• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age CGC 9.2. Is it enough?

153 posts in this topic

ok, 9.4 is in line with my exemplar book, which I'd hesitate to call a 9.4 if i was selling it raw, but i digress...

(I don't have much in the way of high grade slabs -- mostly a bunch of mid-grade GA books and some mid/low grade silvers)

But they are tiny tiny stresses, not big stresses.

This has always been one of my rants, what constitutes "tiny" in CGC's eyes?

Just like Dot, big dot, little dot?

The spine breaks are hard to see in the scan, but there are at least 8 of them that break color.

I bought the book because the QP was tight, but there's no way I would ever grade that book ' NM ' if it were raw.

I can't imagine that CGC would give it a 9.4 again....were I to resubmit it.

I'm very big on 9.2's, and bronze keys are no exception. Strictly in terms of "bang for your buck" 9.2's are the best value out there. I own many 9.2's and many 9.4's, and I can see a difference..... BUT in many cases, that difference does not justify the price gap, at least not for me. And I will take any opportunity to "downgrade" a 9.4 to a 9.2, and get another nice book with the extra cash or even a second 9.2 copy of the same book. When you can get 2 9.2's for the price of 1 9.4, the choice is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

As for bronze non-keys (someone mentioned FF #195), why in the world would you buy graded copies of books like that in the first place?

-well, I agree for the most part that a 9.2 and cash left over is better than a 9.4, especilaly when you cant see more than a hairs difference between them at twice the price. But, down the road, as tons of 9.0s 9.2s and 9.4s come out, the lower the grade, the slower the sell. So paying too much now just might be the only way to ensure getting a higher % of what you paid.... because anything less than a 9.4 just wont sell.

but, then again, there should always be a buyer for every grade at the right price... I try to buy things that I fee confident will be liquid come hell or highwater. Not so easy anymore.

because anything less than a 9.4 just wont sell.

Hanging around these boards, it's easy to forget that there are A LOT of high grade collectors who "settle" for 8.5's, 9.0's and 9.2's, and it isn't just a matter of finances. For the books I buy, I could afford to go for 9.4's, but I just feel that 9.0's and 9.2's are a better value.

I try to buy things that I fee confident will be liquid come hell or highwater.

For keys, there are buyers in all grades. It's the non-key books I wouldn't touch.

"But, down the road, as tons of 9.0s 9.2s and 9.4s come out, the lower the grade, the slower the sell."

Well, putting aside 9.4s and people sending in big keys for slabbing even if they think they'll come back 9.0s, why would tons come out? As people get more savy about what the book will get, or use more pre-screening, I suspect you'll see fewer and fewer slabbed 9.0s and 9.2s on the types of books where that isn't going to help. it doesn't mean they aren't out there raw, but why spend $25+ to get one of these books slabbed?

And I disagree with the notion that there are warehouses of BA 9.4s out there, particularly among pre-76 books. Maybe after 77 when direct distribution led to more people salting away 50-100 copies of each book (mostly Marvels by the way because who would speculate on DC back in the 70s???) there are hoards, but I just don't see these books in vast numbers among the pre-76 books. sure, VF and VF/NM aren't at all uncommon, but I'm talking legit 9.4 or better. The methods of storing comics in the early 70s were lousy and even if you tried to preserve them well, chances are they'd get dinged down to a 9.2 or less.

seriously, just look at Koch's warehouse stock. this is stuff he's literally had in his warehouse sitting for 30 years give or take untouched on his shelves. virtually none of it is NM. he doesn't try calling it NM, usually calling it "Vf/NM"

I am selling some batman's that I thought were going to grade well , then didn't really get the grades I expected. I think until you are very proficient at grading the cgc way, there will always be cgc books that come back 7.0-8.5....

I am selling some batman's that I thought were going to grade well , then didn't really get the grades I expected. I think until you are very proficient at grading the cgc way, there will always be cgc books that come back 7.0-8.5....

Is there any one of us here that didn't experience this on our first few submissions? foreheadslap.gif

right, and I'm betting that fewer and fewer mistakes like this are made

and i'm also betting that people use pre-screening more, which seems to be worth the potential $5 loss if the difference between FMV on a 9.0 and 9.2 or 9.4 is such that you lose money slabbing and getting a 9.0.

personally i'm amazed when people come across some comics and send them in to CGC to slab at $15-30 a pop when they really haven't done the research to confirm that this move makes sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

because anything less than a 9.4 just wont sell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanging around these boards, it's easy to forget that there are A LOT of high grade collectors who "settle" for 8.5's, 9.0's and 9.2's, and it isn't just a matter of finances. For the books I buy, I could afford to go for 9.4's, but I just feel that 9.0's and 9.2's are a better value.

Quote:

I try to buy things that I fee confident will be liquid come hell or highwater.

For keys, there are buyers in all grades. It's the non-key books I wouldn't touch.

