• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding current values for GA comics

34 posts in this topic

I am well aware of how to get an approximate price for SA and up, but I am having some difficulty getting sources of values for GA comics. Overstreet seem to lag due to when it prints, and I have heard some say it tends to be off on its values for GA. I could be wrong in that. I am currently negotiating to get my first couple GA books, and I do not want to screw it up.

GPA, Heritage past sales and current offers on past sales, Metropolis listing prices and Comiconnect past sales, Ebay past sales ( and what isn't selling), OSPG for ballpark on common stuff, all will give you an idea, though with some stuff, only experience and memory will really give you the best idea.

I use auction results as a guideline for a lot of the scarcer books. OPG is good for the common GA issues, but for hot areas like PCH or pre-hero DC OPG has never been a good guide. Certain issues can fluctuate greatly from sale to sale too. Hope that helps.

GPA, Heritage past sales and current offers on past sales, Metropolis listing prices and Comiconnect past sales, Ebay past sales ( and what isn't selling), OSPG for ballpark on common stuff, all will give you an idea, though with some stuff, only experience and memory will really give you the best idea.

This is good advice. If you are going to do much buying and selling of GA books, a subscription to GPA is a must. If you haven't signed up with Heritage, you should do so for free access to their archives. With respect to Metro, their prices are useful as a guide to the ceiling on what you would want to pay. Same with eBay BINs.

You could try G.a.tors golden age comic values service. For a mere $5....err...$10, I hear he will provide for you as good of a fmv as free services :)

Sure, thanks, I think?

I singed up for Heritage , and looked at past auctions. The values are consistent, sort of. They do give a great idea of past prices, but when it has been sometimes several years between issues selling, it really only gets you in the ballpark.

Do a little internet research a few of the copies I am looking at are from Metropolis. Which then brings up my next though about how accurate is their grading.

\

Do a little internet research a few of the copies I am looking at are from Metropolis. Which then brings up my next though about how accurate is their grading.

\

..... They have a great return policy if you don't like the item. Another source for pricing info is right here on these boards. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

On the downside they over grade golden age by a point or two at least half the time in my experience.

They do carry hard to find comics on the upside..............

Yeah, that is why I am questioning it. One of the issues is listed as high grade, and judging by the picture the grade seems a little aggressive. I know GA is judged on a little bit of a curve at most places, but it seems one or two points high. It looks amazing in the photos, but not as amazing as their grade.

On the downside they over grade golden age by a point or two at least half the time in my experience.

Yeah, that is why I am questioning it. One of the issues is listed as high grade, and judging by the picture the grade seems a little aggressive. I know GA is judged on a little bit of a curve at most places, but it seems one or two points high. It looks amazing in the photos, but not as amazing as their grade.

.... a little tip about Metro...... the book you're looking at will likely be sold within a year.... and then you will wonder what might have been. With scarce books in better than average shape, I find it best to look at the book and forget the grade...... does the book look like something you'd like to own ? Is the price something you can handle ? With GA...... especially the better stuff, you can quickly find yourself a day late and a dollar short. GOD BLESS...

-jmbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... a little tip about Metro...... the book you're looking at will likely be sold within a year.... and then you will wonder what might have been. With scarce books in better than average shape, I find it best to look at the book and forget the grade...... does the book look like something you'd like to own ? Is the price something you can handle ? With GA...... especially the better stuff, you can quickly find yourself a day late and a dollar short. GOD BLESS...

So their prices tend to be fair?

I find they rarely undergrade, but as often as not, they are accurate IMHO. I just got two books from them, one they graded a GD+ - but i'd call a GD- ( with decent eye appeal - but a third of the spine is split along with other wear). The other they called a FN-, which might be a FN or even FN+ by CGC standards. There are dealers who do better, but also one's who do worse. While you won't find bargains, I've seen stuff sell for more on ebay than what they usually ask.

...... and also, the books that are priced "fairly" are often the ones that aren't selling. With GA books, it can really be more than one market, generalities just complicate your decision. Do you want it?......... Do you want it BAD ? GOD BLESS...

..... for what t's worth, I've bought hundreds of books from Metro..... they are one of a handful of dealers whose "recent arrivals" section I check almost daily.

Just asking questions because it is a new area of comic collecting for me. I would not call it a rare book, but it is the nicest one I have seen for sale. It is not at the high end of the comic market, but I would not call it cheap either.

Hit or miss in my experience. If you are looking at a high-grade copy they've listed at a strong price, it's worth asking yourself why they didn't have the book graded.

Otoh, though, when board member Cheetah did a little test by sending books from several dealers in for grading, Metro ended up doing pretty well.

You could try G.a.tors golden age comic values service. For a mere $5....err...$10, I hear he will provide for you as good of a fmv as free services :)

If the service includes provision of a copy for purchase, I'm in. :banana: