• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a key, but wow is that cover ugly!
1 1

165 posts in this topic

ST #110 - don't know if it qualifies as ugly but it's lacking a key ingredient

I know this is sacrilegious but I've always been underwhelmed by Ditko covers. They always lacked an 'oomph' of some sort.

He was a great storyteller though.

I am a very big fan of Ditko the artist and storyteller. He should be studied by all comic book artists.

But I too have felt that covers were not his strong point. Great anatomy and perspective but he didn't seem to have much interest in rendering backgrounds. (shrug)

I'm not alone.

NM 98 - not a bad cover in terms of layout.. The drawings just suck

ST 110 - bad cover

Marvel Comics 1 - not my fav, doesn't look to me like a comic book cover (in the classic sense)

GL 1 - bad; I've always hated that puppet

I nominate FF 48 and BA 12

when I saw the title, I thought this would be about showing a key book you own that is in pretty rough condition.

but in the spirit of this thread (though perhaps not exactly a true "key")----

batman-033.jpg

I may be able to win that key that looks crappy contest

I have a love/hate with X-Men #1

I love X-Men and it is an iconic cover…it's just a stupid one…why does Angel have a bazooka? What is Beast swinging off of? How is Magneto's powers blocking Cyclops' laser vision? And WTF is Jean doing in the background?

Hey ............. why does Angel have a bazooka ?

Thats an excellent question hm

Considering the lines around Angel's feet, it seems to me that Magneto is chucking that bit of metal at him, and he is falling back.

If we're going to be critical about SA Marvel, what's with the ropes on the cover of FF #1?

Ants with hands? Has anybody seen ants like those?

2615127-talestoastonish027.jpg

They haunt my dreams, effectively, every night..., :eek:

The cover of BA 12 to comics is what telly tubbies is to TV rantrant

well considering it was a comic for kids based on a cartoon... what did you expect... suggest you check out some My Pretty Pony, Richie Rich and NFL Super Pro