• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Comic Art Fans Scam Alert

199 posts in this topic

Mitch, pump the brakes. Literally everything you wrote is incorrect, misguided and misinformed.

Bill is the guy who has single handedly transformed the OA collecting hobby in th least 12 years with very little benefit to himself. He is free to run his site as he sees fit. He's not afraid of anything. He's busy running his site and his business and doesn't need to entertain every attempted character assassination on every message board to prove to you he's a big strong brave man.

On the flip side we've got collectors attaching themselves like a remora to the underbelly of CAF never contributing one thin dime or one small moment of earnest appreciation to the site or Bill, and reaping the benefits of buying and selling and profiting for well over a decade. Then, when a too good to be true deal blows in in their face and they think that Bill is not moving fast enough, they are quick to imply that Bill owes them something beyond everything they've already taken for free and without heaitation.

Just once try and figure out what's going on before launching into the usual silliness.

The perfect post. Bravo!

Bill did as much as he could do here. What is he supposed to do that he didn't do? It is understood by anyone with half a brain that at no time does CAF guarantee the legitimacy of the gallery owners. His site is NOT eBay. He doesn't get a % from your little private transaction. It is a site for comic art collectors to go display their collections and look at other collectors' collections. That's it.

I'll say it. Ankur's tone was quite petulant as if Bill owed him something. No. Bill owed him nothing beyond what he did. And if his site is not the "center" of your world then don't make it a big deal if he shuts down your gallery for a day or two, right?

Remora! lol

Not to side track but didn''t Anjur sell a Cap #74 that he had graded and it came back as a 1.8. He wasn't happy with the grade so he quickly deslabbed it sold it raw as a 2.5 on these boards with no disclosure about the recent grading. I seem to recall that all the scans, etc were removed faster than you could say "CAF". Anyways, carry on.

hm, tell us more.

Not to side track but didn''t Anjur sell a Cap #74 that he had graded and it came back as a 1.8. He wasn't happy with the grade so he quickly deslabbed it sold it raw as a 2.5 on these boards with no disclosure about the recent grading. I seem to recall that all the scans, etc were removed faster than you could say "CAF". Anyways, carry on.

hm, tell us more.

:popcorn:

I'll tell you more! Here is the book in question:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=363097&Number=8211809#Post8211809

It was graded by CBCS as a 1,8 and I disagreed so it was cracked out and sold as a 2.0/2.5. The buyer of the book agreed with my grade and was Thrilled to own it. If he's reading this and having second thoughts, I will happily take the book back.

A few things which haven't been said:

I emailed Bill regarding the scammers gallery so others wouldn't be taken. When I was told her gallery was taken down, mine was at the same time. Never was I told it was temporarily until this was resolved. Bills last email to me is posted here. And the seller never sent s refund. My dispute is with my CC.

All coins & comics kept in multiple bank vaults

Box of 20:

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=1515

PCGS Registries:

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=21180

Comic Art Fans Gallery SHUT DOWN by Bill Cox

So here is my new gallery:

http://www.maryjane.allyou.net

Nice signature line....

4932-B%20Shut%20Down%20%20LA1st%20BW+Venet%20%20Gary.JPG

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

I'll tell you more! Here is the book in question:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=363097&Number=8211809#Post8211809

It was graded by CBCS as a 1,8 and I disagreed so it was cracked out and sold as a 2.0/2.5. The buyer of the book agreed with my grade and was Thrilled to own it. If he's reading this and having second thoughts, I will happily take the book back.

That's really odd that you would disagree with the Good Minus 1.8 grade when you were selling it.

I say that because you had it graded Good Minus, which is 1.8, when you were keeping it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5039536Post5039536

But when you were selling it the grade got better....as much as two full grade increments better.

Was it stored in a magic safety deposit box...a fountain of youth for comics if you will?

What would make a person change their mind like that on grade? hm

Good minus was the grade given by James Payette, the dealer I bought it from. When I asked others for their opinion (link above) they all graded it much higher. To be conservative, I graded it 2.0/2.5. Dealing in comics I'm sure you know how how subjective grading is.

As I said to you in a PM, you must have a lot of time on your hands.

Good minus was the grade given by James Payette, the dealer I bought it from. When I asked others for their opinion (link above) they all graded it much higher. To be conservative, I graded it 2.0/2.5. Dealing in comics I'm sure you know how how subjective grading is.

Right, that was Jim's grade, not yours. Which is why you said.

Yea it seems it hasnt gone up as much as others. Here is an image from when I bought it. The reason I grade it G- is due to a tear on the cover that extends from the front cover to the back cover.

I should clarify, its in one of THREE safe deposit boxes ;-) MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

von0w6.jpg

So Jim who had the book and inspected the book called it good minus....and you who owned the book, had the book in your hands, and graded the book called it good minus, but some guys on a message board who never had the book in front of them, and only had a digital camera pic of the front cover said it was better than Good minus and you decided they had to know better than the two guys (AND THE GRADING COMPANY YOU PAID TO GRADE IT) who actually had the book in their hands and called it a 1.8.

Makes me wonder...what if the guys on the boards said it was a 1.0 or 1.5 instead of 2.0 or 2.5?

I assume you'd lower the grade and take the hit, right ?

