• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,663 posts in this topic

I just finished the Daniel Warren Johnson segment. When it comes to art, DWJ is a BEAST; and yet, he sounds like a gentle soul, and generous, too, with that sketch offer at the end. I'm still waiting for the right DWJ piece to come along, but I'd love a commission, but they kind of sound expensive now. 

Daniel says he has a humble collection, but as the years pass and he makes more cash with steady work and art sales, and as his networks expand, he's going to have a nice collection as a result.

Another good episode! I'd love to hear from some more budget collectors in the future.

I also think some female collectors would help break up the sausage fest. I'd love to hear them weigh in on commissions vs pages, GGA dominance on CAF, investment potential, nostalgia vs. aesthetics, etc.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:35 AM, BCarter27 said:

Another good episode! I'd love to hear from some more budget collectors in the future.

I also think some female collectors would help break up the sausage fest. I'd love to hear them weigh in on commissions vs pages, GGA dominance on CAF, investment potential, nostalgia vs. aesthetics, etc.

^^

Another fun and well hosted podcast Felix, HOWEVER you are slipping a little... I believe this podcast just had one quick mention on the Dark Knight Returns ; )

Ever consider an on topic show focusing on one artist (.ie Frank Miller)? Felix Lu, Scott Williams and Dave Mandel talking Daredevil, Ronin, Dark Knight and their Miller art would be a fun show. If it went well, Neal Adams, John Buscema, Jack Kirby, and my favorite -  John Byrne could be potentially as fun shows as well, with passionate collectors talking about their favorite artists! Or just keep doing what you are doing your podcasts are outstanding!!!

I like the Chicago guys, those type of friendships keep the hobby fun. They mentioned their DAY trip to Comic Art Con, that seems to be very common. I went to the last Comic Art Con and finally put a lot of faces with screen names but, after the con everybody bolted! I was thinking how fun it was going to be to talk shop with all the veterans of the hobby after the show, but just about everyone turned to vapor. They probably just wanted to shake the new guy and head to a major party in Albert's luxury suite, having a ball trading Kirbys and Ditkos like there was no tomorrow!

Steve

Edited by gumbydarnit

2 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

I like the Chicago guys, those type of friendships keep the hobby fun.

There's a motion on the floor to change our name to "The RON and the Ron-ettes", but voting's been bogged down in committee. 

I went on such a Daniel Warren Johnson tear after Heroes con, reading his earlier books (and picking up a couple pages thanks to Felix's sale). 

So it was very fortuitous that Daniel was a guest this month.  DWJ was incredibly nice at Heroes, drawing remarks in my books and explaining (as he did in the podcast) that he wants everyone to walk away with art. I'm enjoying his Extremity, but am also looking forward to any updates on his ongoing webseries, Space-Mullet. 

Great episode Felix! Hearing from the Chicago cabal was fun and very familiar, especially their reminiscing on how they met.

-Anthony

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

10 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

"The RON and the Ron-ettes" .... nope my vote is "Chris, Ron & Lil' Ron"

Am I the only guy in the hobby that isn't a doctor or a lawyer?!? I should have hit the books harder and now I'd be a cover/slash guy instead of a panel page guy ; )

Well, out of "Chris, Ron and Lil' Ron" only one of us is a lawyer or doctor. So there's hope. 

On 7/11/2017 at 0:25 PM, OD said:

Awesome jobs guys, didn't know ron or chris k were from Chicago.  Chris do you guys do any meet up with other collectors in the area,  i know there's one during WWC which i haven't attend before but if there is please let me know.

Thanks

Octavio

Thanks everyone!

Octavio, are you a member of comicart-l? There's usually a dinner during C2E2 at list member GianCarlo Nardini's restaurant, Club Lago. Excellent food! I've only been able to make it one year (the show is work for me now, and I no longer have the time), but it was a great time. You'll meet a lot of collectors.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, BCarter27 said:

You're in luck, I have another episode coming up with a "budget collector". The guy actually has a big budget, he just chooses not to partake in the deep end of the pool. A different perspective from so many others.

