• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

The key word here is "extensive". The seller has noted that you can't go further than this category, and is pushing the word to its extreme. There should be a new category - "extreme restoration".

Isn't that a TV show on the History Channel? :D

(if not, it should be)

-J.

In my opinion, they lose credibility when they award extensively restored books super high grades and/or allow for such heavily restored books to be graded. Other than that, they would have been a welcome change.

At nearly $30k after just a few hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-33-CBCS-9-4-Restored-WHITE-Pedigree-Single-Highest-Graded-/141860053585?hash=item210784a251:g:KlsAAOSw5IJWezps

Any one have a clue of what FMV on something like this is? (shrug)

-J.

and just so we're clear, it is a 10-day listing. Bidding hit it's current level at day 3-4.

At nearly $30k after just a few hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-33-CBCS-9-4-Restored-WHITE-Pedigree-Single-Highest-Graded-/141860053585?hash=item210784a251:g:KlsAAOSw5IJWezps

Any one have a clue of what FMV on something like this is? (shrug)

-J.

and just so we're clear, it is a 10-day listing. Bidding hit it's current level at day 3-4.

(thumbs u

My mistake. Just assumed it was a standard 7 day listing.

Still at $27k + now though.

But it's seeming like ascertaining an FMV on something like this in advance is next to/impossible.

-J.

The key word here is "extensive". The seller has noted that you can't go further than this category, and is pushing the word to its extreme. There should be a new category - "extreme restoration".

Agreed.

I can't understand why anyone would buy this book knowing the same restorer could take just about any other copy and use his extreme restoration technique to get the same or better grade then this one.

Also, there is something in my gut that says its just wrong to assign these types of grades to books that have basically been largely recreated not just restored.

I've seen low to mid grade Mod/Ext CGC copies go for 12-15k so 27k for a 9.4 Ext will probably have some more road to travel ...

We're these books that could potentially be unrestored - no cover cleaning, interior lightening, staples replaced etc?

Damn nice restoration job IMO. I wonder how much of the cover was replaced tho...Just what exactly does "extensive" mean? 50%? 75%? 30%? Anyway, anyone who is going to spend that much on a restored book should know how to read the label and see what's involved. I see nothing wrong with the label...but of course, I'm not buying a book like that... hm

Reminds me of a song!

Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Oh, you pretty

We love you and our pretty

Loves us too

High, low, anywhere we go

On Chitty Chitty we depend

Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Our fine four fendered friend

Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Our fine four fendered friend

Your sleek as a thorough bred

Your seats are a feather bed

You turn everybody's head today

We'll glide on our motor trip

With pride in our ownership

The envy of all we survey

Oh, Chitty, you Chitty, pretty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you

And Chitty our Chitty, pretty Chitty Bang Bang

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang loves us to

High Chitty, low Chitty

Anywhere we go

On Chitty Chitty we depend

I've seen low to mid grade Mod/Ext CGC copies go for 12-15k so 27k for a 9.4 Ext will probably have some more road to travel ...

Were these books that could potentially be unrestored - no cover cleaning, interior lightening, staples replaced etc?

No, none would be able to revert to blue

No restored book should be able to get a 9.8

I know that restored books are graded based on their apparent grade, aka their visual grade. But knowledge of the restoration should at a minimum count as at least the smallest of defects. A restored 9.6 would still be absurd, but a restored 9.8 is laughable.

This book and the Incredible Hulk are being bid up by the same three bidders. All three have low feedback and %100 bidding activity with only this seller.

I Love Shillers

Ugh. You're right.

This slab, the other restored Voldy slabs this seller has for sale, and that restored showcase 4 in the upcoming CC auction are bona fide embarrassments to that company's reputation. I see these as no different than the early reputation - killing mis-steps of PGX that caused them to lose essentially all credibility as an alternative grading company when they came on the scene. It's easy to see why their slabs are selling at greater and greater discounts at auction.

-J.