• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age CGC 9.2. Is it enough?

153 posts in this topic

Oct, you and I seem to think alike on this. That is why I always say, buy raw and sell slabbed. I'm VERY happy (as a small dealer) that the label chasers are out there. To each his own, but for me personally I could care less about slabs other than to own a few for display purposes (they just look more official or nostalgic in a slab). But I love to sell them, that's for sure. I have about 20 that I keep for display purposes but the grades on them are of little significance (9.0, 9.8, whatever.... they all look great above 8.0 anyway).

Oct, you and I seem to think alike on this. That is why I always say, buy raw and sell slabbed. I'm VERY happy (as a small dealer) that the label chasers are out there. To each his own, but for me personally I could care less about slabs other than to own a few for display purposes (they just look more official or nostalgic in a slab). But I love to sell them, that's for sure. I have about 20 that I keep for display purposes but the grades on them are of little significance (9.0, 9.8, whatever.... they all look great above 8.0 anyway).

Yeah, I hear that. If I had HG raw that I was looking to sell I would slab like crazy, hoping the bubble wouldn't burst while I was left holding the bag. Couldn't agree more about 8.0 and above all looking good, I keep my hopes up every day that you and I will stay in the minority and that 8.0 will continue to be such a bargain.

I agree with you two. I have some great looking 8.5's that got that grade because one corner got blunted. Still a great looking comic IMO. No, it's not perfect, but I can live with 1 blunted corner for a $300 discount.

Personally, I think label chasing is screwy.gif not because the collector needing the 9.X copy is anal, but because the differences between grades are completely arbitrary.

People that chase labels aren't collecting comics anymore but rather are collecting CGC slabs. They are chasing a number. The "I'm only collecting a 9.X run on a title" crowd should stop deluding themselves and stop calling themselves "comic" collectors. "Label Whores" is a more apt description.

Jim

Personally, I think label chasing is screwy.gif not because the collector needing the 9.X copy is anal, but because the differences between grades are completely arbitrary.

People that chase labels aren't collecting comics anymore but rather are collecting CGC slabs. They are chasing a number. The "I'm only collecting a 9.X run on a title" crowd should stop deluding themselves and stop calling themselves "comic" collectors. "Label Whores" is a more apt description.

Jim

sorry.gif

Funny thing, Paul Litch told me about that same book at the last Wondercon Forum dinner and then I bought one the next day. If I can remember correctly it is about VF-, still looked very nice and came quite cheap. I just put a $66.00 bid on this one. Add the shipping and you get guide of $74. There is no way that I'd pay a premium 'cuz it's in a slab. I like the cover on this book. Sexy stuff. I'm sure I'll be outbid so I don't mind stating my bid.

Funny thing, Paul Litch told me about that same book at the last Wondercon Forum dinner and then I bought one the next day. If I can remember correctly it is about VF-, still looked very nice and came quite cheap. I just put a $66.00 bid on this one. Add the shipping and you get guide of $74. There is no way that I'd pay a premium 'cuz it's in a slab. I like the cover on this book. Sexy stuff. I'm sure I'll be outbid so I don't mind stating my bid.

Not so sure. The GPA average is less than $60. Hope no reads this and bumps you up to $66.

Not so sure. The GPA average is less than $60. Hope no reads this and bumps you up to $66.

Yeah, I generally keep the auctions I am interested in under wraps. Good luck on that one, it is a sharp copy. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I had never seen that cover before (I generally stick to Tec 390 and later), pretty cool though.

Well, who knows? Guide value is cool with me. Thanks for pointing it out, hope you weren't gonna try to win it as well. I had forgotten about that book since I bought that one copy, but I like the cheesecake appeal with the Batgirl stalking thing. And 9.0 is right in my range. This is the type of book I'd buy to keep just since I like the cover. Not looking at it as a flip, obviously. If I was buying it as a flip I'd only buy raw and wouldn't pay over half guide for it at most.

And 9.0 is right in my range. This is the type of book I'd buy to keep just since I like the cover. Not looking at it as a flip, obviously. If I was buying it as a flip I'd only buy raw and wouldn't pay over half guide for it at most.

Do you manage to find a lot of early BA and late SA books in 8.5 and better for around 50% guide? I have had a lot of luck getting stuff in the 7.0-8.0 range for half or less, but higher grade are not a very common event in that price range. I know you buy lots on ebay, have you had good luck with them?

And 9.0 is right in my range. This is the type of book I'd buy to keep just since I like the cover. Not looking at it as a flip, obviously. If I was buying it as a flip I'd only buy raw and wouldn't pay over half guide for it at most.

Do you manage to find a lot of early BA and late SA books in 8.5 and better for around 50% guide? I have had a lot of luck getting stuff in the 7.0-8.0 range for half or less, but higher grade are not a very common event in that price range. I know you buy lots on ebay, have you had good luck with them?

