• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

I am calling BS.... This is too weird. Almost everyone who understands this hobby...knows pedigree books like this are special. They would not hand them out like candy unless they were suicidal.

Not necessarily so!

The primary and sometimes only focus of your typical LCS is on selling new books. Many of them do not even deal in older books except for their own recent back issues which they were unsuccessful in selling when they first came out. In fact, for those stores that do carry older back issues, the overwhelming majority of them would have only raw back issues, with no slabbed books at all.

In this type of environment, you must be living in a fantasy world if you believe the owner is going to be on top of the game when it comes to pedigree books. Especially when there are now absolute dozens of pedigrees recognized by CGC. He probably would if the label read Edgar Church (Mile High), San Fransisco, White Mountain, or any of the other long standing established pedigrees that have been around for decades. Maybe not so much if you are talking about the recent pedigrees such as Suscha News, River City, or even Twin Cities. Heck, some of these newer pedigrees are really seen as nothing more than CGC marketing tools and don't really fetch much more than similarly graded non-pedigree copies.

Even though the person is an owner of a comic shop and should in theory have some degree of knowledge, it is still highly possible that he is not aware that a CGC 9.8 copy of FF 67 is worth $8K+, especially when top of guide is at only $550. Let's look at a couple of other scenarios here:

1) If she had walked in with a CGC 2.5 copy of Detective Comics #31 and the owner offered her $15K for the book when it guides for only $13K in 2.0 Good condition, would you say the owner is trying to rip her off; or hm

2) If she had walked in with a restored CGC 2.5 PLOD copy of Amazing Man #26 which guides for only $371 in 2.0 Good condition, would the owner be trying to scam her by offering her $500 since he knows Centaurs are tough to come by? hmhm

A lot of these shop owners are simply too busy trying to stay afloat in this volatile new book market, that they just don't have the time to understand the finer intricacies of the older back issue market. :gossip:

I was debating how Comic Store owners work...

I do not believe the story. I do not think someone who spends thousands on a pedigree book simply hands them out like Candy to people who do not understand the hobby. This is also unhealthy for the hobby...

If it were me, I would have sold the book to a collector then GIVE HER THE CASH. Make sense?

There are so many problems with your logic in your two posts that I don't know where to begin. (Mistaken) assumptions and (mistaken) judgments. Part of the issue is with your belief in the following line of reasoning: "If I wouldn't do ______________ , then it is impossible or highly unlikely for some one else to do so".

I don't really care how you feel about my logic?

You sound like a troll.

Just a response in general.

People who know me, especially from the Probation Discussions, know I am not prone to rapid accusations and speculation.

But there IS something about the original post that does not sit comfortably for me. It feels like great pains were taken to sound totally uninformed about comics and about CGC. Yet the key points were somehow hit on, but in a way that attempted to sound ignorant of their import. Also the use of the word "thing", overly repeated, factors in here. Using "thing" in the context used here is very odd and furthers the feeling the OP is trying to sound uninformed. I cite:

"I see other comics that look like this one, but their number in the upper left hand side is way lower."

Perhaps the least offensive but adds to the overall impact. Later in the same post this is now referred to as "graded number".

there are apparently only 9 of these in the world, and he's seen them all and this one is the overall best of them

Does the uncle works for CGC or are all of the 9.8s consolidated in one place? May be possible but again just adds to the off kilter feel.

Three very odd uses of the word "thing":

thing in the middle of the label that says white pages

graded number thing in the upper left is 9.8.

It's also got the words "Twin Cities" in italics next to the hologram thing.

Why the inclusion of "thing" here? Again, it sounds like an attempt to sound uninformed.

At this point I am not disputing the OP has the book. I am questioning the presentation of being that uninformed.

There was also the use of the word "premium" in relation to the book's provenance.

However, the attempt to sound uninformed despite obviously owning the book (not to mention showing the scan of the uncle's letter) - what could possibly be the motivation behind doing this? hm

People who know me, especially from the Probation Discussions, know I am not prone to rapid accusations and speculation.

But there IS something about the original post that does not sit comfortably for me. It feels like great pains were taken to sound totally uninformed about comics and about CGC. Yet the key points were somehow hit on, but in a way that attempted to sound ignorant of their import. Also the use of the word "thing", overly repeated, factors in here. Using "thing" in the context used here is very odd and furthers the feeling the OP is trying to sound uninformed. I cite:

"I see other comics that look like this one, but their number in the upper left hand side is way lower."

Perhaps the least offensive but adds to the overall impact. Later in the same post this is now referred to as "graded number".

there are apparently only 9 of these in the world, and he's seen them all and this one is the overall best of them

Does the uncle works for CGC or are all of the 9.8s consolidated in one place? May be possible but again just adds to the off kilter feel.

