• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Emperors New Clothes

45 posts in this topic

Hater! Emitt Smith rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in 3 years in college on a mediocre, probation-limited UF team that featured a pass-oriented offense, came back and earned his degree after joining the NFL, and won 3 Super Bowl rings. He was never flashy, he was simply the most solid and consistent running back in NFL history along with being one of the best to ever to play the college game. sumo.gif

[sigh] forgot your a total UF fan. screwy.gif i do recall that in emmit's last bowl game he got rocked/stuffed by the Cal bears. blush.gifforeheadslap.gifinsane.gifyeahok.gif

John Byrne

George Perez

That Turner guy the modern fanboys seem to love.

Turner's stuff seems stiff and boring, and while Byrne & Perez are not without talent, their stuff hardly stands out for me - must be a Bronze/Copper Age thing.

As for some of other choices posted - I think Frank Miller is way overrated as a writer, but not as an artist.

Neil Gaiman - I just never went for all that mystical stuff - so I wouldn't know if he's any good at it or not.

Alan Moore is too prolific to be consistently good - but I loved LoEG, and look forward to the 3rd series.

Frazetta - the guy is fantastic, but so are about 50 other comic book illustrators, pulp painters and the like. He is overrated only so far as there are some that think he is without peer - hardly.

Hater! Emitt Smith rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in 3 years in college on a mediocre, probation-limited UF team that featured a pass-oriented offense, came back and earned his degree after joining the NFL, and won 3 Super Bowl rings. He was never flashy, he was simply the most solid and consistent running back in NFL history along with being one of the best to ever to play the college game. sumo.gif

[sigh] forgot your a total UF fan. screwy.gif i do recall that in emmit's last bowl game he got rocked/stuffed by the Cal bears. blush.gifforeheadslap.gifinsane.gifyeahok.gif

Yep, and did I mention that when he graduated high school he had the 3rd highest yardage/points scored total in the history of HS football in the United States? He excelled at every level he played at, and was probably the best block reader ever to play in the NFL. Don't be hatin' Emmitt 'cause he was fortunate enough to play on a good team in the NFL, he would've produced on any team... 893naughty-thumb.gif

so you're trying to tell me that he's the greatest RB ever? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

He's definitely in the top 5.

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. Barry Sanders

4. Emmitt

5. Gale Sayers

As for some of other choices posted - I think Frank Miller is way overrated as a writer, but not as an artist.

I kind of feel the other way around about Miller. I hated the art in DKR, but I also hated the story. (I gave my friend the TPB a few weeks ago and he read it and he only thought it was only OK, and he's really only a reader and not a collector.) The art in DD wasn't bad but issue 168-181 is probably my favorite arc I've ever read...

I kind of feel the other way around about Miller. I hated the art in DKR, but I also hated the story. (I gave my friend the TPB a few weeks ago and he read it and he only thought it was only OK, and he's really only a reader and not a collector.) The art in DD wasn't bad but issue 168-181 is probably my favorite arc I've ever read...

I liked his writing on both the Daredevil runs he did, as well as Batman: Year One, but that was what, 20 years or more ago. My criticism has more to do with his later work - while I thought the first Dark Knight books were overrated, they're pure genius compared to DKR, and the Sin City story arcs were getting so redundant and boring, I stopped buying them - and I love hardboiled crime!

• Donald Trump

• Randy Johnson (this year only - gonna have a rough summer in da' Bronx)

• Keanu

• Collecting Original GI Joe Art (payback's a biitch, isn't it Gene? 27_laughing.gif )

Next, we need a thread of the most UNDER-rated!

so you're trying to tell me that he's the greatest RB ever? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifscrewy.gif

He's definitely in the top 5.

1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. Barry Sanders

4. Emmitt

5. Gale Sayers

Yeah, something like that... thumbsup2.gif

Todd McFarlane & Bart Sears certainly fit the category of folks who don't know that they're necked.

For the old school folks Ditko was never my cup-o-tea but he probably knew he was necked and still didn't care what everyone else thought...went and paraded up and down the street telling everyone that if you didn't like it, then you didn't know how to appreciate his beauty. gossip.gif

• Donald Trump

• Keanu

• Collecting Original GI Joe Art (payback's a biitch, isn't it Gene? 27_laughing.gif )

Next, we need a thread of the most UNDER-rated!

Mignola, Bobland, Liefield

Also Collecting Original GI Joe Ar grin.gif

• Donald Trump

• Keanu

I agree about the G.I. Joe art - only #21 is worthy of all the praise it gets and more. smirk.gifacclaim.gif

But what I really, truly in my heart-of-hearts believe is overrated is the Green River Pedigree. I mean, if not for some loose association with some homicidal nut-job, who would really give a flying 893censored-thumb.gif? confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif27_laughing.gif

• Donald Trump

• Keanu

I agree about the G.I. Joe art - only #21 is worthy of all the praise it gets and more. smirk.gifacclaim.gif

But what I really, truly in my heart-of-hearts believe is overrated is the Green River Pedigree. I mean, if not for some loose association with some homicidal nut-job, who would really give a flying 893censored-thumb.gif? confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, 'Hook may be a little loco at times, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't KILLED anyone. Right, 'Hook?

'Hook? 893whatthe.gif