As for female collectors, that's something I hope to do, as well. I know a couple who would check off a lot of boxes: They're younger than us, they are mostly "budget collectors", they do commissions, they buy new art, etc. Alas, neither are in the US, so it's unlikely we'll ever be able to meet in person (my preference for doing these podcasts). There's one long-time female collector I'd LOVE to have a chat with. She was buying DKR pages back in the day from Scott Free and Albert, to give you an idea. And she has maintained her eye for top-notch talent/material to this day. Unfortunately, she's pretty much a recluse when it comes to interacting with other collectors, so I don't think it's ever going to happen.

1 hour ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I went on such a Daniel Warren Johnson tear after Heroes con, reading his earlier books (and picking up a couple pages thanks to Felix's sale). 

So it was very fortuitous that Daniel was a guest this month.  DWJ was incredibly nice at Heroes, drawing remarks in my books and explaining (as he did in the podcast) that he wants everyone to walk away with art. I'm enjoying his Extremity, but am also looking forward to any updates on his ongoing webseries, Space-Mullet. 

Great episode Felix! Hearing from the Chicago cabal was fun and very familiar, especially their reminiscing on how they met.

-Anthony

Daniel is just a good human being, and it's great how so many have responded to that. Not surprised that it came through in our talk. That's just who the guy is. No guile or pretense to him at all. Whenever we're all together, all the other guys mercilessly bust his balls for being the Pollyanna of the group. He just laughs along. I love that kid!

Which makes the ultra-violent imagery and ideas of EXTREMITY that much more shocking. Where the hell did that come from?? But knowing where the story is headed now, everything starts to make sense.

He's got many, many fans amongst his fellow artists and professionals, fwiw. At shows, other seasoned veteran artists come to his table to pay their respects. Talent recognizes talent! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

If you want to hear more from Dan, he recently did a podcast with The Collective:

http://www.thecollectivepodcast.com/156-daniel-warren-johnson/

2 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Hearing from the Chicago cabal was fun and very familiar, especially their reminiscing on how they met.

Oh, and with any luck, I'll catch up with the Chicago Three, along with other podcast alums, at SDCC next week for the show. :wishluck:

I just like to take the opportunity to say Thanks! to Felix and all the (previous and to be) participants of his podcast for the generosity and spared time to do it and share their stories and/or views on this hobby (past, present and future) we love and are addicted (for most of us I believe for the rest of our lives).

They've been tremendously informative and entertainment for me, they even allowed me to know there was a TCJ, a CGC forum (that I just sign up), a Herb and Dorothy documentary and so on. So, a big THANK YOU TO ALL!!!

PS: ...and I even didn't read DKR to know why is all the fuzz about it :)

2 hours ago, Joao Antunes said:

I just like to take the opportunity to say Thanks! to Felix and all the (previous and to be) participants of his podcast for the generosity and spared time to do it and share their stories and/or views on this hobby (past, present and future) we love and are addicted (for most of us I believe for the rest of our lives).

They've been tremendously informative and entertainment for me, they even allowed me to know there was a TCJ, a CGC forum (that I just sign up), a Herb and Dorothy documentary and so on. So, a big THANK YOU TO ALL!!!

PS: ...and I even didn't read DKR to know why is all the fuzz about it :)

Thanks Joao, I appreciate the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the show!

New episode is on the way...along with a bonus video featuring several podcast alums, including some of the stalwart members of these boards. Coming soon!

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Thanks Joao, I appreciate the kind words. Glad you're enjoying the show!

New episode is on the way...along with a bonus video featuring several podcast alums, including some of the stalwart members of these boards. Coming soon!

SDCC 2017 edition?

The Felix Comic Art Podcast visits San Diego Comic Con 2017 where we talk to arguably the most influential person in the original art market, co-founder of Hertiage Auctions, Jim Halperin.

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

Jim is a major comic art collector in his own right, but on this day, we focus on Heritage and its impact on the comic art market. All auction houses tout record prices achieved...but what about potential market manipulation or shilling? Jim doesn't shy away from any of it. If you've been curious about what goes on behind the curtain at auction houses, this episode is a must-listen. Thanks to Jim for being so game!