Until recently I did buy alot of lots on Ebay, mostly all BA DC horror but plenty of WBN and TOD lots as well. Maybe 12-15 lots of about 20-60 books each. I spent alot and amassed quite the inventory. Mostly in the VF- to VF/NM range but some that are better. The ones in 7.0 or less I resold cheaply as lots already but have the rest. I haven't purchased any Silver lots and never buy individual books on Ebay, so this bid on the Detective is unusual for me (I just like the cover). The lots that I have bought were very cheap. I never added up the total guide values, but I'd say I never paid more than 25% guide. And being upper mid-range I don't necessarily expect to sell them for guide either but I know that after holding them for a while, then selling them off individually I'll do fine. I'm not trying to be some savvy businessman, just having fun with some cool books and hoping to make a few extra bucks while I'm doing it. I buy my better stuff (and CGC candidates) at conventions.

Until recently I did buy alot of lots on Ebay, mostly all BA DC horror but plenty of WBN and TOD lots as well. Maybe 12-15 lots of about 20-60 books each. I spent alot and amassed quite the inventory. Mostly in the VF- to VF/NM range but some that are better. The ones in 7.0 or less I resold cheaply as lots already but have the rest. I haven't purchased any Silver lots and never buy individual books on Ebay, so this bid on the Detective is unusual for me (I just like the cover). The lots that I have bought were very cheap. I never added up the total guide values, but I'd say I never paid more than 25% guide. And being upper mid-range I don't necessarily expect to sell them for guide either but I know that after holding them for a while, then selling them off individually I'll do fine. I'm not trying to be some savvy businessman, just having fun with some cool books and hoping to make a few extra bucks while I'm doing it. I buy my better stuff (and CGC candidates) at conventions.

Sounds like you have done really well on ebay. I might have to try your system. grin.gif I myself buy single books almost exclusively and generally pay 25-60% of guide. I am extremely careful what I bid on and generally, out the auctions for similar issues, I have paid the least. I have decent restraint when it come to shying away from a book that is getting too pricey, so I end up bidding a lot, but winning only a few.

(BTW: let me know when you start selling off your stuff in the 8.0 and better range gossip.gif)

Sounds like you have done really well on ebay. I might have to try your system. grin.gif I myself buy single books almost exclusively and generally pay 25-60% of guide. I am extremely careful what I bid on and generally, out the auctions for similar issues, I have paid the least. I have decent restraint when it come to shying away from a book that is getting too pricey, so I end up bidding a lot, but winning only a few.

Buying singles is a good thing when you are looking for specific issues but since I am really just buying "inventory" and not really buying anything expensive, the lots make the best sense for me. Usually lots come at a huge discount because not many people want all the issues in a lot that they don't need. But sometimes the right few bidders come along and the lot goes into the stratosphere. I've been very surprised at what I have and have not won with lots. I've also hit the jackpot as well as the crapp-pot with them too. I need a little bit more of your restraint. Sometimes near the end I have thrown my limits out the door and went into competitive mode where I need to win. But I try not to let that happen much as it may turn a profitable purchase into a losing one. foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, I would like to hear as well. Bass, you were the one who ended up winning those lots from "cards and comics" didn't you? I remember wanting to bid on those but not having the money.

Well, since I'm just doing this for fun I haven't treated these lots as somebody really in business would. I just buy them, take out the crapp to resell immediately, and the ones that pass my muster get filed away with the rest of my inventory for eventual resell. I've never just taken an entire lot, split it up and turned right around and resold it. It just all gets piled together. But take a lot that I bought from cards-n-comics since you brought them up. This Ebay dealer has been BY FAR my best resource ever but I am pretty sure his bronze inventory is now gone. He consistently UNDERgrades usually two grades down, and sometimes three. My best lot that I purchased from this guy was a complete TOD set for $300 including Giants. His #1 VF+ turned into a CGC 9.2 and several other VF/NM or NM- turned into CGC 9.4s and 9.6s. I can KICK myself in the head three times as I bought a Bronze Batman lot from him with a #227 that he graded at VF- that I know was a VF+ or VF/NM but I stupidly sold it recently at a convention for about $75. I bought four or five Bronze Horror DC lots from them as well that were also very cheap and very undergraded.

But don't let this fool ya'. I've been burned too. Lots are a crappshoot. Sellers often overgrade or average on the high side. But overall I have had tremendous luck with them and my average prices fall well below if I had bought them all individually. Horror lots are more expensive than they used to be as well. To really profit on a lot the best way is to find a large set of books that are not currently hot but stable all around sellers. Then split off the best ones to sell individually and the rest in small groups of five or so. I used to do this all the time with Uncanny X-Men and ASM and it worked pretty well.

Don't worry about competing with me on lots now though since I bought soooo much over the last few years that I am in sell mode only and not buying any more for now, except for conventions. But I'm still not ready to sell my horror yet other than some slabs I'll list on Ebay later today. Right now I'm still in the process of selling my old ASM and Uncanny. Later this year I'll get to the BA horror and should be able to fill some holes for you guys looking for 7.0 to 9.2 books.

hey jason, how is business? i see you've gone mainly to store items. slow dime over quick nickle? (and i don't mean that in a bad way... i see you had one item up for like a year or two in your store for like $55 and it sold recently. better to spend 50 cents on two years of store listings and get your $55 price than to blow it out at $9.99.)