There's a big difference between SA and BA when it comes to 9.0. Most SA books can be worth the money to get a graded if they come back 9.0. I would say that probably 90% of BA before 1975 wouldn't be worth the grading fee if the grade CGC 9.0.

That's one of the reasons you will see LOTS on eBay or Heritage of 10-20 early BA books in VF/NM condition. None are worth getting slabbed at this point.

I collect Golden, Silver, and Bronze age books (mostly DC) and I find that 8.5 books from the Silver or Golden eras are much better bargains than 9.0, 9.2, and especially 9.4 books. You get a great-looking book at a comparably bargain rate. Of course, if you're just in it for the investment potential, then I suppose you would want the highest grade you could find. But if you're primarily a collector, then. . . .

Anyway, great post. I enjoyed reading it.

Personally, I don't care if it is a 9.2 or 9.4. It seems pointless to make such a big deal out of so small a difference. I would not pay anymore for a 9.4 than I would a 9.2. I would rather save the extra few hundred dollars and put it to use getting another book I want. I have various requirements for all of my books and runs, but I don't need super-high grade books to make me happy. Seems like a waste of money to me. Heck, I'm happy with my new GSX #1 which is a CGC 7.5. As long as it looks good and there are no major defects I am usually happy.

I've been running across more 9.0 bronze books, that I may decide to make my standard. I haven't set a standard grade as of yet, but the <$100 price makes these very affordable for my budget. Which in turn allows me to buy more. And anyone that says a 9.0 is ugly is crazy.

Personally, I don't care if it is a 9.2 or 9.4. It seems pointless to make such a big deal out of so small a difference. I would not pay anymore for a 9.4 than I would a 9.2. I would rather save the extra few hundred dollars and put it to use getting another book I want. I have various requirements for all of my books and runs, but I don't need super-high grade books to make me happy. Seems like a waste of money to me. Heck, I'm happy with my new GSX #1 which is a CGC 7.5. As long as it looks good and there are no major defects I am usually happy.

That's how I feel as well. thumbsup2.gif I could never justify the price hike between a 9.2 and a 9.4 just to get one or two less spine stresses. That has always seemed silly (and anal) to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been running across more 9.0 bronze books, that I may decide to make my standard. I haven't set a standard grade as of yet, but the <$100 price makes these very affordable for my budget. Which in turn allows me to buy more. And anyone that says a 9.0 is ugly is crazy.

I agree. 9.0's look great to me. Furthermore, not all of us can afford to buy an FF #1 CGC 9.0. I mean, it is silly to think that any of us don't get the best book we can, but for some of us like me it's not always feesable.

That's how I feel as well. thumbsup2.gif I could never justify the price hike between a 9.2 and a 9.4 just to get one or two less spine stresses. That has always seemed silly (and anal) to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, not only that, but a 9.2 can (and often does) look better than a 9.4. I'm sure you've seen it as many times as me. 9.4's can still have faded colors, even while still retaining a 9.4 number. I'd much rather have a bright 9.2 with an extra spine stress or two than a slightly faded cover with no spine stresses. For me the most important thing (other than the obvious book being complete) is the color and brightness of the cover. So, really there are times that people pay more for a 9.4 when in essence it can look worse than a 9.2. 893whatthe.gif

A lot of people in this business don't even really want the books for the art, story or even the cover. A lot of people are just label chasers screwy.gif, and will buy any book as long as it has a nine followed by another number in the grade. I am certainly not like that...and could not afford to be even if I wanted to. smile.gif

Yes, I like that term "label chasers". There are many of those here on these boards. Now let me proclaim, I see nothing wrong with this. BUT, from my point of view that is the anal-retentive nature of many collectors. Many collectors have the need to have their collection (or at least part of their collection) perfect. This search for perfection, such as only 9.6 copies of a certain run, forces them to seek out these certain grades, whether it makes logical sense or not. This does not hurt anybody, and again (to those of you who are) I am stating that this is an OK way to be, but I am certainly glad that personally I have lost the anal retentiveness that used to partially control my collecting habits. Now I can relax, buy this and that, and have more fun without having to feel "incomplete" by not having all the right grades or books necessary in order to feel complete (in my hobby). I know this is psychological stuff, but that is a big part of collecting. It's the psychology, man. crazy.gif

Personally, I think label chasing is screwy.gif not because the collector needing the 9.X copy is anal, but because the differences between grades are completely arbitrary. These people are paying obscene multiples for a "grade" that cannot be quantified or even accurately reproduced by CGC. I laugh at the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who pay 2x the 9.0 price when a book is reslabbed as a 9.2. IT'S THE SAME BOOK! My dad is a long-time baseball card collector and he and I always have a good laugh at the premiums paid for a slabbed copy as opposed to the raw equivalent. I have said before that the multiples generated by HG CGC books are completely unwarranted, and I find it curious that no one has ever challenged me. Perhaps in their hearts these collectors know that the little number on their piece of plastic isn't much besides a fallacious grade consensus that is (currently) borne out by the market.