In addition, part 2 is a bonus section from SDCC where we catch up with some former guests Satya Chetri, Gene Park, Ron Sonenthal, Lambert Sheng, and Andy Robbins!

Also, go to our YouTube channel (youtube.com/felixcomicart) to check out our latest video: The SDCC 2017 dinner with Walter Simonson hosted by Scott Dunbier! It was a blast, thank you Walter and Scott!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Sign up for our mailing list at felixcomicart.com. Support the show by leaving a rating/review on iTunes. We reward those who do both. Thanks and enjoy the show!

I listened to the first part of the new pod this afternoon and while I appreciate Jim's willingness to discuss various customer concerns, I don't get the sense that what he had to say is going to change anyone's mind one way or  the other.  The mechanisms seem to be in place for the system to be rigged, it's just a case of whether or not you trust those involved to play fair.  I personally do, but I'm probably a little naive.  I'm also not throwing around 5+ figures for art.  If I were, I'd probably be a little more cautious.

Edited by rocket1312

2 hours ago, rocket1312 said:

I listened to the first part of the new pod this afternoon and while I appreciate Jim's willingness to discuss various customer concerns, I don't get the sense that what he had to say is going to change anyone's mind one way or  the other.  The mechanisms seem to be in place for the system to be rigged, it's just a case of whether or not you trust those involved to play fair.  I personally do, but I'm probably a little naive.  I'm also not throwing around 5+ figures for art.  If I were, I'd probably be a little more cautious.

Let me start by saying that, overall, I'm a big fan of Heritage and think they've done a world of good for the market and the hobby.

Regarding the concerns that people have, I think they have adequate safeguards in place for shilling - like Jim said, they can't stop consignors from having friends bid on their lots, but, they can make sure people have to pony up the fees if they end up winning back their own lots as well as taking action against anyone caught shilling.

I personally am comfortable leaving my max bid in the Heritage system (whether during the Internet bidding session or setting Heritage Live to bid for me on auto-pilot).  I do not believe for a second that the house uses that info to run up prices - I have won many lots at far below my max bid.  And, in cases where I have won at my max bid at a record price, it's like Jim said - I can think of one instance where I later found out that it was indeed a friend who didn't know I was after a piece and ran it up on me inadvertently.

Regarding Jim & other employees bidding on their own auctions - to me, this is more problematic.  Yes, I get it that it's good for consignors.  But, is it fair to their bidding clientele if Heritage puts a lot on its catalog cover only to have its co-Chairman win that lot?  Or to have to pay more because Jim or another Heritage employee was the underbidder?  I have some issues with that (and there have been instances where I have finished as the direct underbidder to Jim - the Cap #117 cover for example).  On the other hand, it is my understanding that Jim & other Heritage employees actually purchase a not-insubstantial amount in every Signature auction (and who knows how much their bidding drives up prices on lots they don't win) - there's no doubt in my mind that this is helping prop up both values and liquidity in the marketplace, which is, on balance, probably a good thing.  Would people want that prop to the market to go away?  Tough call, though, I do have some issues in principle about this conflict of interest with their bidding clientele - and, it's not like this practice isn't explicitly forbidden in some states.  

Finally, something that hasn't been addressed, but I think should be - at auction houses like Sotheby's and Christie's, if a lot carries a price guarantee or is consigned by the house or principal of the firm, that information is explicitly disclosed (by law, I believe, in states like NY) in the catalog.  Jim stated in the interview that Heritage buys for its own account, but their ownership is never disclosed when these items show up again at auction (and they definitely do, as I have been informed of specific examples in the past).  I really believe that, in the interest of transparency, this information should be disclosed. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

The internal bidding is a tricky thing.  Do I think the everyday rank and file at Heritage are bidding on items they otherwise wouldn't with the goal of propping up their employer?  No, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a clear conflict of interest.  At the same time, as long as they're not using inside information to screw the other bidders, I guess I don't really see the harm.  One bidder's no different than another, right?  I don't know.  Like I said, I'd probably feel stronger about it if I had more at risk financially.  I know Gene mentions that this practice is illegal in some places, but how is it perceived in other collecting circles where Heritage may not be as big a player?  Is this sort of thing completely verboten in, say, the fine art world?