Why the inclusion of "thing" here? Again, it sounds like an attempt to sound uninformed.

At this point I am not disputing the OP has the book. I am questioning the presentation of being that uninformed.

There was also the use of the word "premium" in relation to the book's provenance.

However, the attempt to sound uninformed despite obviously owning the book (not to mention showing the scan of the uncle's letter) - what could possibly be the motivation behind doing this? hm

.... I think we're all over-thinking this. Personally, I have 3 sisters who all interject the word "thing" into discussions a lot. Personally, I find the depth of detail, coupled with the "oddness" of it, to be somewhat affirmative to me 2c ..... not that I wouldn't mind a picture of Megan, in a bikini, holding the book, as further proof. (Sorry Megan, I'm just being honest ....especially about the bikini, preferably teal.... :foryou: ) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I think we're all over-thinking this. Personally, I have 3 sisters who all interject the word "thing" into discussions a lot. Personally, I find the depth of detail, coupled with the "oddness" of it, to be somewhat affirmative to me 2c ..... not that I wouldn't mind a picture of Megan, in a bikini, holding the book, as further proof. (Sorry Megan, I'm just being honest :foryou: ) GOD BLESS...

Good points Jim.

I do not believe the story. I do not think someone who spends thousands on a pedigree book simply hands them out like Candy to people who do not understand the hobby. This is also unhealthy for the hobby...

Why do you characterize an uncle giving his deceased brother's daughter, his niece, whom he walked down the aisle, this book featuring the first appearance of his deceased brother's favorite character as "handing (it) out like Candy (sic)"...?

"Giving (something) out like candy" means "giving something freely away without thought to who or why."

Does that accurately characterize this situation?

Some people are utterly incapable of seeing separate realities.

So you couldn't sell a comic then give the person the money? Makes sense...

I don't want to argue. I personally do not care. I have been collecting and buying expensive comics for a long time. I don't need a lecture on the hobby.

But, you have no problem publicly questioning someone's integrity, and calling them a liar...?

:shrug:

Why do you characterize an uncle giving his deceased brother's daughter, his niece, whom he walked down the aisle, this book featuring the first appearance of his deceased brother's favorite character as "handing (it) out like Candy (sic)"...?

"Giving (something) out like candy" means "giving something freely away without thought to who or why."

I don't want to argue. I personally do not care. I have been collecting and buying expensive comics for a long time. I don't need a lecture on the hobby.

But, you have no problem publicly questioning someone's integrity, and calling them a liar...?

Not believing isn't calling someone a liar. You know... Not everyone is 100% honest... But hey, you seem to have better judgement than I do.

.... I think we're all over-thinking this. Personally, I have 3 sisters who all interject the word "thing" into discussions a lot. Personally, I find the depth of detail, coupled with the "oddness" of it, to be somewhat affirmative to me 2c ..... not that I wouldn't mind a picture of Megan, in a bikini, holding the book, as further proof. (Sorry Megan, I'm just being honest ....especially about the bikini, preferably teal.... :foryou: ) GOD BLESS...

Jimbo, I love you like a brother (they never proved anything!) but it still strikes me as odd the OP managed to cite the the key features: grade, page color, pedigree and first app and cameo app out of all the information they could have cited but did not. Why was the most important information seemingly picked out of the air like that with apparently zero knowledge about what any of it meant? No mention of a Universal Grade, no mention of bar code or its number, no mention of artist, no mention of writer. Selecting pedigree, appearance, grade and PQ only demonstrates either tremendous coincidence or a knowledge that surpasses what is professed.

As to why? I have no idea. Again, I am not questioning one way or another that they have the book. I am questioning their professed lack of knowledge. We have all seen similar before with new posters.

Jimbo, I love you like a brother (they never proved anything!) but it still strikes me as odd the OP managed to cite the the key features: grade, page color, pedigree and first app and cameo app out of all the information they could have cited but did not. Why was the most important information seemingly picked out of the air like that with apparently zero knowledge about what any of it meant? No mention of a Universal Grade, no mention of bar code or its number, no mention of artist, no mention of writer. Selecting pedigree, appearance, grade and PQ only demonstrates either tremendous coincidence or a knowledge that surpasses what is professed.

As to why? I have no idea. Again, I am not questioning one way or another that they have the book. I am questioning their professed lack of knowledge. We have all seen similar before with new posters.

All that, as well she mentioned doing "data research on adam warlock" and found he may be battling that "purple dude" in GOTG 2?. im pretty sure in the data research, it says Adam Warlock battles the Purple Dude?. hm to me looks like she pointed out "facts" then tries to sound uninformed by calling Thanos ," the purple dude". , whole thing is sketchy 2c - not that it matters much either way

I am calling BS.... This is too weird. Almost everyone who understands this hobby...knows pedigree books like this are special. They would not hand them out like candy unless they were suicidal.

