• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a key, but wow is that cover ugly!
1 1

165 posts in this topic

I always liked the Guardians of the Galaxy but can't even begin to buy Marvel Superheroes 18 because I'd hate to have to look at it:

7A9BEC44-0125-4AB3-80FE-9E37829F1B2A.jpg

Careful what you say about Gene Colan...! :)

I like a lot of his work, I just think this was an unfortunate cover.

309928d4b100a5d75adff48a9bfc1ddb_xl.jpg

well that one reminds me of ASM 16 and to a lesser extent ASM 10

What is with the circus bars in the middle of nowhere in the silver age issues.

That story happens at the circus. No, it actually does.

I've never had a problem with 16. I think I might be the only person that doesn't mind 10. :blush:

23 is the best, easily. I like 18 & 24 as well. 17 is pretty good too (good colors, good goblin & torch).

1 is terrible. Ditko's Doom (on 5) is horrible.

I like 10.

DET_284.jpg

happened across this one today--- probably not a key clearly but this cover is really odd

I love the oddball Batman costumes and mutations from the 50s and early 60s. I don't have them anymore, but at one point I used to pick up copies of just those types of Batman covers.

Hands down the worst. So ugly I can't even bear to own it.

braveandthebold_v1_054.jpg

Lame villain, squiggle lines all over it like a kid with an ink pen, 2/3rd of the team down, ugly drab colors, no Titans logo.

Just pure mess.

I agree - always hated this loser cover.

Like this cover a lot.

It's awesomely lame.

DET_284.jpg

happened across this one today--- probably not a key clearly but this cover is really odd

I love the oddball Batman costumes and mutations from the 50s and early 60s. I don't have them anymore, but at one point I used to pick up copies of just those types of Batman covers.

.... I'm particularly fond of tec 241 with the magenta Batman ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

wonder_woman_177_7.5_zoom_zps2ec9sacw.jpg

Two transsexual men about to duke it out? HORRENDOUS!

On my God! Who drew that,it's terrible.

This gets my vote. :P

ive always liked this cover besides the faces...thats why i drew brown bags over their faces on my copy

wonder_woman_177_7.5_zoom_zps2ec9sacw.jpg

Two transsexual men about to duke it out? HORRENDOUS!

On my God! Who drew that,it's terrible.

This gets my vote. :P

Looks like Carmine Infantino.

.... I'm particularly fond of tec 241 with the magenta Batman ...... GOD BLESS....

In honor of the Rainbow Batman

batman-hoarder.jpg

In honor of the Rainbow Batman

batman-hoarder.jpg

.... and let's not forget another of my favorites, # 275's Zebra Batman :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

ST #110 - don't know if it qualifies as ugly but it's lacking a key ingredient

I know this is sacrilegious but I've always been underwhelmed by Ditko covers. They always lacked an 'oomph' of some sort.

He was a great storyteller though.

I used to feel this way as well. But I think Ditko is an acquired taste, much like the musical genius of Jimi Hendrix, it is hard to grasp on the the first go round.

The covers of ASM #23 and #24 really sold me to his brilliance.

I like those Spidey covers too. But for every solid Spidey cover that Ditko drew (like #3, #23, #24, #28, #29) there are plenty of clunkers like #8, #22, #30, and #31. I can't imagine how Marvel let the cover for ASM #30 ever go to the printers.

What's amazing to me is that the stretch of Romita covers that followed Ditko's work was just incredible. For me, ASM #39 to #75 is one of the best sustained runs of covers I can think of. They're not all great, of course. But I think the number of classic covers in that run is far greater than the covers that are just ok.