• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode VIII December 15, 2017
4 4

1,797 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So back to my conclusion again.

If you are not a die hard Star Wars fans you will love this movie, but if you are a die hard Star Wars fan you will hate it.

So no 'if you went to see a well done movie without any allegiance to the new guard or the old guard - but targeting the Star Wars franchise as a whole' option? It feels like the assumption is because Luke was not the only hero people are disappointed.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I seen this picture with 5 other people. All 5 people were between the ages of 20-30. Everyone of them loved it and they want to see the next one.

Hide contents

Let's face it Luke is gone and the fanbase is hurt. No one wants to see one of their icons put out to the pasteur. I was sad as well,but I realize it is time to let go of the old Star Wars so the new Star Wars can exist. The new young crowd now will have their Star Wars like we did.  It is also a smart business move for Disney. Always look for the 18-34 demographic for relatibilty for future sales.  If Disney sticks to trying to appease the 50 year old crowd than Star Wars the franchise will age like it's die hard 50 year old fanbase and die out. They need to continue to have their future movies aimed at a younger demographic just like Spider-Man Homecoming did.

So back to my conclusion again.

If you are not a die hard Star Wars fans you will love this movie, but if you are a die hard Star Wars fan you will hate it.

You are generally correct. However, I think a good movie that honors the past, while making way for new characters would have wildly more successful for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wait - what?

Luke was a steady, steadfast character throughtout the overall franchise?

Have you re-watched the OT lately?

In Star Wars, he was a whiny, immature brat.

In Empire he was still so immature that he disregarded Yoda and ran off to try (and fail) to rescue his friends, rather than complete his training -- and made himself that much more susceptible to manipulation by Vader and the Dark Side of the Force.

The only time Luke was even close to "steady" was in Jedi.

Again - this movie was just as much about failure as was Empire. But here, everyone failed individually. 

- Luke failed Kylo.

- Rey failed to convert Kylo.

- Finn and Rose's plan to save the fleet failed.

- Poe's mutiny failed.

- Admiral Holdo's original plan for the fleet to escape failed.

- Even Finn's attempted suicidal sacrifice failed.

The *only* overt successes were Luke's sacrifice to buy the remaining resistance time to escape (which was far more "epic" and useful than Obi-Wan Kenobi's sacrifice to allow Luke+Leia a bit more time to escape in Star Wars) and Rey's deus ex machina appearance to telepathically remove the rocks.

I very much have watched the original films. As have others that have tried to reason with your logic.

Over those three films, Luke became the strong hero the Rebel Alliance needed. And once established as honoring life and freedom, he became that ideal all others cherished. He wouldn't go turn his back on all he had learned over time, including destroying the learnings of the Jedi Order.

16 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

You are generally correct. However, I think a good movie that honors the past, while making way for new characters would have wildly more successful for everyone. 

This is going to happen a lot as we age. These big studios are going to target the younger audience and not try to appease us 40 something plus year olds. You can't blame them from a business perspective .

Spoiler

I truly felt sad the way Luke threw the saber away, but I knew that was a symbolic moment that the torch was being passed to the younger generation of Star Wars fans. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Hide contents

I trully felt sad the way Luke threw the saber away, but I knew that was a symbolic moment that the torch was being passed to the younger generation. 

I guess that is a form of 'passing the torch'.

BatonTwirler.gif

"Where did you find that baton your dancing around with?"

"On the ground. So I assumed it was for me. It felt so officially handed off."

:baiting:

This is going to happen a lot as we age. These big studios are going to target the younger audience and not try to appease us 40 something plus year olds. You can't blame them from a business perspective .

Reveal hidden contents

I trully felt sad the way Luke threw the saber away, but I knew that was a symbolic moment that the torch was being passed to the younger generation. 

Disney would have ended up pocketing an additional $200-$500 million with a good movie that appeased the older fans.  So, I do blame them from a business perspective (as well as a personal one).

5 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Disney would have ended up pocketing an additional $200-$500 million with a good movie that appeased the older fans.  So, I do blame them from a business perspective (as well as a personal one).

Spoiler

I think it is the shock of Luke dying really. Didn't matter how he died,but by him dying that showed a lot of die hards maybe their Star Wars is over. That is pretty powerful stuff.  Luke is an icon to so many people. He was that young farmboy who became a Jedi. 

Spoiler

Now I do have a positive thought for Star Wars die harders. What if Luke didn't die and will be back in the next Star Wars film? Could be an elaborate ruse like at the end of Star Trek 2 when Spock died. If this is true than The Last Jedi would than be considered brillant. hm

36 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

He wouldn't go turn his back on all he had learned over time, including destroying the learnings of the Jedi Order.

I hear you, but a factual correction.

Just like he didn't actually strike down Kylo at his bedside, he didn't destroy the learnings of the Jedi Order.

In both cases he was tempted, but restrained himself before acting.

Yoda destroyed the Jedi temple.

And Yoda did so knowing Rey already had the original Jedi texts -- they're shown later aboard the Falcon.

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think it is the shock of Luke dying really. Didn't matter how he died,but by him dying that showed a lot of die hards maybe their Star Wars is over. That is pretty powerful stuff.  Luke is an icon to so many people. He was that young farmboy who became a Jedi. 