Not necessarily so!

The primary and sometimes only focus of your typical LCS is on selling new books. Many of them do not even deal in older books except for their own recent back issues which they were unsuccessful in selling when they first came out. In fact, for those stores that do carry older back issues, the overwhelming majority of them would have only raw back issues, with no slabbed books at all.

In this type of environment, you must be living in a fantasy world if you believe the owner is going to be on top of the game when it comes to pedigree books. Especially when there are now absolute dozens of pedigrees recognized by CGC. He probably would if the label read Edgar Church (Mile High), San Fransisco, White Mountain, or any of the other long standing established pedigrees that have been around for decades. Maybe not so much if you are talking about the recent pedigrees such as Suscha News, River City, or even Twin Cities. Heck, some of these newer pedigrees are really seen as nothing more than CGC marketing tools and don't really fetch much more than similarly graded non-pedigree copies.

Even though the person is an owner of a comic shop and should in theory have some degree of knowledge, it is still highly possible that he is not aware that a CGC 9.8 copy of FF 67 is worth $8K+, especially when top of guide is at only $550. Let's look at a couple of other scenarios here:

1) If she had walked in with a CGC 2.5 copy of Detective Comics #31 and the owner offered her $15K for the book when it guides for only $13K in 2.0 Good condition, would you say the owner is trying to rip her off; or hm

2) If she had walked in with a restored CGC 2.5 PLOD copy of Amazing Man #26 which guides for only $371 in 2.0 Good condition, would the owner be trying to scam her by offering her $500 since he knows Centaurs are tough to come by? hmhm

A lot of these shop owners are simply too busy trying to stay afloat in this volatile new book market, that they just don't have the time to understand the finer intricacies of the older back issue market. :gossip:

If it were me, I would have sold the book to a collector then GIVE HER THE CASH. Make sense?

There are so many problems with your logic in your two posts that I don't know where to begin. (Mistaken) assumptions and (mistaken) judgments. Part of the issue is with your belief in the following line of reasoning: "If I wouldn't do ______________ , then it is impossible or highly unlikely for some one else to do so".

You sound like a troll.

I look like one. Now you must be happy.

I too do not care that you do not care how I feel about your logic.

I enjoy calling people liars. That this thread is one big sham!!! I can't beleve its still going. Wish this many people were interested in me completing the 21 years of Marvel comics. That was mainly me, talking to myself. Maybe I should have posed as a chick. :facepalm: Merry Christmas boys!!!!

Not necessarily so!

You sound like a troll.

I never said you look like one. An internet troll is someone who gets a rise out of people. You analyzed my comment... It's like if I were to analyze your grammar and correct you? That's an internet troll. No I don't get happy from arguments.

Good day to you. Have a nice holiday!

I enjoy calling people liars. That this thread is one big sham!!! I can't beleve its still going. Wish this many people were interested in me completing the 21 years of Marvel comics. That was mainly me, talking to myself. Maybe I should have posed as a chick. :facepalm: Merry Christmas boys!!!!

That's okay Frankie I think it's a great accomplishment. :headbang:

+1. One of the forum's best threads, natch. (thumbs u

+1. One of the forum's best threads, natch. (thumbs u

Thanks boys!!! Dave and Andy, Two of the guys that are also sick collectors!!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Not necessarily so!

You sound like a troll.

I never said you look like one. An internet troll is someone who gets a rise out of people. You analyzed my comment... It's like if I were to analyze your grammar and correct you? That's an internet troll. No I don't get happy from arguments.

Good day to you. Have a nice holiday!

I know what an internet troll is. I was joking with you.

" Analyze" is a broad term. Yes, I analyzed your comment - sorry if I caused offense. :foryou: In all fairness, you yourself "analyzed" another poster's comments, no? If you disagree, that's ok.

But there will be no further comment from me. Enough of this. As has been suggested, there are other more accomplished threads worthy of greater attention.

Happy Holidays to you, in all sincerity.

All that, as well she mentioned doing "data research on adam warlock" and found he may be battling that "purple dude" in GOTG 2?. im pretty sure in the data research, it says Adam Warlock battles the Purple Dude?. hm to me looks like she pointed out "facts" then tries to sound uninformed by calling Thanos ," the purple dude". , whole thing is sketchy 2c - not that it matters much either way

It almost seems like they are trying to sound like some kind of Goon considering the Child like way they are trying display a lack of knowledge.

It almost seems like they are trying to sound like some kind of Goon considering the Child like way they are trying display a lack of knowledge.

doh! +1

Careful. Don't lecture him.