• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 or Hulk #1. Better Upgrade?

21 posts in this topic

Seems Hulk 1 has cooled off a bit after the unsustainable run up the last few years, agree with Cane that AF15 is probably more likely to cost you more next year than this year.

AF15 would be my choice as well. Hulk 1 is a great book but Spiderman will most likely continue to dominate the top 10 SA list for a long long while and maybe forever just like Action Comics #1. Hulk 1 is like Detective Comics #27 (but for silver age) and will most likely remain in the #2 top spot on that same top 10 SA list.

If you where talking about buying a CGC 9.2 I would buy the Hulk 1 over the AF15 simply much rarer in high grades and will likely out perform AF15 in those types of high grades in the long term (then again who really knows....Spiderman is so popular it is crazy). But for a mid grade like you are looking for I would buy a AF15 all day every day over Hulk 1.

I think there's more upside in hulk 1 from a financial standpoint. I have a sinking suspicion that Ragnarok will be a de facto prelude to a world war hulk/plant hulk story arc in the MCU. If that turns out to be the case....watch out.

But on the flip side , you'll never go wrong buying the highest possible graded AF 15 that you can afford.

Third point ... how do your current copies look? Maybe a clean and press and re-grade will get you a grade bump on one or both books at a far lesser expense.

Last point ....you already have both and they are both respectable mid-grade copies. Don't drive yourself crazy playing the "upgrade game" at all and put your money towards another big key or two that you don't already own.

-J.

I think there's more upside in hulk 1 from a financial standpoint. I have a sinking suspicion that Ragnarok will be a de facto prelude to a world war hulk/plant hulk story arc in the MCU. If that turns out to be the case....watch out.

But on the flip side , you'll never go wrong buying the highest possible graded AF 15 that you can afford.

Third point ... how do your current copies look? Maybe a clean and press and re-grade will get you a grade bump on one or both books at a far lesser expense.

Last point ....you already have both and they are both respectable mid-grade copies. Don't drive yourself crazy playing the "upgrade game" at all and put your money towards another big key or two that you don't already own.

-J.

:applause:(thumbs u

Both books are going to be more expensive next year than this year. Both books feature characters that will be in movies over the next 3-5 years.

The only major difference is that Hulk 1 has seen a run-up in value recently (who cares why) while AF 15 has been more of a steady climber for quite some time.

My recommendation would be as follows:

- only upgrade a full point or more, half point upgrades are only meaningful once you get into high grades or if there is a large difference in availability (i.e. check the census)

- save up enough to upgrade either one, keep and eye out and pull the trigger on whichever comes first that meets your criteria for the appearance of the book relative to the price you are willing to pay

- do your research and keep a constant eye on market value as it fluctuates month to month in some cases

- watch the auctions, many times there are better deals to be had there then a private deal

- keep in mind if you "play the upgrade game" it is possible you are never satisfied with what you own, it might be worth thinking really hard about what an ideal book would look like to you and then target it versus a specific grade...

Good luck!

Much more than the funds you would get for your 2 books (if not restored). Then finding one that suits for sale is then a major issue as well. No one in the right mind would trade a Action #1 for these 2 books....no insult to your books (I own them myself) but Action #1 is KING in the comic book world and always will be.