• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age CGC 9.2. Is it enough?

153 posts in this topic

Collecting slabs numbers isn't collecting comics anymore. It's collecting someone else's opinion of a comic. The comic has become secondary to the label. That's not comic collecting. It's collecting manufactured collectibles and you've been sucked in to the hype. Might as well start collecting the same satin bedsheets from Saks and K-Mart. Both serve the same purpose...the only difference is you can't brag about the sheet label from K-Mart...

So many points to address, so little time.

1) The comic is NOT secondary to the Label. I collect the books I WANT, in the MINIMUM GRADE that I want and I use CGC to tell me THEIR OPINION of the GRADE. This way, I'm usually not dissappointed, and when it comes time to sell (if need be), I can sell EXACTLY what I bought (not something less then I bought).

2) Picking a minimum grade like 9.0 is like saying I will only buy VF/NM from CBG 10 years ago. EVERY High Grade collector has minimum grades, at least in their mind. Do I bend that grade if the need arises, absolutely. BUT I HAVE TO DEFINE HIGH GRADE, to myself, or I would be buying every book that I want when it's priced reasonably and then I wouldn't be a HG COLLECTOR.

Nuff said for now. grin.gif

Which is all fine, but sometimes your opinion comes across as being that all of us other blokes that don't collect 9.2 or above (or whatever) are just collecting worthless junk.

... which we may be.

However, it can be just as much of an adventure to find what we like for prices we can afford as it can be to find the HG stuff.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I agree. I get very tired of hearing "collecting anything other that HG isn't a challenge and isn't worth my time". Very tired. I set strict budget restrictions on myself and, wanting the books I want, finding certain comics can be a huge challenge. Ever try finding a Spotlight 2 in true VF or better for under $30? I can almost guarantee you that it is just as hard to do as getting a slabbed TOS in 9.4. There is nothing intrinsically better or harder in setting a grade limit as opposed to a price limit. (Unless you are dealing with ultra-HG GA, which can be impossible no matter what your bankroll is).

Ever try finding a Spotlight 2 in true VF or better for under $30? I can almost guarantee you that it is harder to do than getting a slabbed TOS in 9.4. There is nothing intrinsically better or harder in setting a grade limit as opposed to a price limit. (Unless you are dealing with ultra-HG GA, which can be impossible no matter what your bankroll is).

Good point, and this is exactly what I do, at conventions anyway. Seek out really nice books in whatever grade at a great price. I recently bought a Weird War Tales #1 in VF- for $42. That may not be a rare grade, but that is a rare price for that grade. I was thrilled. I once found a Marvel Spotlight #2 in VF/NM for $25 in a half off box maybe a year ago. Yup, excited as hell about that too. Seeking out the good deals, regardless of grade, now THAT is the fun (and rewarding) stuff. thumbsup2.gif

Ever try finding a Spotlight 2 in true VF or better for under $30? I can almost guarantee you that it is harder to do than getting a slabbed TOS in 9.4. There is nothing intrinsically better or harder in setting a grade limit as opposed to a price limit. (Unless you are dealing with ultra-HG GA, which can be impossible no matter what your bankroll is).

Good point, and this is exactly what I do, at conventions anyway. Seek out really nice books in whatever grade at a great price. I recently bought a Weird War Tales #1 in VF- for $42. That may not be a rare grade, but that is a rare price for that grade. I was thrilled. I once found a Marvel Spotlight #2 in VF/NM for $25 in a half off box maybe a year ago. Yup, excited as hell about that too. Seeking out the good deals, regardless of grade, now THAT is the fun (and rewarding) stuff. thumbsup2.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif You are killing me here Bass. Please tell me you didn't buy that WW 1 off ebay about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Small scan, impossible to tell the condition, a few defects listed? It was a VF (the seller sent me a larger scan), but I could not get my snipe in fast enough and I lost it. Ended at around $35 or $40.

So you guys don't really collect comic books then, you collect good deals on comic books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding...to each his own, and it's just as bad for the non-high grade collectors to tell the high-grade collectors they're dumb for collecting high-grade books as it is for the high-grade collectors to tell the non-high grade collectors they're stupid for collecting non-high grade books.

Who knows what this is? Appro I believe...

bttlfld.jpg

So you guys don't really collect comic books then, you collect good deals on comic books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just kidding...to each his own, and it's just as bad for the non-high grade collectors to tell the high-grade collectors they're dumb for collecting high-grade books as it is for the high-grade collectors to tell the non-high grade collectors they're stupid for collecting non-high grade books.

bttlfld.jpg

The In-Betweener? confused-smiley-013.gif

bttlfld.jpg

893naughty-thumb.gif

bttlfld.jpg

893naughty-thumb.gif

sumo.gif

bttlfld.jpg

320x240.jpg

"Isn't it obvious? High grade collecting is the one 'true collecting'. Only rare HG comics are worth buying."

"No! Collecting is only about the comics, not the grade! Only we the faithful non-high grade collectors belong in the hobby."

893blahblah.gif

Collect what you want and don't pizz on anyone else's brand of collecting. Collecting should be about enjoyment. Pointless arguing is...... well, pointless.

tongue.gif

So you guys don't really collect comic books then, you collect good deals on comic books?

