• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To slab or not to slab, that is the question

10 posts in this topic

This is just asking if people like the idea of slabbing for preservation as opposed to slabbing for resale reasons. I know the ongoing argument about are the cases archival or not, but it seems to me that the plastic at minimum provides protection for comics. Many of the stories are available free online (from the defunct companies), so the process does not take away your ability to read the issue. If yes slab for preservation, at what grade does it make sense? Importance of the issue? Thoughts?

I slab some because it keeps sticky fingers off the books and it's easier when you decide to sell.The common books don't need to but the rare one's should just to protect them from mishandling. :fear:

Many of the stories are available free online (from the defunct companies), so the process does not take away your ability to read the issue.

Uh huh; show me a link to any Atlas or EC comic book stories.

Dig my sig.

I have 2 rooms where I display about 20 slabs (read all but 2). Anything more than that gets cracked out or sold.

I enjoy seeing my favorite books throughout the day and like the protection the slab provides them.

Like my books in mylar, I can read (or re-read) any slabbed book I have. It just takes a couple minutes longer to get it out. lol

"Shaken comic syndrome" slabbed books exist. Letting the edge of a slab slip a few inches onto a hard surface causes predictable problems.

To me, the best compromise is a book liberated from a slab. The label slipped into the back of a Mylar, behind a fullback, would provide a grade and the proof of a restoration check, while you could read and inspect such an archivally-protected book -- as could any future perspective buyer.

This is just asking if people like the idea of slabbing for preservation as opposed to slabbing for resale reasons. I know the ongoing argument about are the cases archival or not, but it seems to me that the plastic at minimum provides protection for comics. Many of the stories are available free online (from the defunct companies), so the process does not take away your ability to read the issue. If yes slab for preservation, at what grade does it make sense? Importance of the issue? Thoughts?

Handling protection, preservation and independent grade verification (for auction sales) are all excellent reasons to encapsulate books, especially 6.0 and above. Lower grade books are more discretionary, dependent upon rarity, key-status, etc.

Most comics, especially comics in the public domain from long defunct publishers, are duplicated in one format or another, but the original books, especially in high grade, are irreplaceable. My 2c

My keeper GA and SA books, I slab -- for preservation purposes and because older books to me look cool slabbed. Anything post-1970 (i.e., common-as-commodities books) I keep raw, unless it's a 9.4 or higher, in which case I prefer them slabbed.