• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cockrum X-Men #112 Cover Prelim

25 posts in this topic

Did anyone on this board just win this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Cockrum-Marvel-Comics-Group-Sketch-Pictures-Print-/262211773218

If so, I'd be very curious to know when it arrives if the cover prelim is truly original art or not. I was considering getting this, but I couldn't tell if it was a Xerox or not, and I've gotten burned before.

The Wolverine sketch looks like a print to me, but the cover prelim looks like it could be original, although I'd expect to see more visible blue pencil.

Here are a few Cockrum prelims in my collection for reference:

http://www.comicsfun.com/comicsart/cockrum/PowerMan57_Prelim

http://www.comicsfun.com/comicsart/cockrum/Defenders63_Prelim

Regards,

Ted

They're the old sell prints and act clueless and hope for a big bidder deal.

agreed, this appears to be the 'feigning ignorance' sales strategy in full effect - it just takes a couple people gambling to move up the price.

That's probably the case, but you never know. This seller doesn't seem to deal in comic art a lot, so it's possible he's not sure what he has here. Hopefully we'll find out eventually. Maybe this will turn up on comicartfans one of these days.

Regards,

Ted

That's probably the case, but you never know. This seller doesn't seem to deal in comic art a lot, so it's possible he's not sure what he has here. Hopefully we'll find out eventually. Maybe this will turn up on comicartfans one of these days.

Regards,

Ted

What a n00b!!!

:jokealert:

Did anyone on this board just win this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Cockrum-Marvel-Comics-Group-Sketch-Pictures-Print-/262211773218

If so, I'd be very curious to know when it arrives if the cover prelim is truly original art or not. I was considering getting this, but I couldn't tell if it was a Xerox or not, and I've gotten burned before.

How come you didn't try to clarify with the seller? Just curious. (shrug)

Based on the description, it seemed pretty clear that the seller wasn't sure what he had and as crazy as it sounds, I've found that people who don't collect art often can't tell the difference between an original and a Xerox.

On top of that, Dave often made copies of his sketches and prelims and some of them have been folded over the years. I didn't want to risk getting a copy and then having to try to return it.

Based on the scan from Alter Ego (thanks Ferran), I'm pretty sure this was just a copy as there's no apparent blue pencil in the pictures from eBay.

Thanks,

Ted

Ted, I darkened the pic and I think that there are blue lines.

Yeah, based on your detective work I'm leaning towards this being genuine OA (prelim, at least).

Understand Ted's stance on this one and, to be honest, would personally have taken this as being a print (which the seller states in his description).

I agree that many outside of the hobby wouldn't know the difference between a print and OA, but a few lines of inquiry with the seller would have been preferable to asking the buyer (should he surface), imho.

Hi, you saw what I did after refining the pics. As we all know, blue pencils from that era don't Xerox over. I have many Xerox copies (Marvel) from that era and none have the blue. Also, there is no Xerox degradation or speckle on it either. I contacted the seller and he was out of town for the holidays so couldn't answer my questions on the size of the actual art framed. I bid anyway and won, and it will be arriving Saturday so will let this forum know. I know it is authentic, but I am hoping that when it was framed that it wasn't mounted to the board: That is my only worry.

BTW - Being that this is a key cover (The first time Wolverine's own claws are used against him) what does this forum think its value would be, being that it is only prleiminary? Curious on your opinions.

Hey Tellshiar!! My old buddy from my Bill Mantlo no-prize sale!

Welcome to the boards and congrats

I've recomended you to members before for your vast expertise on Marvel ephemera. A great addition to these boards for sure!

The art has still not arrived. The tracking number he gave me says "The Post Office was Electronically Notified To Expect Receipt Of This Package" which tells me that it wasn't shipped yet. The seller told me it was, but it has been 8 days now so I am wondering what is up. Maybe this was too good to be true. I will let everyone know. The seller has great feedback.