• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1966!

262 posts in this topic

Bought at the drugstore....

Another one bought at the drugstore.

I'm just glad they only cost me 12 cents each

Nicely done! I wish I could find forgotten comics from 1966 at my local drugstore but they all seem to have been returned to the distributor,

:(

So Tricolor-B,how did you store those DCs over all those years??? Really beautiful books!

Thanks. The Actions and Adventures were stored better than the Batmans and Detectives. I put them in thick produce plastic bags (about 5 comics per bag) from Safeway (next door to the drugstore) and evidently they preserved pretty good. Around 1980 I put them all in comic bags with boards, then about 15 years ago I put them in mylars. I have always tried to keep them cool, but that hasn't always been possible.

Another from the you know what...drugstore next to my house in 1966.

Wow, original owner! Beautifully done!

So:

1. In what locale was this drug store?

2. Is the drug store still there?

3. Did it have a lunch counter or soda fountain?

4. Was it a mom and pop independent or was it part of a chain?

5. Were you exposed to comic fanzines at the time? What prompted you to take unusual steps for the time to preserve your comics?

???

Drugstore was located in the Oak Knolls shopping center in Santa Maria, CA.

I don't think it is still there. There is a chain drugstore now where the Safeway used to be.

No lunch counter. The shopping center was built in 1963.

It was an independent owner store. Affiliated with Rexall.

I was not exposed to fanzines, but had recently discovered Cherokee bookshop in Hollywood and was buying golden age comics there. They would give me a bag for each comic, so I got the idea from them.

167s10z.jpg

Of course, I don't live there anymore... :D