Well said. thumbsup2.gif

To finalize a point on 9.2's and 9.4's, having a huge difference in price, for just a small physical difference let me say this:

1) This is not unique to comic books or just collectibles. I can think of lots of goods where it cost a whole lot more to get just a little bit of extra quality. When I was buying music gear and needed a multi-track recorded, one was priced at $2,000 and one was at $8,000. I ask the salesperson the difference and he said the $8,000 unit had about 10% better quality. confused.gif

2) While CGC grades are still somewhat subjective, they ARE NOT ARBITRARY. In other words, a sample of 9.4 books should in fact be better then 9.2 books. I am not so much a "label whore" that I would sell a 9.2 book and keep a 9.4 book if I didn't feel that the 9.4 was better. I do know people who will resubmit 9.2 books (because they feel it's a 9.4) and sell it if it doesn't come back 9.4, and while I find this somewhat odd, I do understand it, and that's their own business.

This is not unique to comic books or just collectibles. I can think of lots of goods where it cost a whole lot more to get just a little bit of extra quality. When I was buying music gear and needed a multi-track recorded, one was priced at $2,000 and one was at $8,000. I ask the salesperson the difference and he said the $8,000 unit had about 10% better quality. confused.gif

OT, but in THAT example, a skilled engineer or producer can do alot better than add 10% quality with the cheaper equipment than a less skilled operator with the higher quality equipment. I'll take high end talent and mediocre equipment any day over mediocre talent and high end equipment. But for the same guy with the same equipment, geez, 10% 'aint worth that much considering everything else you could do with that extra six grand to help out your recording project.

This is not unique to comic books or just collectibles. I can think of lots of goods where it cost a whole lot more to get just a little bit of extra quality. When I was buying music gear and needed a multi-track recorded, one was priced at $2,000 and one was at $8,000. I ask the salesperson the difference and he said the $8,000 unit had about 10% better quality. confused.gif

OT, but in THAT example, a skilled engineer or producer can do alot better than add 10% quality with the cheaper equipment than a less skilled operator with the higher quality equipment. I'll take high end talent and mediocre equipment any day over mediocre talent and high end equipment. But for the same guy with the same equipment, geez, 10% 'aint worth that much considering everything else you could do with that extra six grand to help out your recording project.

Back when CD players first came out, the offerings were 1x oversampling, 2x, 4x, and 16x. Now, my wife and I heard the difference between 1x/2x and 4x very easily, but could barely discern between 4x and 16x (and she has a great ear). So, we payed the extra $100 for the 4x but couldn't see paying the extra $350 for the 16x.

Of course, when that first player went south, 16x was the new standard. So, I guess my desire to sit on the trailing edge of technology has translated into how I go about collecting comics.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not unique to comic books or just collectibles. I can think of lots of goods where it cost a whole lot more to get just a little bit of extra quality. When I was buying music gear and needed a multi-track recorded, one was priced at $2,000 and one was at $8,000. I ask the salesperson the difference and he said the $8,000 unit had about 10% better quality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Except - And this applies to all goods:

When you are promoting your services and products, having the top rated equipment is a SELLING POINT.

Just like in comics, having the 9.4 on label DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE to some/

Back when CD players first came out, the offerings were 1x oversampling, 2x, 4x, and 16x. Now, my wife and I heard the difference between 1x/2x and 4x very easily, but could barely discern between 4x and 16x (and she has a great ear). So, we payed the extra $100 for the 4x but couldn't see paying the extra $350 for the 16x.

Of course, when that first player went south, 16x was the new standard. So, I guess my desire to sit on the trailing edge of technology has translated into how I go about collecting comics.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Isn't there a similar analogy about cameras? I'm no photographer but I talked to someone who is and he said (I think it was at 5 megapixels) that after a certain amount the human eye cannot perceive the extra quality of even more megapixels. Of course not counting exceptions where a photo is blown up into a 2x3 foot poster. This is apples and oranges with comics I realize, and nothing wrong with the extra quality (higher grade) but is it really worth it for that extra bit of quality? To some I guess it is, and that is cool. But is that extra little nudge of quality worth more than what else could be had with the difference in price? I guess if it wasn't there would not be such huge spreads. As always, to each his own. I like 8.5s but I think 5.0s are ugly. 5.0s may be just what many others think offer the most bang for your buck. Hey, it's all cool.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Isn't there a similar analogy about cameras? I'm no photographer but I talked to someone who is and he said (I think it was at 5 megapixels) that after a certain amount the human eye cannot perceive the extra quality of even more megapixels. Of course not counting exceptions where a photo is blown up into a 2x3 foot poster. This is apples and oranges with comics I realize, and nothing wrong with the extra quality (higher grade) but is it really worth it for that extra bit of quality? To some I guess it is, and that is cool. But is that extra little nudge of quality worth more than what else could be had with the difference in price? I guess if it wasn't there would not be such huge spreads. As always, to each his own. I like 8.5s but I think 5.0s are ugly. 5.0s may be just what many others think offer the most bang for your buck. Hey, it's all cool.

Well, computers have long surpassed the average user's ability to notice any performance difference. Sure, we programmers can notice gains in building large projects, but sub-second saves of Word/Excel documents are still sub-second saves.

I agree that folks have the right to spend their money as they see fit... it is not my place to judge. I just don't like someone telling me that my goals/dreams/quests really aren't all that.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well, computers have long surpassed the average user's ability to notice any performance difference.

Shh...as an Intel employee, my bread and butter is affected by statements like that. You need hyperthreading. I repeat, you need hyperthreading. thumbsup2.gif

Well, computers have long surpassed the average user's ability to notice any performance difference.

Shh...as an Intel employee, my bread and butter is affected by statements like that. You need hyperthreading. I repeat, you need hyperthreading. thumbsup2.gif

Well, as a programmer, I know I do (at least that is what I tell my boss when I beg for a new system)! thumbsup2.gif