• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money do you spend on comics.

44 posts in this topic

I spend roughly $30-40 each week at the local shop. And probably an average of about $50-100 each month on ebay purchases and back issues from the shop. Not a whole lot in a year, but that's all I can afford. As a grad student, I'm only making $16 per year sorry.gif

I'm in the negative this year so far.

A few sells, almost no buys.

crazy.gif

I will be, too. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I spent MORE than my rent money last yerar, but I'm on a stricter budget because I want to give to my ROTH IRA this year.

Percent wise confused-smiley-013.gif

But here is the monthly breakdown

Between $100-$125 a month. Now add to that when i get extra money for doing little odd jobs or selling a book or two here and there and maybe a little bit more. So, that totals to around $1500-$2500 a year.

Last year I spent TOO MUCH out of pocket, probly close to 10k (I don't regret it, though, I nabbed some superior books that don't come down the pike very often)...so this year I am just spending out of comics I sell, with about 35% going into the "do-not-touch-till-I'm-almost-dead" savings account and the remainder going back into comics. So far it's been working pretty well, and I'm gradually replenishing my funds from last year's spend like mad session. thumbsup2.gif

I think I might spend 10% of my net this year is that too much? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bob, the only person who can answer that question is you. Here is how I look at things and not suprisingly how other on here feel as well.

1- Take care of things like house payments, home equities, and other stuff first

2- Take and place money into things like Roth's, 401k's, savings, mutuals, and others. This will be the basis of your money after you stop working and is the single most important thing you can do to prepare yourself for retirement. DO not expect comics to do it for you.

3- Spend money on your family, if you have one, and make sure you put away money for things like vacations, incidentals, and such

4- Then, after you have done the above, spend what you feel comfortable with on comics. Maybe set yourself up a budget and stick to it. If you get to where you think you are spending too much on comics, then you probably are. Also, sometimes back away for a little while to reasses your collecting direction. Are you focusing on something in particular, or are you just buying everything in sight. Focusing on one or two titles (Avengers and Thor) has helped me focus, thus making the buying of the comics more rewarding. I also know that I cant go and buy just any and everything because it would keep me from working on my other runs.

that is kinda the way I look at it.

Take it for what it is worth,

Arex

$8,000-$10,000 per year.

Ya, I'm somewhere in there as well. The caveat is that I dont sell, or I maybe sell between 500-1000 of stuff a year max. Last year I sold nothing so its all cost I absorb.

Usually do 2 shows a year, WonderCon and another big Con - where I drop 5K total. The rest is Spread out throughout the year and includes maybe $500 a year on new stuff. If I make a large non-convention buy, as I did last year, I will skip one of the conventions. Last year I spent a few thousand a month before the summmer shows and went to the beach and played volleyball instead. I felt it was win win in that case.

Take into consideration that I am single and debt free (no student loans, car loans, I have rent and that about it) if the situation were different and my income remained constant there is no way I'd drop 10K a year, or I would probably start selling to finance other buys and I suck at that being such a comic pack rat.

I don't sell any books, well not enough to say I sell, since that money is turned around and invested back in another book(s). My goal is to unload it all in 20-25 yrs, aside from the collection that I'm putting away for my two girls. It's part of my retirement plan, as I put back for the girls college sepreatly, and my wife has her 401K from her old job that I put $ into annually, plus a joint IRA for both of us, and my SEP(self emplyed pension). So, the collection is a part of the overall picture, plus I'm getting ready to buy 20 acres and sit on that for 10-15 years. Plus, buying comics helps me to relax. thumbsup2.gif

Last year I spent a few thousand a month before the summmer shows and went to the beach and played volleyball instead.

I think we need to organize a CGC Forum Beach Volleyball tournament. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I spend about $500 a month on comics, which is nearly all of my "fun-money"...

my fun-money is there to be spent, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't go to bars or clubs anymore, I don't go to the movies, I have no car, no debts or loans to pay, no alimony or child support, no pets... nothing just comics

The rest of my paycheck goes towards my household, the kids, bills, savings, gifts and charity etc...

Of course it hurts sometimes that 36% of what I make go to taxes, but it's a nice trade-off for free transport, health care and social security.

And I get to retire when I'm 57...