• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA from an unknown artist for a minor title?

12 posts in this topic

Just curious as to how most people feel. I collect Spider Man OA, but with prices being what they are I am a very very minor collector.

I know at the end of the day if you like the art, nothing else matters. However, how much does artist and title of the book play into the purchase decision?

Would you buy art from an unknown artist for a fourth tier book? Example a spidey artist that is not well known that did a minor book let's say spiderman 2099 or more minor then that.

Just curious as to how most people feel. I collect Spider Man OA, but with prices being what they are I am a very very minor collector.

I know at the end of the day if you like the art, nothing else matters. However, how much does artist and title of the book play into the purchase decision?

Would you buy art from an unknown artist for a fourth tier book? Example a spidey artist that is not well known that did a minor book let's say spiderman 2099 or more minor then that.

I guess the rule of thumb is "Buy what you love, and you'll never get hurt." So you've got to make yourself happy. You won't go wrong if you really love what you're buying.

However some folks will tell you..."Hey it's Spidey and it's a bargain compared to Ditko or Romita, buy a stack!" That's where you can get into trouble. Buying an off brand, off title, off artist because it seems like a good deal leaves you with nothing to hang your happiness on aside from monetary appreciation. Recipe for disaster in this hobby.

If you spot a piece you like, with characters you like, and at a price that doesn't exceed your enjoyment then you're golden....every time.

As a wise fellow collector who works in the New York Finance industry recently said.. "cheap for a reason?

If you like it, and the "value" or "joy" you get is more than the $20 or $30 you pay for the page, then go for it. If you buy for it because you think you can re-sell for more. Maybe you can, but sometimes it's cheap for a reason.

Unless the auction was really obscure (i.e. not ebay) or in the wrong category, has typos or bad scans, the price you pay is pretty much market.

Malvin

I buy what I like and can afford and that formula has worked well for me. I have a few pieces of art that was really cheap and my guess would be that it hasn't appreciated much but I don't care because it puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. That's what a hobby is all about IMHO.

I am also a character collector. Like you with Spidey, I collect the Hulk and I love finding obscure pieces of art, off title, little known because if the art is good and other collectors are not looking for it = win win for me.

You can go varied routes...

1) Know what you like, and if it's affordable buy it based on passion not investment

2) Know what you like, and if you can't afford it, admire it from afar, or save up for it, but don't "settle" for something you won't appreciate and may later regret.

I think original art is mainly driven by artist, but secondarily by writer/story and characters, so if it's a meaningful story, first appearance or something is remarkable about it, the artist might take a back seat. Generally the sub-par artists do stay undetected, 'tho some artists take about a decade to mature in appreciation. So, it depends on who you define as an "unknown artist" as well.

If I like the art and the story I will get it. Nostaglia drives alot of my collecting. I get alot of obscure and little known artists. I have bought art from new unknown artists. I buy what I like. Artist being popular means nothing.

I have actually been considering this recently as there are a few pages at exceptionally low prices which are a decent fit for me. Minor book, artist who doesn't command big number prices, pages have minor characters on them... And I love the story. Seems like a no brainer, but it's still spending money even if it's in the fun money zone. Do it too often and you will constantly be pushing back any other collecting goals you have which might be a stretch.

Seeing as this hobby can often be an expensive one in some cases it can be better to just stick to the plan and not scratch that itch for a while.

The main thing I'd recommend, as I did enter the hobby with enthusiasm is to practice patience and don't feel like money's burning a hole in your pocket and you buy out of boredom. If a piece is "okay" but the only thing available right now, just wait. Something always comes up.

Yes, buy what you like, but think about if you like a piece or love a piece. Do you want to acknowledge it and admire it from a far, or do you want to own it. Sort of like the difference between dating and marriage.

There will eventually be an "event" where you may want to trade in, cash out or sell your collection, so, at times you should consider that in part of your buying decisions once you are looking either at high ticket items, or the conglomeration of a bunch of little pieces you may later regret having.

I'm finding with most of my peers who've been in the hobby for 10+ years is their tastes have changed and there's been regret with some purchases, which isn't bad at all since nobody owns art forever, so if you enjoy a piece for a decade, grow tired and bored of it, and can find it a happier home and take a small loss, break even or a bit of a gain (or big gain), you've done well.

It depends on how you want to approach the hobby. If you want to look at it as big game hunting and “return on investment” buy the pages that the guys who have been in the hobby for a long time buy or have lots of expendable cash buy. You’ll impress your friends who read comics when they come over and see the cover to ______________ title #1 on your wall. Your wife might think you're strange to buy something from your childhood for that price though. She might divorce you over some of the purchases you make too.

Maybe you want to explore and find art from artist who are new and upcoming. The pages will be cheaper and they might go up in value or maybe they won’t. If you go this route buy what you like and what you’d like to see on the walls of your home.

Lastly, have fun. It is a hobby and should be what YOU want to make out of it.

Great examples LB! I agree wholeheartedly on the Perez page - it is magnificent and you bought very well on that. I also like the early McG page of course.

A lot of collectors sit back and watch for the big ticket items - big name artist, big name title, big story, etc. and like to get into the inevitable bidding war. I have always enjoyed the hunt and chase aspect of any hobby as turning up those diamonds in the rough can be very rewarding.

Buy what you enjoy and like. If that means lesser known or lesser appreciated artists or runs, so be it.

Perfect example, I really like Paul Ryan's FF work from the 1990s. Is it particularly notable run or distinctive work from him? Not really. But its one of the books I read as a kid and it hits that sweet nostalgia spot. Pages are completely reasonable and I feel there's some great examples out there for relatively reasonable prices.

Way I see it, those guys who bought Silver/Bronze age pages back in the 70s and 80s bought them because they really liked them, not because they had a crystal ball and expected prices to appreciate to the heights they're at today.

I consider it a gift that some of the art I enjoy isn't in huge demand. Makes it easier for me to add to my folios.