• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thief caught stealing comics to support heroin habit

19 posts in this topic

That's a heck of a big store, considering rent in NYC.

Looks like it's Jim Hanley's Universe, based on the sign. They used to have a big location in midtown, just across from the Empire State Building. They moved a few years ago to a much smaller location a few blocks from there and almost completely dropped their back issue stock. But as noted, Staten Island is a little different. I'm an NYC resident and it's been years since I set foot on Staten Island. It feel a lot more like Long Island than the rest of the city.

Nat Geo recently aired a documentary about the Heroin Epidemic in Staten Island (Heroin Island, NYC). I can't believe how common Heroin has become. So sad.

It's crazy how bad the heroin problem on Long Island has become, as well. We've mostly missed the Meth explosion and pretty much eliminated crack but heroin is taking a terrible toll. Kids think it has some cache to it.

As far as rents go, Staten Island isn't Manhattan but the rents are still insanely high compared to almost anywhere else.