Kind of a nightmare for guys like you, I know.. (thumbs u

a bump from 1.8 to 2.5 bumps the price at least 50% in grade. 2.0 in Overstreet is $1300, 4.0 is $2600. A 1.8 might be about $$800-1000, but a 2/2.5 would be $1300-$1800. Good- to Good+ may seem minor (to OA collectors who've on since moved beyond this silly funny book business) but it's a huge difference! :whatev:

Any reason why ankur is being made out to be a villain in this thread? Sure he wasn't the most polite to bill but he's paying the consequences by being booted off of caf and living on some obscure website. Also he did get scammed out of 1.8k.

Any reason why ankur is being made out to be a villain in this thread? Sure he wasn't the most polite to bill but he's paying the consequences by being booted off of caf and living on some obscure website. Also he did get scammed out of 1.8k.

Because Bill Cox has more supporters. So damage control in the form of non related transactions are being dug up by a few members to prove a point against me.

a bump from 1.8 to 2.5 bumps the price at least 50% in grade. 2.0 in Overstreet is $1300, 4.0 is $2600. A 1.8 might be about $$800-1000, but a 2/2.5 would be $1300-$1800. Good- to Good+ may seem minor (to OA collectors who've on since moved beyond this silly funny book business) but it's a huge difference! :whatev:

Point well taken. But on the talking point about it not appearing to be a huge difference, I find GA books tend to play by a different set of rules anyway. CGC giving glue on covers a blue pass was probably my earliest introduction to this grey area of collecting. The most recent though was being told by some well-heeled dealers and collectors that ads being cut out from a GA book barely effects the grade and value, even though I consider them to be incomplete. I've certainly seen the rarity factor push a GA books value above guide price, even in low grades.

He was doing just fine before he tried to blame shift this to CAF and selectively release pieces of information. That makes people think they might not be getting the entire story. That brings other situations of questionable behavior to mind. The fact that Ankur chose to discuss the Captain America book and contradict his own earlier posts and raise additional questions about himself is not on the people asking the questions.

Had he stuck to the seller who took his money we'd probably still be on that topic. Again, his choice to drag CAF into this as another potential blame target. The problem is between CAF and Ankur, one has transformed the OA hobby with a giant contribution to it, and the other has simply profited from it and now is unhappy that caf isn't giving them even more.

No one deserves to be scammed. However, misplacing blame and feeling entitled to make demands on people who've already provided more than what is equitable is going to derail the sympathy they would normally be getting without the distraction they themselves created.

Had he stuck to the seller who took his money we'd probably still be on that topic.

I'm actually interested in this myself - any information like an email address on this person. I have no doubt that if this persons done this on CAF, they may try to perpetrate their next scam on another site.

Because Bill Cox has more supporters. So damage control in the form of non related transactions are being dug up by a few members to prove a point against me.

Of course Ankur, that's what it is. Its damage control. Your behavior in comics and comic art over a long period of time with a wide range of people is not what it is. It's not your one-note perspective of extreme self-Interest at all. It's not free loading on CAF for 12 years, soaking up profit and art and never contributing or showing appreciation and then laying the blame for your own choice to transact with someone on Bill for not doing MORE for you.

Bill had shut down that sellers page 12 hours before you came back at him telling him what to do and making your demands. You didn't even notice he had already taken action.

The captain America book isn't non-related as its part of a pattern of self-interest. It's more of the same. You get yours, no matter what. Doesn't matter if it's not Bill's problem, doesn't matter how many people grade that book 1.8, doesn't matter unless it benefits you.

We get it.

Patterning collecting in a self-absorbed manner is a crowded, near-ground spectrum in our hobby, and looks a a lot like raiders walking in single file to hide their numbers. I understand things could have been handled better by the OP, but perhaps efforts are better spent on the person who did the scamming.

Point well taken. But on the talking point about it not appearing to be a huge difference, I find GA books tend to play by a different set of rules anyway. CGC giving glue on covers a blue pass was probably my earliest introduction to this grey area of collecting. The most recent though was being told by some well-heeled dealers and collectors that ads being cut out from a GA book barely effects the grade and value, even though I consider them to be incomplete. I've certainly seen the rarity factor push a GA books value above guide price, even in low grades.

I think it's more that the three parties who actually had and inspected the book all put it at 1.8, even Ankur when it was a keeper, and it was only when it was for sale and he found random dudes looking at a digi pic that gave it a better grade that it became a better grade.

It's not the amount of money, it's not the grading vagaries of cgc, it's the clear motivation demonstrated in a book having different grades when being kept and when being for sale. The way people handle interactions and transactions, even in small amounts, speak volumes to who they really are.

My grandfather used to tell me "when someone does you the courtesy of showing you who they really are, have the wisdom to take a good long look."

Patterning collecting in a self-absorbed manner is a crowded, near-ground spectrum in our hobby, and is a lot like raiders walking in single file to hide their numbers. I understand things could have been handled better by the OP, but perhaps efforts are better spent on the person who did the scamming.

The section in bold is what I've been telling the OP.

But regarding self-absorption, you and I could walk down an artists alley at a major convention and I could get some artists yo tell you some amazing stories of bad behavior and self absorption. As in all things there are degrees and extremes.