• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age CGC 9.2. Is it enough?

153 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'm a Bronze Age fan who loves collecting the major and minor keys from this age. My first Bronze Age book was Marvel Two-In-One #1 cgc'ed 9.2. I bought it for such a great price that the grade just kinda stuck in my head and now I have a interesting collection of Bronze Age keys in 9.2's. The reason is (or so I convinced myself) because of pricing. For example, Daredevil #168 in 9.4 can set you back $200-250 bones whereas it's 9.2 counterpart will only cost you $100-135. Huge price difference.

Reading these boards it seems as if the members are saying that Bronze Age books are quite common in 9.4 conditions and anything less is really a waste of time and money. Therefore I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time and money tracking down and buying cheaper 9.2's? When this mythological "great crash" comes, will 9.2 Bronze Age keys be a worthless commodity?

(excuss the spelling)

There is NOTHING wrong with 9.2 books as they are usually beautiful books, with only one or two minor flaws keeping the book from 9.4.

BUT:

If the past trends hold true, higher graded books appreciate the fastest and less graded books someimes stagnate or go down in price.

Whtat some collectors believe is that 9.4 or higher will be considered HG and 9.2 will be a LESSER GRADE (when referring to Bronze-Age books).

I myself don't buy Bronze-Age books in less then 9.4 condition (unless I buy a group of books and there are a few 9.0/9.2 in the group). But that's because the books tend to be in the $20-30 range in that grade, and it's not very comforting knowning that the price of grading the book is more then the actual price of the book.

I collect Batman Bronze. Recently, I've been on the lookout for a graded copy of Batman 227. In 9.2, it lists for $55. But the last 9.2 sale according to GPA was $235, vs. $455 for the same book in 9.4 (one sold for $430 tonight on eBay). Whereas, I would have loved to buy the 9.4, I just can't justify the $430. I think each person's collection is based on what their budget allows. The next guy may scoff at a 9.2, but the price is right for my collection.

However, if a different issue costs $30 in 9.2, and the 9.4 is $75, I may get the 9.4 in that case.

I collect Batman Bronze. Recently, I've been on the lookout for a graded copy of Batman 227. In 9.2, it lists for $55. But the last 9.2 sale according to GPA was $235, vs. $455 for the same book in 9.4 (one sold for $430 tonight on eBay). Whereas, I would have loved to buy the 9.4, I just can't justify the $430. I think each person's collection is based on what their budget allows. The next guy may scoff at a 9.2, but the price is right for my collection.

However, if a different issue costs $30 in 9.2, and the 9.4 is $75, I may get the 9.4 in that case.

What Rob said, there are a few exceptions and for those exceptions I will usually try to buy Raw - but hey I think I'm pretty adept at grading BA in HG so 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

why are you buying these comics?

to show your grandkids or flip?

if they're interchangeable with a share of stock or a certificate of deposit, buy what looks like it will appreciate the most.

of course, that might be a 9.2 if you're getting a deal (e.g., for some reason the market isn't spotting this 9.2) and the 9.4s are priced at a big premium.

or you could become an expert at spotting really fantastic 9.2s and play the resubmit game

I always liked 9.2's as the high point for my graded bronze collection. A lot of them cost over guide value but it wasn't like paying huge multiples for 9.4's and 9.6's. I always thought they looked very nice too, but then again I was never a super high grade junky except when I would maybe buy books off the rack. I'd often be content with 9.0's and early on I thought 8.5's to be quite nice. Of course I never really bought worrying about resale potential. I just bought what I thought was nice and what I found affordable. Of course some may say that I'm BSing by saying I'm ot interested in resale potential but I have sold books for much less than what I paid for them numerous times. If the market crashed and my books became worthless sure I'd be a little pissed but I wouldn't cry about it. I just look at how my friends spent there money. Mostly pot, alcohol, and food. That made them happy but once they consumed them there was no resale potential.

Actually I try and buy mostly 9.6's as what you find is that 9.4's or less will almost never go for less than the cost to have the book slabbed. You are better off spending a few bucks and getting 9.6's or just buying them raw instead of chasing after slabbed 9.2's. Just my two cents.

To answer your question blob, I guess there are for me to hold and cherish and in case I get into a pinch finiciallly, well I can hopefully sell a few and pay that months rent. Also, the 9.2's are all key bronze age books. I realize cgc'ing just any old Bronze Age comic would be ridiculous but having a 9.2 of DD 168...not so bad I'd think. Buying DD 168 raw and "NM" cost $75 and I've almost won a few copies at around $105-110.

But I hear you brother bronze collectors. Perhaps raw IS the way to go. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello Whet:

I am a strong believer in the 9.2 grade for Bronze Age Books. It is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of high grade comic books. I have Bronze Age CGC 9.0s, 9.2s, 9.4s, & 9.6s. When I look carefully at each of these grades, I don't notice great distinctions and I've handled comic books for thirty years. But the prices are amazingly different. If I can buy a CGC 9.2 for a third the price of a CGC 9.4, I will do so w/o any hesitation. I have CGC 9.2s that look just as nice as my CGC 9.4s. The money I save on buying the CGC 9.2 permits me to pursue my other hobbies and interests and further diversify my investment portfolio. When it comes to collecting comic books, I like to apply that old adage- "Whatever floats your boat." After all, your comic book collection (like mine and those of our comic book collecting colleagues) is a composite of amazing art, wonderful stories, and memories of a childhood that once was! Each time we add that book we want or need for our collection is a step closer to finishing our neverending pursuit of perfection.

After all that you've read, what do you now think about Bronze Age CGC 9.2s?

BronzeJohnny

There is always that possibility. I've thought about sending a CGC 9.0 back for regrading, particularly when the grader told me there were fingerprints on the back of the book. Otherwise, the book is nicer than some 9.2s that I have.

I think I'll stick to 9.2's and if I'm really lucky, 9.4's. Otherwise it sounds like I should take a chance with raw books from a trustworthy dealer or eBayer with good FB + a spot of luck if I hope to snag anything higher and within my budget. thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a winning formula to me. Especially the stay within the budget part. There's a helluva lot more to spend or invest on in life than just comic books. So I have that CGC 9.2 Green Lantern 76- and it's only a 9.2 as some collectors who only think 9.4 or above is high grade for Bronze. But I am willing to bet you that some of those same collectors who don't have the book would be more than willing to add it to there collections.

So much for the 9.2.

unfortunately, right now at least, the people driving prices don't care if there often is no real difference between the 9.2 and 9.4 -- the piece of paper in the plastic tells them that one is worth 300-500% more than the other

i suppose the 9.6 and 9.8 collectors can always feel comfortable that their 9.6 would never be mistaken for a mere 9.2!

honestly, this is one of the joys of GA collecting . I have Fines that are the highest grade of certain books in the CGC census.

I just look at how my friends spent there money. Mostly pot, alcohol, and food. That made them happy but once they consumed them there was no resale potential.

I dunno... isn't there some money to be made in the black market for organ donation?

confused-smiley-013.gif

"as what you find is that 9.4's or less will almost never go for less than the cost to have the book slabbed"

do you mean "go for more than"?

What I mean is that you a 9.2 or 9.4 copy of let's say FF#195 will almost never go for much less than $20 because of the sunk costs associated with having them slabbed so your better off just buying a 9.6 copy for $30-$40. For most books at the end of the BA era I think this would be the case. Early BA books maybe not but I don't think the market for BA in 9.2's is that great (or ever will be for a long, long time) unless it is a key. confused-smiley-013.gif