• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

Comiclink or Heritage Auctions may be a good choice for you .There are several other sites too, but these are the sites that I have dealt with. If you do decide to sell the book, I would recommend contacting them and explain your situation. A book like yours would be a focal point of an auction. Sometimes, but not always, you can negotiate their fee's on a book like this.

By the way, Your uncle has great taste in books!

This whole situation is still very very strange.

Randomly this person finds or is pointed in the direction of this forum. Knows how to post on here (which by the way, there is an entire guide to help Newbs because it isn't intuitive) and then knows how to post "proof" of ownership. Two posts total and we have different pictures, "proof" and a typical "trojan horse" fishing statement about how the people here are experts and they are only here for help...

This is a shill of a current boardie, a former member or someone who is being coached.

In any case, nothing about this is normal and it smells fishy.

Seems like a great gift. It seems like a very thoughtful and valuable gift. Unless you really need money I would keep it forever because of your uncles thoughtfulness and generosity. I would also buy some warlock trade paper backs and give it a read . best of luck. You can learn a lot more good or bad right here.

What's the story on how he got the book?

Seems like a great gift. It seems like a very thoughtful and valuable gift. Unless you really need money I would keep it forever because of your uncles thoughtfulness and generosity. I would also buy some warlock trade paper backs and give it a read . best of luck. You can learn a lot more good or bad right here.

"Her Uncles story is" , he bought it on heritage in 2013 :makepoint:

"Her Uncles story is" , he bought it on heritage in 2013 :makepoint:

(shrug) so he knew he outbid a celebrity?

Megan, the comic from your uncle has a retail value of $7000 - $9000. It's a great book.

Probably higher on the spectrum of that range based on the last sale of a 9.8 at $8,365

The TC pedigree gives it a little bump so I'd imagine between 8-9k is more like it.

Megan, nice story and if I were you, i'd sell the comic book unless it has some meaning for you. 8-9k is an amazing wedding gift.

If you decide to sell it to a dealer...you will not get the full value so take that into consideration when you check your inbox for private messages as I imagine you have a few from some...

:)

Randomly this person finds or is pointed in the direction of this forum.

Because this forum is so obscure and hard to find? (shrug) Especially if your search is based on having a CGC graded book that you want to learn about?

Knows how to post on here (which by the way, there is an entire guide to help Newbs because it isn't intuitive) and then knows how to post "proof" of ownership.

So she's not a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person like some newbs (and too many regular posters) seem to be? And, yes, it is intuitive to anyone with a modicum of intelligence. There's nothing difficult about posting on a message board, even within the rules and best practices.

Two posts total and we have different pictures, "proof" and a typical "trojan horse" fishing statement about how the people here are experts and they are only here for help...

This is a shill of a current boardie, a former member or someone who is being coached.

You can see whatever you want, but you might want to get your eyes checked.

Because this forum is so obscure and hard to find? (shrug) Especially if your search is based on having a CGC graded book that you want to learn about?

(thumbs u this forum shows up super high on most CGC/pedigree related comic searches- within hours of new topics being posted. It's sometimes hard to find other sources.

My nightmare is searching on a topic and only finding the CGC forum and my own site :insane:

Knows how to post on here (which by the way, there is an entire guide to help Newbs because it isn't intuitive) and then knows how to post "proof" of ownership.

So she's not a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person like some newbs (and too many regular posters) seem to be? And, yes, it is intuitive to anyone with a modicum of intelligence. There's nothing difficult about posting on a message board, even within the rules and best practices.

Two posts total and we have different pictures, "proof" and a typical "trojan horse" fishing statement about how the people here are experts and they are only here for help...

I like this post.

Just out of shear logic. Would any of you give an eight thousand dollar comic book away? I think a card and a 100.00 bill is sufficient. It just doesn't smell right,but hey what do I know. (shrug)

If this was my niece, my brother's daughter, said brother now being dead, but whom I was very fond of, and this niece asked me to take his place walking her down the aisle for her wedding...?

$8,000 seems pretty moderate, these things considered.

Random person shows up with an $8,000 gift knowing how to use the message board exactly in the way an existing member does within two posts is fishy. Intelligence doesn't replace experience and most who join here need more than two posts to leverage functionality properly and post using member norms of "proof." Not to mention they found the exact right thread versus posting in CG like every other newb ever... The story is silly and the amount of the gift is absurd. Maybe it is real, but I highly doubt it.

Attacking me personally at the end only shows what you are all about - picking fights. You only posted in this thread because you wanted to argue with me. Before that you didn't say a thing and you didn't comment on others who are questioning the validity.

I have my opinion, feel free to give yours - but do not come looking for a fight directly me with because you (or your pals) have beef with me. Please and thank you.

I hope this is true because it would mean this man is TRULY thoughtful and honored to have walked her down the aisle.........but I'm with oakman on this one. She lost me at "...which makes it a silver book, yes?"