Reveal hidden contents

Now I do have a positive thought for Star Wars die harders. What if Luke didn't die and will be back in the next Star Wars film? Could be an elaborate ruse like at the end of Star Trek 2 when Spock died. If this is true than The Last Jedi would than be considered brillant. hm

Did you read where I already noted it wasn't about Luke dying? Are you just going to keep stating the same thing repeatedly as the real reason so many are disappointed?

It's not the death in itself. It is how the death was played out - which relates even to Mr. Werner_Von_Doom's ( lol I only laugh when we have to refer to each other's handle) point.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I hear you, but a factual correction.

Just like he didn't actually strike down Kylo at his bedside, he didn't destroy the learnings of the Jedi Order.

In both cases he was tempted, but restrained himself before acting.

Yoda destroyed the Jedi temple.

And Yoda did so knowing Rey already had the original Jedi texts -- they're shown later aboard the Falcon.

But even to show his soul was such he was tempted to kill someone as a course of action that at that point was an innocent in-transition, or destroying the Jedi Order references as if to write them off.

That's part of the character backstory that makes Luke so respected.

52 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Did you read where I already noted it wasn't about Luke dying? Are you just going to keep stating the same thing repeatedly as the real reason so many are disappointed?

It's not the death in itself. It is how the death was played out - which relates even to Mr. Werner_Von_Doom's ( lol I only laugh when we have to refer to each other's handle) point.

Spoiler

I think it is.It didn't matter how Luke died. People don't want to let go.

An example is if Luke doesn`'t die than people are loving this movie. He died so people are in kind of shock as it is painful to see a childhood icon die.

Reveal hidden contents

I think it is.It didn't matter how Luke died. People don't want to let go.

An example is if Luke doesn`'t die than people are loving this movie. He died so people are in kind of shock as it is painful to see a childhood icon die.

I'm one of those feeling the movie did not meet my expectations, which you are not. So that is why I was sharing the opposing view, because it comes from someone on the other side of your assumption.

Spoiler

AGAIN, it is not about Luke dying. It is how he died, and how his character was portrayed leading up to that final event.

So saying otherwise when you are not part of those not feeling satisfied, you could be ignoring the reality we share. That's why I shared my thoughts. And nowhere did I ever state the problem was Luke died.

Now do you see what I am sharing with you?

:foryou:

Anyone catch this news today? Movie-goers were demanding their money back at certain theaters because they assumed it was a flawed digital copy.

Epic STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Scene Causes Movie Theater To Issue Warning To Guests

uYp5KAe.png

The notice, shared on social media, reads: "Please Note: The Last Jedi contains  a sequence at approximately 1 hour and 52 minutes into the movie in which ALL sound stops for about 10 full seconds,” reads an AMC note to moviegoers that was posted on Facebook by Paul Scheer, among others. “While the images continue to play on the screen you will hear nothing. This is intentionally done by the director for a creative effect.”

Speaking to Collider, Morris said of the sequence, "We had always hoped that would resonate, both as a story beat and as a striking visual, and when I heard all of the cries and gasps in the silence, it was just fantastic. We realized that it worked. That’s never really happened in Star Wars before."

"On a creative and slightly technical level, it was based on physics photography of cloud chambers and high speed particles colliding with each other," he explained. "We always talked about how this look would happen, where we’d drain all of the color out of the image. I think it shows strength, if you invert your normal concept of what space shots in Star Wars look like, with a white ship on a black background. For that sequence, you turn it on its head and you’ve got a black ship with white space. That was a huge visual effect."

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's not true unless you brought back mailable samplers, and distributed them appropriately.

:banana:

At $9 a beer, could have bought a 6-pack and sent out samples....  :insane:

-bc

17 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Steady, Steadfast, Consistent, True to his moral Compass.

Luke in Star Wars...Whiny Brat who joins the rebellion in an instant to save a Princess he's never met, to join an attack on the Deathstar with people he doesn't even know yet.

Luke in ESB....immature, impetuous, reckless, leaping instantly to save his friends, when he realizes he's facing almost impossible odds with incomplete training, that could mean his death.

Luke in Jedi...massively overconfident in his skills in the beginning, but still takes on overwhelming odds to again, save his friends from certain death and in the end, willing to sacrifice himself to save his father because he saw a the slightest glimmer of good inside a mass-murderer of women, children, innocents....entire planets. 

Luke in TLJ....what? The Rebellion is about to be crushed? My sister is in mortal danger? She's sent you to bring me back because she needs me NOW? And it's one of my students that's their greatest threat, who fell to the dark side, and then killed one of my best friends in the process? 

Naw....imma sit here and drink some mystery milk from this lactating alien sea cow and snarl at you while tossing aside my father's Jedi lightsaber which is nothing short of a symbol of his redemption to the light and the result of one of my several self-sacrificing actions taken over the course of my adult life. 

The inconsistency comes in the form of Rian Johnson's fever-dream that he thinks is him understanding Luke, when he clearly lacks the first clue. 

Thats a 9.8 WP caliber review right there, no press needed.