hobby 26 years ago. Not mainstream like today.

2200 copies of New Mutants #98 in CGC 9.8. Yikes!

There's probably no character among young people that is more popular today than Deadpool, so that's to be expected.

Multiple reasons.

1) strong US dollar removes many potential buyers who don't live in the US

2) there is always a slow down about a month before Christmas.

3) strong surge of books on the market after people grading popular movie books and putting them on the market

etc, etc, etc.

The market has been 'cooling' and 'getting hot' for 50 years now.

Canadians are not buying and that´s a big market

Multiple reasons.

3) strong surge of books on the market after people grading popular movie books and putting them on the market

etc, etc, etc.

CDN dollar at 1.3606 today :cry: plus add in the duty/taxes we pay, it is costing us almost $1.40 - $1.50 CDN for every $1.00 US......

Lately I have been seeing better than avg prices for copper and bronze keys. I've noticed prices for NM 98, BA12, Ms. Marvel, TT2 and others can bought at lower than their recent highs.

Anyone else noticing a trend? Weakening economy? Are we past the Avengers, GOTG, and other movie hysteria?

Most books that shot up in value will eventually come all the way back down to their pre-movie values. New books will be hyped to take their places, however.

Prices on the three books you mentioned have been just plain silly considering how common those books are.

I think there has been too much emphasis on first appearances and other so called key books. Too many speculators just trying to ride the gravy train. Once they realize how empty that kind of "collecting" is they will bail and flood the market and start to buy what they love, again.

I think there has been too much emphasis on first appearances and other so called key books. Too many speculators just trying to ride the gravy train. Once they realize how empty that kind of "collecting" is they will bail and flood the market and start to buy what they love, again.

What if what they love doesn't happen to be comics? :D

Regardless, the movie hype machine is FAR more prevalent today. Prices are bound to spike, then recede. It lends itself to a far less stable market.

Multiple reasons.

etc, etc, etc.

CDN dollar at 1.3606 today :cry: plus add in the duty/taxes we pay, it is costing us almost $1.40 - $1.50 CDN for every $1.00 US......

That's why you guys should buy from Chuck--he's always holding 40% or 50% off sales. :D

Regardless, the movie hype machine is FAR more prevalent today. Prices are bound to spike, then recede. It lends itself to a far less stable market.

This is true. The more interesting question in the long run is how the whole comic market will fare when superhero movies eventually fall out of favor, as eventually they are bound to.

What if what they love doesn't happen to be comics? :D

:applause:

The best time to buy and worst time to sell is coming up. Dec. 15th-Jan-15

People buying for Christmas or still paying for Christmas after.

I've gotten some of my best deals ever the week after Christmas.

2200 copies of New Mutants #98 in CGC 9.8. Yikes!

There's probably no character among young people that is more popular today than Deadpool, so that's to be expected.

If you look at sales, I wouldn't call comic books "mainstream". The characters certainly are though.

This is true. The more interesting question in the long run is how the whole comic market will fare when superhero movies eventually fall out of favor, as eventually they are bound to.

my guess is it would resemble what the market was like before the influence of comic book movies, which would be harder to get, more scarce books, like certain GA books, Pedigrees and SA keys. I mean are prices for ASM 300 going to continually rise? I think not, that book is everywhere, all the time, any time of day.

It is the time of year. Things usually slow down before Christmas and don't pick back up until Feb/March. It is a good time to buy (you can get some great bargains for auctions finishing on Christmas day). Also the books listed by the OP are the most volatile in the hobby.

Multiple reasons.

etc, etc, etc.

#NailedIt.

Right now $600 USD is around $830 AUD (not including PayPal conversion rates). Then add shipping - $50 USD on average - around $70 AUD.

All of a sudden you're looking at a pretty much 1 grand via PayPal in dinky-di real money for a mid-range key.

Christmas is a big player too. I've won some books at ridiculous prices when the auction was finishing on Christmas Day.