Random person shows up with an $8,000 gift knowing how to use the message board exactly in the way an existing member does within two posts is fishy. Intelligence doesn't replace experience and most who join here need more than two posts to leverage functionality properly and post using member norms of "proof." Not to mention they found the exact right thread versus posting in CG like every other newb ever... The story is silly and the amount of the gift is absurd. Maybe it is real, but I highly doubt it.

Attacking me personally at the end only shows what you are all about - picking fights. You only posted in this thread because you wanted to argue with me. Before that you didn't say a thing and you didn't comment on others who are questioning the validity.

I have my opinion, feel free to give yours - but do not come looking for a fight directly me with because you (or your pals) have beef with me. Please and thank you.

I can see why you are skeptical. I had my doubts as well (and still have a few-- trust me-- I am not ponying up to buy this book).

But if we place the age of the person somewhere between 22-32 years old-- using a message forum is very likely second nature and very transferable to ANY forum. Check Lipstick alley if you don't believe me (not that I've ever been there but it is a forum for ladies-- and they know how to operate all the bells and whistles. So why not some random person?

How they got here seems related to their search function -- if you had no clue about comics-- you can start plugging in some information from the slab and it will lead you to threads from this exact forum. The use of "silver" was most likely the remnant of something they read. Though I can see how not using the full term "silver age" might seem like a forced mistake to appear a comic novice.

One could even conclude that the note they provided could have been fabricated.

Anyway-- I look at it this way: it doesn't cost anything to point them in the right direction and act civil. For all we know, this is the niece of someone we know and like on this message board. Would you want someone to act like a jerk to your niece? I know I wouldn't. Then again, I don't know that I would be this generous either. Maybe the guy is loaded-- or this was partly her dad's book in the first place.

Whatever the case-- all they asked for was a little help understanding how this works. She didn't call us dorks or nerds. She made some reference to muggles so maybe she like the Harry Potter stuff-- which fits the age range.

If some useful information helps save this Twin Cities pedigree book from being ruined, I think it was a good thing for the hobby in general.

And I hope you aren't reading this response with the tone of someone yelling at you-- I am calm as can be-- just wanting you to consider that this might be a legitimate post. I'll understand if you don't though.

Appreciate the detailed and balanced response. I see the opposite on some of your points, but I can understand why you would view it that way. Perspective goes more than one direction for sure.

I am naturally skeptical of these things (maybe just seen too many on here). We get way too many fishes and shills around these parts.

Maybe it is real, maybe it isn't - I am leaning to the latter.

In any case to your point, "she"' isn't insulting anyone or stirring trouble at this point - which is positive. I have no plans to "attack" her or engage directly.

:shrug: We will see what happens, if anything.

I think I've largely got most of the data I need for now. There are still some things I'm fuzzy on, but if at this point nobody has spoken up with that information, it seems unlikely I'll be able to obtain it. To those who were helpful to me (Peter, Minisink, W16, Rob React, Crimebuster, Mark1, TheDude, Lazyboy, anyone else I might have missed), I genuinely thank you. It's been enlightening, and I doubt I would have been able to figure out things like a fair present value without your aid. You've been immensely helpful.

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

I will, however, in passing point out that the name of this forum is "Silver Comics", and I just wanted to make sure I had chosen the right forum (I thought there was an outside chance it might be a "Copper" book), so sorry I didn't know I had to call it "Silver age comics" instead. If you're that particular, perhaps petition to have the forum name changed. And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image, but for as unintuitive you think this board is, it's a breeze compared to BoardGameGeek. Spend some time over on BGG and you'll learn what lack of intuitive controls are. And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Paul - I don't know the story of how my uncle came to have it, or even when he came into this book. I'm planning on making a point to ask him when I see him on Christmas. Perhaps I'll message you directly once I know the tale and tell you. I do know he's an huge collector of this stuff (he built a giant panic room section onto his house that he keeps all this stuff tucked away in, and my dad used to say his collection was worth a large fortune), so it's entirely possible he's going to see this thread if my experience here was not typical, because he does not suffer fools gladly and I doubt he'd tolerate some of the more vocal attitudes I experienced if it's the norm. Hopefully he looks at it with bemusement.

Anyhow, this all has given me a lot to think about. I don't need the money, and his card (I think) intimated that he thinks that in time it'll be more valuable if I'm patient, so I might just put it in a safe deposit box and wait and see. He's crazy brilliant, worth trusting the opinion of. And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Not that it matters but I didnt find this story that hard to believe (at least outside my top 100 cool but true stories I have personal experience with) . An 8k wedding gift from a close relative walking someone down the aisle isnt at all in realm of "absurd".

Thread has exposed some seriously jaded, defensive, grizzled vets who have seen so many scams in their day that they forgot a basic rule. Treat people with respect and assume they are telling the truth until you have reason to otherwise. Its ok to have a higher level of scrutiny if someone was trying to sell you something, which this person never was.